Type1 arrested in NYC for injecting on subway

I grew up in NYC. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was profiling.

This is sad: 1) because all he did was put his foot on the seat for a second, and 2) because I think we can relate to how it feels to be missing some insulin in the body, and how he was deprived of medicine and treated like an animal. Its shocking. I’d love a word or 2 with that cop.

Okay, i’ve had days where i took my insulin (NPH) maybe 4 hours late, and just that long threw my sugar into the 400s… i can not IMAGINE how high his BG was.

I hope the NYPD looses the lawsuit. That’s flat out ridiculous!

+1 for this. This was gross neglegence in spite of multiple pleas for help. What a joke some folks with power are.

When I was young and doing shots in public, on one occasion at Disneyland I had a janitor run out of the bathroom after seeing my needle. I quickly left only to see security return to have a look for me. Fortunately, I didnt have to make the trip to Securityland.

The cops last name was Rocha. Isnt that Portuguese? Then again it was the cops in the detention center who held him. Thats just such disregard for someones health.

The man was trying to inject insulin for a high blood sugar; not the other way around. I’ve had super high blood suars in my early years of being a T1 and it is very scary, indeed. You feel like you’re dying and in desperate need of insulin. I remember it happening at my sister’s house. I didn’t know what the problem was, went and laid down. She found me semi-conscious and vomiting uncontrollably. Thank God she is a doctor and rushed me to the ER. I remember telling her, “Please don’t let me die.” I also went into a coma for 2 1/2 days because of a high blood sugar and ignorance on the part of the hospital ER. They refused to treat me because I was “combative.” They treated me with Ativan and Percocet and sent me home. The combo resulted in hallucinations and I apparently fought off the police and EMTs stark naked. Thank God again for my sister. She flew from TN to NJ to have me airlifted to a teaching hospital from the one I was in (ER nurse said I wasn’t being treated aggressively enough). I woke up to a bed bath. The first words out of my mouth were “What the F do you think you’re doing?!” I was being washed in a pretty personal area LOL

I inject both insulin and symlin right through…no issues know endos who are t! who do the same

very scary indeed

I wonder if the rides are fun in securityland. lol

amen to that

small minded people in positions of power are the worst. Arresting a defenseless sick person is a lot easier than arresting some psycho pointing a gun. Idiots.

I did this all the time when I took shots. My b/f at the time would always say, “so much for sterile precautions!” lol

30 hours? Wow. I didn’t realize. That is a major fear/phobia of mine-that I’lll be denied insulin or sugar. Yikes.

well lets see, I suppose Theres the shooting range, the batton sticks O’ fun, the good cop - bad cop gameand more! =^)

Yeah, I just looked it up.

But you know the world of policing is different from the world of non-policing – it doesn’t matter about your last name or what you speak, probably. They see what they see and approach it the way the others they know do. Just conjecturing. I’m sure there are cops that are more human out there too. Unfortunately, they don’t make the headlines as much.

I Just did a 4 year stint on the feds time, and had to go through some experiences with the county jails along the way, and myself came to a few near death experiences, so I can definitely empathize with that, when my sugar would reach the 550 or 6000 mark, it was protocol for the nurse that admins the insulin shots to call the doc on duty, and he would give me a small amount of fast acting, like 7 or 10 units, so I would go back down, and be messed up because if I ate , back up it went, and if I didnt , it would still remain high, and what was I to do, the doctor felt that i was eating commisary . and he wanted me to remember what it felt like having a high sugar so i would not do it again, but the fact was the diet they feed diabetics in jail is nothing different than normal inmates, if you are a lucky they give you an apple and a container of milk in case you go low, but when DKA is an issue who the hell is worried about going low, it is crazy , nothing but high , high carbs, white bread , white rice, white everything, it was very rough, the only break i got was lying to them, tell them I was kosher, and then that forced them to alter my diet trays, I got frsh fruit, veggies, and was able to maintain a lower level and eventually got out fo the county jail enviroment, why is it there are no groups that stand up for diabetics, such as the Ada, or JDF, I sent letter after letter to those people when I was in, and received no help, support of any kinds, would love to know why, or more important why not>>>

in this you are so right! Statistically, its less than 1% of cops that do crap like this. They are just the ones the media has represent the whole force. Heck the whole industry. Its quite interesting that we think of it like a bell curve when it closer resembles a hocky stick.

Please conjecture on! Im always in for a good discussion. =^)

I was watching one of those ‘locked up’ shows last night and was disgusted by what they were feeding people. Basically 4 slices of bread, some potatoes and a tiny bit of meat/veg. I was actually thinking what would a diabetic do??? I guess you answered that! I really do think the advocacy groups should get more involved, not just here but in school cafeterias as well. If a t1d is on the school lunch program, wtf is he going to do? The food in my school looked better but was still a nightmare in terms of carbs…I guess at least they can take insulin whenever needed but still no good!

I am in one of those school lunch programs, but I have to say that I get better control at school than than I do in the summer. The food choices… yeah they suck, but they are pretty much the same, and after eating close to the same thing, at the same time, every day, you get pretty good at it. I usually take enough insulin for about 70 carbs, then I go have fun. Usually I can get it close if I add or take out 1 item. My blood sugar usually won’t go above 160 before school ends.