TROUBLE in the department store

oh yeah, that worries me so much when people say they have diabetes and i ask what type and they don’t know. generally in that case i assume type 2 because some type 2s can manage without medication and i figure most type 1s will know that they are on insulin unless they are very young/old or have other cognitive issues.
but i think to myself ‘how could you not know? knowledge about your condition helps you take care of it better’

I asked that when one of my neighbors told me she was diabetic - she said she did not know that there were different types. She kept saying her diabetes was good, but when I asked her about her A1c (which normally I would never ask anyone that question but got tired of her saying she was the good one) and she did not have any idea what it was.

Sure, why have a fight with an idiot, he was probably tot’en a gun.

Lol

Absolutely you did the right thing. You can’t cure that much ignorance and rudeness in a few minutes. He’s been working his entire life at getting that ignorant and rude.

Hugs to you and to your cool head in a crisis.

Just…wow. It’s hard to believe the willful ignorance of some people WITH diabetes, but then again, perhaps she’s got one of those docs that say, “Take metformin, lose 20-lbs and I’ll see you in three months.” How would they learn anything different?

As Forrest Gump said “Stupid is as Stupid does” LOL

you did the right thing…ironic thing is He is probably facing the possibility of diabetes and is trying to talk himself out of it.

BTW, what is this medal thing? never heard of it.

Here’s about the medal thing Janet. Diabetics who survive Diabetes for 50 years receive a medal. I will be the first one in all of our Family(that I know of) to make it to 50 years with Diabetes.

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/the-joslin-medalist-study

Good reply would of been; Your ignorance superseded your arrogance. Have a great day SIR…

I want to make it clear that this man was looking for a fight and I was not!

JB.

It’s always essential to be two to start a fight. You did the right thing. Who is so idiot to make a sort of reading in diseases?

Yes. Do whatever you feel you want to at the time the incident occurs. If you want to educate, you can do it. But, doubt if it would work in this case. If you want to tell the person off, go for it. And if you just can’t be bothered and want to go about your day, you are entitled. You do not have an obligation to be a diabetes educator 24/7, 365 days a year. I am so sorry you were subjected to such inappropriate behavior and however you respond at the time is the right way to respond.

Johanna and I thank you all for this great response!

JB.

You did the right thing. I just saw an infectious disease doctor that I’m quite positive couldn’t have told me the difference between T1 and T2.

SuFu

As someone said, you have to pick your fights. This man did not want to hear what anyone had to say, he just wanted to complain and it sounds like he was irrationally irate. While we can try to educate sane people along the way, sometimes it’s best to just walk away from those who clearly would not gain anything from our response. I blame A LOT of this misinformation on the media. Everyday I see commercials or news articles that do not clearly specify what type of diabetes is being discussed. I must admit, if I did not have Type 1, I would not know the difference from things I hear from the media. I wish there would be more PSA’s about diabetes because unfortunately I think many people have this man’s views. My mom, bless her, but it took me a year to get through to her that it was carbs I had to worry about, not sugar.

I have had to have part of my foot removed due to D and I have a handicapped parking permit. I walk fairly normal but do use a cane. I parked at a local store to go shopping one day and as I got out of the truck a guy walked up to me and said, “You don’t look handicapped to me.” I looked at him and told him he didn’t look like the Dr that removed half of my foot either. His wife started chewing him out royally.

Don’t know which was better, my comeback or him getting chewed on all the way home. I have seen him twice since then and neither time would he even look my way…

You did the right thing… you can’t fix stupid!

I think you did the right thing. I think this person was hurting and maybe even angry over either having cancer or someone close by having it.

i have a coworker who is getting her nursing degree, she has type 2 and never tests at home. i’m so scared for her. she had no idea that smelling ketones when she urinates isn’t normal