Turned off 12 hr shut off on tandem?

That alarm always surprises me too because I’m always doing micro corrections. But on days when I skip a meal and I’m laying flat a long time, it happens from time to time.
Even if it shuts off insulin, you just cancel the alarm and it starts back up. It’s not more than a couple of seconds.
It’s not likely to cause my sugar to increase unless I didn’t hear it.
I too move into DKA fast. I take 10 units of Lantus every morning. I do that to keep my sites from being overwhelmed but it has a side benefit of preventing DKA in cases like this or site failures etc.

1 Like

Did you read my post? It happened twice while I was asleep. It was just luck that I woke up. Once it was off for an hour before I woke up. That is dangerous.

I didn’t go on a pump so I could take long acting insulin as well. La was very unstable for me and caused terrible, hard to treat lows as well as bad highs.

1 Like

I was just saying a very small dose of lantus helps me. I use a pump to stay in better control. Not to avoid taking a long acting insulin.
I do hear your frustration. Not everyone can fit neatly into a box. Sometime we need to try different things to get us on track.

I am glad that works for you but it would not for me. Even if I thought that was a solution 10 units would be a huge dose for me. Anyway the issue has been resolved partially because you can shut that function off entirely.

I recognize that this was set in place as a safety precaution, but the flip side of this is what is more likely to happen: being unconscious somewhere and not able to respond to your pump for 12 hours or just having such good control that you do not physically need to interact with the pump for 12 hours? The second is far more likely and as a result, this ‘safety’ feature actually causes harm by shutting off insulin. I have often wondered what the value is of having a shut-down of basal insulin which is supposed to keep your bg constantly balanced when you are unconscious - that is when I would want my pump to keep functioning properly as high blood glucose levels can put you into DKA very quickly. I turned this function off on my Animas pump after it kept shutting down after 12 hours of no contact because I bolused through the remote glucometer (a feature I miss). I turned it off on this pump when I got it and it has never been a problem.

1 Like

Haven’t thought about this lark for a long time. When I first got my Tandem pump, I got that darn 12 hour alert alarm because for me one of the biggest joys of a pump, is being able to sleep in and not have to worry about taking an injection! So with the first pump, there was no way to deal with it. But this one it is turned off and my pump turns on and off but I am using Control IQ. I am not sure if you are just using it as a pump what the pump would do. I am guessing if the algorithm is not working it won’t shut off. But for your mental well being, I would send your question through email. I always seem to get good answers that way. Not sure if there is just one person who handles those questions or if it’s whoever is available. The other route is to contact your pump trainer. Good luck with getting an answer.
And I am so very thankful that most everything diabetes related works for me just like it was designed! So, very, very happy about that!

1 Like

I think it is an FDA approval requirement that it be available.

1 Like

I have my answer, you just shut off the alert and it can’t turn off the insulin- yay😀

On the new pump which I now have because they sent me a new one instead of the refurb, the software menu is different, there was more clicking around that you have to do, you have to save it with a green arrow to make sure you have really shut it off. So make sure you click the green arrow!

All of these green arrows and extra clicks in this new software are really annoying to me. Everything is in a different place and twice now already when I was trying to change my temp rate I went to the wrong part of the pump because they changed where that is. I guess I will get used to it in time.

So I’m updating that the brand-new pump that took a day longer than they said it would take to get here and I finally started up and used for a day just failed!

I woke up after sleeping again maybe 4 hours went to check my pump and it would not turn on…plugged it in to the charging cord to try and get the top button to work and all of a sudden it turns on and says there is an emergency the pump is a failure contact Tandem… it’s going to shut off or charging and blah blah blah.

I can’t freaking believe this. Thank goodness I did not send back yet my original or the refurb they sent me . I immediately switched back to the original.

A women on the phone from Tandem threatens me saying if I don’t send the pumps back in 10 days I’m going to get charged for the whole amount of the pump WTF? You are going to charge me at all let alone for a pump that freaking failed, two of them!!, what the **** are you on about? When I called her out on that she says we have to say that to everybody – I said guess what, you’re the only one who’s ever said that to me.

No one has ever said anything so ridiculous to me. My reply was thank goodness I did not send anything back to you yet because then I would have a failure and no pump.

