Struggling with losing weight and my type 2

Hello all I am struggling with my type 2, I have read several books on diabetes, and to be honest they all say something opposite from the other. So needless to say, I am confused. But, it a nutshell, isnt it about cutting carbs? Any help or suggestion would be helpful, because right now, I am managing NOTHING...

Your glucose meter will be your friend as you sort out what you can and cannot eat. Also exercise is very important as Fraser said. I do vigorous exercise at least 4 times a week. I work 12 hour shifts as a nurse and have two small children so if you are motivated it can be done. I got into running after I got diagnosed and just completed my first 15k last Sunday. Of course, it was the Hot Chocolate run. They gave out all sorts of chocolate goodies. I gave myself permission to have the small cup of hot cocoa and a chocolate dipped banana for all my hard work. The rest I gave to my kid lets. Of course I had a blood sugar over 200. :(. And for some of us, it’s not only about losing weight. I was only 115 lbs when I got diagnosed. I now weigh 106 and my blood sugars are still high. High enough for some insulin.

Hi Debbie! I disagree with reducing whole food carbohydrates. If things are not going the way you like with BG management and weight loss by reducing your carbs and you would like to try something different, here are some other resources:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-resources/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ijukNzlUg (available on Netflix & Hulu Plus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR09A_eDsiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqLB6bTuQ
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/uprooting-the-leading-causes-of-death/

I hope you find something that works for you soon!

Diet is always a bit like religion. Everyone has different one and we should respect everyone's personal choice.

That being said, as others have noted, there are lots of books out there that give all kinds of often conflicted answers. And the medical profession has done a terrible job in providing sound nutrition advice. But over the years as I have looked at this issue, I've concluded that it is the carbs that raise your blood sugar and the core principle is restricting carbs. Some people may get by with eating a modest number of carbs, others have success switching simple carbs for complex carbs. In the end, I found I got the best blood sugar control with a very low carb diet, less than 50 g /day. Good examples of diets in this class are "The New Atkins for a New You,"Diet 101" and "Diabetes Solution."

I hope you can find a diabetes class in your area!

Debbie,
I really like www.dLife.com
you can look up recipes by ingredients, and they are labeled "low carb" or not.
The Diabetes Solution book is my #1 favorite.
And going lower carb (30 grams per meal) is the BEST thing I ever did! I finally felt in control of this diabetes. The first week or so I had to fight sugar cravings but now... NO cravings! I only wish I'd known about cutting carbs earlier.
Good luck to you!

Debbie,
one last thing, I found at the grocery store, this magazine by Better Homes and Gardens with low carb recipes. :)
and this one: http://www.prevention.com/lets-outsmart-diabetes#.

they both have web sites and both highly rec. cutting out processed, refined foods and lowering your carb intake.

Hi Fraser! I have been checking out the work of the above-featured doctors for a while now. I tried a different approach to how I was eating and it's worked very well for me.

Thank you all so much for your tips and advice, I have tried low carb but maybe i limit myself to much,because i find it hard to stay on it. I have a Dr. Appointment April 17th, and I have ordered some books so hopefully, I will this get myself straight.

Debbie, I was very skeptical about low-carb before I really got busy educating myself. I was surprised to find how much great stuff I can eat, all the super recipes and so forth out there, cook books, etc.

I love omelettes. And bacon. A cheese/mushroom/bacon omelette is an ideal low-carb breakfast -- that's my Saturday breakfast!

Just a single example. Now, to be fair, I absolutely love, crave, die for so many high carb foods. I must have a milk-craving gene for instance.

So, I just factor modest amounts of those things into my overall diet, but plan around protein and fat.

The most important thing in losing weight, is total energy in the food: Calories. Watch that, plan around that, and you'll lose weight. There are all sorts of theories, some backed with tentative real data, that implicated carbs and insulin in affecting the dynamics of weight loss. I have no doubt there's something to this.

However, biology can not defy physics. If you use more calories in any period than you consume, you will lose weight. The physics law of Conservation of Energy.More out than in, the difference must come from somewhere.

