Type one supplies abroad

So I am a type one diabetic with some other health issues. Do you all know reasons health wise I couldn’t move with my significant other out of the us?

If I were you, I would make sure you can access everything you need in the country you are moving to.

I know a young woman moving to Africa. In the country she is going, dexcom is not available and is not covered by the national insurance.

She therefore she will not have CGM unless her parents or someone will send them to her and pay full price.

Her insulin pens are available and covered.

But you need to find out the reality depending where you go. Then make the decision if you can work it out.

1 Like

I’ve moved this to be its own topic, as it seems like it would be of interest to others, and the original topic it was a reply to wasn’t a very good fit.

Welcome to TUD @Liz2000! We need to know more about your situation in order to answer this, though @Timothy’s reply is a start. Main questions would be

1. what is your current diabetes regimen—injections? pump? CGM? type(s) of insulin?
  2. What country or countries are you thinking of relocating to?

T1 should not be an insurmountable barrier to relocating to the UK and most European countries, though there will be adjustments. Those range from different units of measurement (mmol vs mdl for instance; Google provides a handy conversion chart here: diabetes measurements conversion - Google Search) to some degree of variability in the version or brands of pumps and pump supplies that may be available. The most well-established brands (e.g. Medtronic) tend to have the most robust distribution networks. National health care systems can be generous about basic care, but may have restrictions for things like CGMs that wouldn’t affect you over here. Analog insulins like Lantus and Novolog will be available in developed countries, but in some less-developed countries Regular and NPH insulins are still the standard and analogs harder to come by. If I were facing this question I would contact Medtronic and Dexcom to see what they could tell me about availability in the destination country.

This is going to be a complicated and tricky thing - getting acquainted with a foreign healthcare system. Lord knows that it is hard enough to understand our domestic one. Of course, a lot depends on which country you are moving to. I want to set reasonable expectations - that you propose doing something challenging, but not impossible.