Using a smart watch to help manage diabetes

Hi Terry

I 100% use the haptics alerts on the watch - never sounds. Love using the reminders, alarms and timers (all of them).

I set timers for steeping tea, I have reminders to stop work and eat lunch at noon every day, and in the morning the haptic alarm wakes me up easily. AND of course I get taps on my wrist for the Dexcom alerts of rising and falling out of range. I like the idea of using timers more to nudge me to check my levels, thanks!

=)

2 Likes

I have been using my Galaxy Watch (classic) for the past two years to get my CGM readings via xDrip. There are many watch faces available, and they can be customized. See: https://getXDRIP watch faceswatchmaker.com/user/Bkd6tbYxr

I, and others, have used these to make customized watch faces. Using xDrip I have set various alarms/notification for threshold limits which vibrate on the watch; these can be snoozed or silenced on the watch. I use conditions for colors on the watch face for ranges of BG; e.g., red for below 70, green for 71-135, yellow for 136-165, and etc. And, the faces are all free, and most work on wear os as well as tizen.
I m careful making treatment decisions. Their is sometimes a delay in transmitting the data, this is inherent in connection time out.
Here is one of my watch faces:

Mike

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment. Looks like you get a lot good info on your watch face. It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes having that info on your wrist instead of on the smart phone display. It makes it glanceable.

Do you ever just use your watch timer function to remind you to do something that needs your attention? That’s the main thrust of my post.

I do. I use the haptic reminders as well.

I use a Dexcom and an Omnipod and when I need to stop a raising blood sugar I start a temp basal for 30 minutes. Often I only need it to work for 15 minutes, and in those cases I tap my watch (not using Siri for this) and I get the chance to stop my temp basal before the full 30 minutes has gone.

I use reminders when pre-bolusing as well. My smart watch is my second brain.

3 Likes

My sister got a new Apple watch for Christmas and gave me her old one. I use the timer feature multiple times a day. I was always forgetting that I had taken a bolus if mg BG was a little high before eating. I’d get sidetracked until my pump alarmed that I was low. With the watch I just tell it to set a 15 or 20 minute timer.

My sister uses Dexcom and she was able to see her numbers on the watch but I have Medtronic so all I can get are alarms on the watch.

I either use my watch reminder, or xdrip, or an app, and get a haptic signal on my watch.
Mike

I love my Ticwatch. I often tell people who I meet for the first time that if they catch me looking at my watch, it is not for the time but for my glucose readings.

2 Likes