"Low-carb" for me is under 100g a day, pushing to 75g if I can do it. Compared to what FitnessPal recommends for a man my age, height, weight, and physical activity, this is very low carb :-)

Anyway, my love of milk is satisfied 2-3 days a week with a 16oz glass in the evening, 22g carb. No big deal, there's plenty left (78g) for the rest of my diet that day.

myfitnesspal.com has a great food logging tool that can help you track your food. You can use it to record your bg readings too. Then review and compare what is working and not working for you. Everyone has a sure diet plan but the reality is, you need to find what works for you. I have found the very low carb makes me feel ill and lack energy yet doesn't lower my bg any more than a moderate intake of carbs. So I eat to my meter. I had to learn what foods were bad for me and which weren't. I have found that I can eat oatmeal, a rather high carb food and it doesn't affect my bg any more than eating a couple eggs. You sometimes need to revisit a food too. There was a point a few years ago where oatmeal shot me up to about 250.

It is all an experiment. I think the first and most important step is recording what you eat, exercise and bg to figure out what works and doesn't work.

Hi Debbie, I really understand what you are going through. I have read so many books to and was just as confused. The only 2 things that I found that was consistent in most of the books was cutting carbs and focusing on portion size. I am finally losing weight slowly but I am losing. I try not to exceed 180 carbs a day. That is 45 carbs per meal and 45 carbs I break up into snacking through out the day.

Debbie, it is very confusing when opinions and information contradict themselves, and then the docs do the same. You do have to decide what works for you. I learned well into this journey that the number of carbs I was eating wasn't enough,,,,cutting them too low will harm other systems, Some say that between 30 - 45 a meal is right, but needing to loose weight myself (like 100 lbs) that was too much, I picked carbs for meals that were "good" carbs that acted a long time (and you can get that list by goggling it with "good carbs") My snacks were always at about 15 carbs; three times a day and always a protein snack before bed. Lots of water, and fluids. And now they tell me exercise, exercise is the way to get the weight off when I am eating that number of carbs, The best advice I got was to see a nutritionist or dietican and a diabetic educator to walk you through this, insurance will normally pay for this, if ordered by a doc. And then journal what foods raise your numbers and what foods or activities lower your sugars....keeping track will give you a guide line to refer back to, Good luck, hang with us, if you are troubled by something, there's got to be someone here who has been there too,

great comments, work and suggestions, Sdkate!

Rice.
Bread.
Pasta
Potatoes.
Sugar.

I'm type 1.5 which has characteristics of type 1 and type 2. Anyway, at first, I followed the directions of my diabetes educator who said EAT WHOLE GRAINS, blah blah blah. After starting insulin, all I did was pack on the pounds. I did some research and came across some interesting stuff from the author of the book "Wheat Belly". I started tracking my sugars after eating "Whole Grains" and they were making me sore into the 200-300's! I started low carb and within one month I had lost 20 lbs and my blood sugars are STABLE! I've made my doctor a believer in low carb.

Just to clarify, "Type 1.5" also known as LADA doesn't have characteristics of Type 2. It is Type 1, just with a slower onset.

My statement wasn't very clear but to make myself more clear LADA CAN have characteristics of Type 2 in that some people with LADA, such as myself, also have insulin resistance which is much more prevalent in people with Type 2 diabetes than those with Type 1. It's insulin resistance that makes it especially difficult for diabetics who are trying to lose weight.

I found that by significantly reducing my consumption of fat by eliminating oils, nuts, seeds, avocado, and animal products, my insulin sensitivity increased a lot. Fat makes up about 6-10% of my total caloric intake. I eat about 350g-550g of unprocessed carbohydrates per day and take about half the insulin I used to take. My A1c went down, my cholesterol went down, and I dropped 40 pounds. All these things continue to trend in that direction.

My understanding is that when one's fat intake exceeds 12-15% of total caloric intake, it creates a situation where the muscle cells are surrounded with too much fat, sludging up the insulin receptors. This appears to be true whether one is dealing with type 1, type 1.5, or type 2. So when one eats the typical amount of carbohydrates recommended (even whole, unprocessed ones) along with the typical Western 30-40% of calories from fat, the glucose gets stuck sitting in the blood. But when one gets the total fat intake at or below 12-15%, the receptors clear up and the glucose can go where it needs to go into the muscle cells.

Eating this way has worked wonderfully for me for every aspect for my health, including my glucose control. I just wanted to share this information.

Well, that's interesting. I've never heard of that before. It totally goes against my personal experience, but I guess One Size Does NOT Fit All with this disease.

This description is not consistent with our current scientific understanding of how our bodies work. Fat does not "sludge" up anything. I've heard many similar pseudo science claims about fat. If you could provide some reference for all this, I'd be happy to read it.