Then she says oh let me help you figure out how to turn off the pump alarm, lol, because it must be causing me stress. I said what’s really causing me stress is that I was asleep and once again my pump failed and this time I know I’ve been deprived of insulin for longer because my blood sugar was starting to spike up. And now you’re threatening me I’m gonna get charged the full price of the pump if it doesn’t get back there in 10 days when you’re not even gonna send me a new one until Wednesday.

They are sending me a new one which won’t get here until Wednesday so I assume that means they’re not gonna charge me for not sending the other ones back and guess what I’m not sending anything back until I’ve use the other one for a few days to make sure it won’t fail too.

I am really losing faith in Tandem and the quality of the people they hire. I know I still have my old pump somewhere that just went out of warranty and was not replaced- I wish I could remember where it is because it still probably works and then if I have a failure like this again at least I have a back up until I get a replacement.

I asked her can you please have this pump checked out properly before you send it to me the next supposedly new one. She said they are all in a warehouse, they get shipped out from there so they can’t possibly check it out.

I noticed when I turned the new pump on and I was setting it up with help from a nice person from Tandem, one of the few, on the phone. I noticed that the date said something like January 8 and then 4 years ago. That makes me very suspicious- she tried to say that that was because that was when Software was put on the pump or something to that effect.

1 Like

All the pump companies say things like that. They want to be sure you are not getting 2 pumps for the price of 1.
I pretty much ignore the comment. I get my new one going and. Send back the other.

I only had one issue with tandem and thst was the charging port. I was not very kind to it and the flap broke and I never replaced it so it was partially my fault. I haven’t had any trouble with it since.

My Medtronic pump I only sent back one time in 5 years.

And my Animas pump I sent back at least 20 times. The pump was made of a weird composite that would crack and it would begin to crack all the way through and it kept happening.
They said I was overtightening the cap, but my Medtronic had a silimar cap that never cause it to crack.

Anyway, my point is, that these pumps are very complicated and a lot of things can go wrong.

1 Like

Please read what I wrote, this NOT two pumps for the price of one, these are 2 failed, non functioning pumps. One of which is my original pump which has already been paid for and is still under warranty. Another thing- the last person I spoke to before they had shipped me the new one was trying to say my pump wasn’t under warranty anymore, lol, she said it was December 2022 and I said well it’s still under warranty- so she was trying to do anything she could not to give me a pump replacement. That is not the way a pump company should operate.

I have had my pump replaced on 3 occasions due to failure. No one has ever said that before. Since I have not had another brand of pump I don’t know what other companies say but no one at Tandem has ever said that to me so please don’t try to excuse what she said.

In this situation they should be apologizing to me that I’m going through this with two pump failures one which is supposedly brand-new which they just sent to me- instead they’re harassing me. And for the first phone call the man should be fired- please read my description of what happened.

There is no way you should tell somebody who’s pump just failed who could’ve ended up in the hospital that they’re going to be charged for a pump, or now pumps because it’s multiple failures, that don’t even work, that’s ludicrous. Because the pump does not get back in 10 days.

Fortunately I did not send the other two back which would be my original and a refurb which wasn’t even used because I would now have no pump and I would have had to go onto long acting.

Having multiple failures like this is not acceptable, nor is harassing people when they happen.

This is happened before with Tandem- my first failure was not long into my first pump maybe a year after, the top button failed but I was still able to get into the menu to do what I needed to do it as long as I had it connected to a little portable charger I had. They shipped me a refurb two days later. I switched to that one and that one failed the same day- same thing, a top button failure. I called them up and they sent me a brand new pump couriered overnight on a Sunday.

That one was ok but I did not send back any pump until I was sure and there was no threat of charging me. You cannot charge somebody for a failed pump which should probably be thrown away.

Obviously they have problems because this is the second time this is happened when I had a pump failure and they sent me a pump which failed immediately again. She also admitted that the new pump which was sent to me had been sitting in the warehouse for who knows how long so they don’t even bother to check anything to make sure it’s actually working before they send it to you.

