Type 1 and Thyroid issues but normal labs?

I have celiac disease and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. My Hashimoto’s started as an enlarged thyroid (felt by my MD). He prescribed a tiny dose of Thyroid replacement (20 years ago) in the hopes of delaying the destruction of my thyroid. I am not sure it worked, but it took about 10 years for my dosage to change. My thyroid antibodies were over initially 4,000! The thyroid replacement did seem to help with the antibodies, but only lowered it to 2,000. My enlargement did not change.

Fifteen years later, I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I probably had it my entire life but went undiagnosed. Going gluten free eliminated my thyroid enlargement and nodules. My antibodies are still high but just around 300. They might have been lowered even more, but my last thyroid antibodies test occurred after a Gluten exposure. I learned that triggering my celiac disease can affect other antibodies as well because I was diagnosed with autoimmune gastritis and hives after that hidden gluten exposure (I would never knowingly consume gluten).

Please get tested for celiac disease first before going gluten free. Hashimoto’s, TD1 and celiac disease are commonly linked. Celiac disease is definitely genetic. A diagnosis can help other family members get tested as symptomatic celiacs exist (intestinal damage, no symptoms).

Gluten is not everywhere. People need to learn to read labels and concern themselves with only those items that could be ingested. I have yet to find a toothpaste that contains gluten. Making sure your lipstick is gluten free is critical. More worrisome are drugs since the FDA does not require pharmaceutical companies to adhere to the gluten free guidelines that food manufacturers need to follow (e.g. Kraft, Nestle, ConAgra). Yes, processed food is safer but pharmaceuticals are not. Every drug must be checked and verified with a phone call to check inactive ingredients.

Thanks for all of the information everyone. Well I guess you can have normal labs and still have autoimmune Thyroid or other issues with your glands. My Peroxidase Antibody test was positive and my Endo said that confirms the Hasimoto’s. My Thyroid is still swollen so I will have the ultrasound test too. Since my TSH and T4 are normal my doctor doesn’t want to treat with hormones yet. They also said avoid raw Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower and Soy products. I’m glad to at least know this could be why I am so tired.

Thanks, that must not be fun dealing with those multiple autoimmune. I definitely can relate though. I have Autoimmune Arthritis too. I had a biopsy done recently during an upper endoscopy and my doctor ruled out Celiac.

Consider the Autoimmune Protocol diet (which has a gluten free component) to possibly help treat your Hashimoto’s. There was a small study done out of Scripps in San Diego with IBD patients (E.g. Crohn’s) who achieved a 76% remission rate in just a few months. They are now crowd funding to test the diet and it effectiveness for Hashimoto’s.

Foods just might be able to heal or help with the management of chronic illnesses. I am a huge believer. My thyroid is normal sized now and my nodules are gone. I manage my celiac disease, Hashimoto’s and TD2 with a diet designed to meet my needs. The only drug I take is a hormone replacement as my thyroid is permanently damaged.

Thanks for the information. I’m not sure if I could do Gluten free. I have stomach issues from my Type 1 Diabetes and already eat a limited amount of foods. A lot of the foods I can eat have Gluten and those almost never make me nauseous. I might talk to a dietitian though sometime to see what options are out there.