Trekking and altitude

Hi all!
I'm gearing up to do the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in just a few weeks. Super excited and getting all my kit together. The main thing I'm wondering about is how my body will react to the altitude since I live at sea level. Does anyone else have an experience similar to this - going from sea level to altitude PLUS doing a bunch of exercise at altitude?
I'm planning on taking Diamox but have heard it can interfere with the effectiveness of the Dexcom. Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi all -
Just wanted to circle back and share my experiences from the trail. The only effect I could see from the Diamox is that it would make me go low the hour after I took it. Nothing dramatic - but pretty consistent.

Altitude changes seemed to be okay except for the first day of the hike. I'm wondering if it's because we went from 11k ft, then drove down to 8k ft and started the hike. It was super wacky - going super high then super low all day. I've never had that happen on other similar hiking days, so I'm guessing it was the altitude. Anyone else have experience with that?

2 Likes