I understand what you said but tandem wants the broken ones back so no one can claim it’s broken and then have a second pump for free. Look at it from their perspective

1 Like

I am very pleased with my newer Tandem pump and I was delighted with the Medtronic 770. I sent the MedT back 3 times in six years, each time it had an electrical malfunction, twice in an airplane. I was an early adopter and the early ones had an air pressure issue.

Yes each time they wanted them back. Why? So they could determine the issue make model adjustments and as time went on the version improved and my last one lasted 4 years.

1 Like

Look at from my perspective and that of all diabetics using a pump.

My pump failed and now they are harassing me, actually the first man harassed me from the start and got me into a panic. They sent me a pump that then failed on day one while I was asleep, they should be apologizing, concerend for my welfare, and not demanding that I send something back within 10 days and then be stranded without a pump.

After I received a threatening email saying my original pump was not back and I could be charged blah blah blah, I spoke to a supervisor and I told him what was going on. He said he’s making a note on my chart that the pump will be sent back after I get the next new pump.

And guess what I’ve got four pumps now, two of which failed, the one I’m still using is my original which still delivers insulin because they sent me the wrong one this time, lol. I tried to start up the pump they just sent but I already knew that it was another refurb and they said they were going to send me a new one- it did the same thing the one that failed did when I started it it said it had 5% battery charge and then jumped to 100%. When that had happened on the new pump that failed on day one the tech told me that means there’s something wrong with it. So for all I know if I had tried to use this refurb with a different software on it that could’ve failed on me too.

I was so fed up with dealing with this crap that I was just gonna use this one.

The person I was speaking with when I was trying to start up the pump they just sent yesterday told me that it’s the wrong one, she finally agreed (It took a while to get her to agree this was not a new pump so I knew more than she did- that if it has more than six serial numbers it’s not a new pump) and then she said it has new software on it and I’m not allowed to use it anyway because you have to be trained to do that- the menu was totally different.

So again this is their error, they have sent me the wrong pump. So now I have to send this one back and the new one isn’t getting here until tomorrow at which point I will have five pumps!

I say LOL but there is nothing funny about this and it is causing me a great deal of stress. Having to worry about sending all of these pumps back to them- this is all their error, not mine. And also having to wonder if they’re going to send me a pump that actually works or I’m gonna wake up again with no insulin this time maybe ending up in the hospital.

This is not the way a company should operate so no I am not going to look at it from their perspective and this is my last reply on this.

This company is full of incompetence and people who don’t know what they’re doing, that is the fact. I realize it is human to err but this is getting beyond ridiculous what is going on here and I have other things in my life, very important matters, that I have to deal with and this is causing me unnecessary stress.

Fortunately I do not have to deal with them very much at all I never upload any data from my pumps, it’s only done at my endo office occasionally. I like this pump so I will be sticking with it however I do not like dealing with this company now, they have a really become a disaster zone in my I opinion. They are taking the wrong tack by attacking their customers and maltreating them.

I have complained to at least three people about how I was treated by that first man on the first phone call and I have yet to hear if anything has come of that.

I have no problem sending these pumps back, the issue is they are harassing me and they are having repeated failures- that is not what should be going on here.

I should be given ample time to send a pump back to them and if the pump is still working to pump insulin and I need it, I should be given time to decide whether the new pump is actually not going to fail on me while I’m asleep.

This is beyond ridiculous what is going on here and this is not the first time I’ve had problems with them- my very first pump after one year- the top button failed so they sent me a refurb and the top button filled on that on day one.

Fortunately, I was able to use it, I believe I was still using the original one, by connecting it to a charger, that way I could get into the menu and do what I needed to do.

At that point when the refurb failed I complained to them and they couriered me a brand new pump overnight on a Sunday, which I had no problems with after that.

Nobody harassed me about sending the failed pumps back to them in a time frame. In fact they terrorized me by saying I was not allowed to send it back until it stopped beeping and I had to let the battery run down so one of them I left in my studio in a box for two weeks I believe- then somebody called me up and said where is the other pump- I had forgotten about it and then I shipped it back to them. I was never threatened etc. saying I’m going to be charged for a non-functioning pump!

The only off-color thing someone said to me which I vaguely remember was, was I doing something to the pump to cause the top button to fail…LOL

Thanks for the note, but honestly I was not responding to you personally. I was responding generally to Timothy.

1 Like