Trying desperately to lower sugar through diet and exercise...help!

I was diagnosed as type 2 in August. I have about fifty pounds I need to loose. I’m having a REALLY hard time. It’s difficult for me to get to the gym and I’m struggling with learning how to eat properly and sticking to it. Currently, I’m trying to lower through diet and exercise, along with a ton of supplements that my doc/nutritionist reccommended. Some days I’m wildly successful, with pre-meal levels at 112-125. Other days, it’s an unmitigated disaster and my numbers are near 200 all day. I DO have a prescrption for Glucophage, which I filled, and which my doctor has said I will need to start taking soon if my numbers don’t stay down more consistently with the way I’m currently attempting. I’m scared to death to take the Glucophage because I’ve heard it makes people really nauseous, and I also really want to try to lower my sugars in a more natural way. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Also…how long do I continue trying in the current way before I just surrender and take the meds? I feel so clueless and I really need some suggestions. Thanks!

Hi Jenna,
I’m struggling along too. I have been able to find a few things that help when I apply:)sigh… I am not as disciplined as I wish I were. Try eating veggies/fruits with all your meals. (try eating them raw… great fiber and higher in nutrition.) Or go for steamed or broiled with seasonings no fats. It will help alot.
Also, if you can manage a walk before meals… 15 to 20 minutes is pretty good. Or, I’ve found that when I do the exercise program from T-Tapp.com to be very helpful. I’m not an aerobic person:) I use the MORE dvd as it is more stretching and easy to do. ( when I do it. I do need to work on consistency.)
Hang in there!
MeadowLark

Jenna,
If you try a very low carb diet for a while you will find that you have better BG numbers and will probably also lose about 20-25 pounds fairly quickly. This will make you feel better and give you an added incentive to keep up the new way of eating. I don’t know what you are currently eating but I suggest that in addition to giving up sugar, you try cutting out all baked goods, (anything made with flour), bananas, fruit juice, pasta, potatoes, grains- rice, corn, oatmeal, cereal etc. Instead of these things try eggs for breakfast, and for lunch and dinner have meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salads and vegetables. For snacks and treats try sugar-free jello, sliced apples with peanut butter, vegetables and dip. if you stick with the low fat diet that has probably been recommended to you, you will have high BG and you will NOT lose weight. I am speaking from experience since when I was diagnosed I was told to eat 16 servings a day of carbohydrates and my BG would be up at 180 for much of the day. I am Type 1 but am so early that I don’t use insulin except once in a while and I manage with diet and exercise to keep my BG under 120 at all times. Please try a low carb diet for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference. You can have a higher fat diet if you cut back on the carbs. Don’t try to do low fat as well as low carb as you will not find enought things to eat. One more thing- I usually find that a 20 minute walk after eating helps bring the BG down.

I’ve found dieticians aren’t aware of the facts shown in this graph

The graph is from an interesting symposium presentation by Professor Jovanovic at:
http://www.diabetes-symposium.org/index.php?menu=view&id=404

I was dignosed over4 years ago and have recently come to low carb eating. I take Metformin( Glocophage) twice daily (500mg) It has never caused me any problems. I was also taking Gliclazide and Starlix. I have completely dropped the Gliclazide and keep Starlix for when I sli[p off the wagon and eat a carbohydrate. Exercise doesn’t lower my sugars much, but an hour pretty much every day of walking or water exercise has made me much fitter.( I’m 60) I started by reducing carbs to about 20 grams a day, but since I want to lose more weight( I’ve lost 30pounds in the last 6 months) and the loss has stalled, I’m tightening up to only those carbs which are present in green vegetables and an occasional apple or pear or some berries. Try a diet based on meat, fish, eggs, cheese and leafy greens. the occasional tiny portion of steamed or boiled potato won’t do too much harm. Remember that it’s your eyesight and your feet, which you are protecting. That might help with the motivation.
Metformin is the name for Glucophage, which is used most often in Britain. It acts by making your cells more sensitive to insulin. Insulin is the hormone, which makes you put on weight and type 2s usually have too much of it, so adding to it by using other medication makes weightloss impossible. Exercise is meant to increase insulin sensitivity. Take the Glucophage; it’s safe. If it upsets your digestive system, take it WITH meals. The upset will diminish as you adjust to it.
I read somewhere that a dieticiaan with a diabetes practice has never had a patient able to controll the condition on the recommended ADA diet and exercise regime. the carbohydrate intake is just too much. If you don’t consume the stuff, you won’t need to deal with it. You MUST get those numbers down.

Cut back on your carbs. WAY back. Metformin alone will not normalize blood sugars as high as what you describe. Cutting carbs along with metformin should give you normal blood sugars.

Check out this site, which hundreds of people have used to normalize their blood sugars:

http:alt-support-diabetes.org/newlydiagnosed.htm

Please do not be afraid to take Glucophage. It is a very old and and very safe drug. When you are first on it, it may give you a little diarrhea, a little stomachache, or maybe just gas. You must stick with it and the early symptoms will disappear.
I am on a program of 2-3 metformin pills a day, plus lower carb—meaning 60 grams of carbs per meal, and exercise.
Over one year, I have lost 60 pounds and eat more than I ever did on a low fat meal plan. My A1C is between 4-6 which is an excellent reading. I maintain tight control and have felt better than I have ever felt. Have protein with every meal, lots of vegetables and some fruits, and nuts every day. Also, a big help to my lifestyle is the 9 carb bread. You can even have two sandwiches and veggies and will lose weight. Metformin/glucophage will help you lose weight and you will do it more effectively than you ever have before. If you can keep your numbers tight by diet and exercise alone, then do it. However, I know that with metformin and the 60 gr. of carbs per meal, I will continue to lose weight. Be positive with yourself and lose it slowly over a year.

My doctor has said that I am a model patient and my nutritionist called me her “star”. You must see it as a lifestyle change and it will contribute to better health for you. Foods that I eat: turkey, salami, 9 carb bread, olives, salads, veggies, fruit with a protein, cheeses, turkey wrapped around pickles with mustard, eggs, bacon, pork & chicken, low carb yogurt. The protein stays in your system longer and keeps you feeling satisfied. I also make a pasta concoction: just sliced mushrooms, tomato sauce and cheeses, but no pasta. It still tastes good. Get creative and watch your carb count and you will see your weight go down and down without experiencing hunger. You need to look at it as being good to yourself, caring for yourself and your health. I am really shocked and amazed at how easy and how well that I have done. I know that you can do it too.~~

I was diagnosed in 1995. Same situation as you. I took the glucophage for 1 month, but didn’t want to be on meds so I ate right and walked every day at lunch time Mon-Fri. Lost a little weight and then stopped taking the meds and learned how to rollerblade. Eventually working my way up to 10 miles per day 3 to 4 times a week. Lost about 70lbs and was able to stay off the meds for several years. So it def. is possible. Stay off the sulph. meds as long as possible, don’t take avandia, actos, or januvia as they’ll hurt you more than they’ll help…been there done that. I’m on several meds now, but don’t let that discourage you. You can do it! Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions. Rich