Vacation planning

I have used Frio bags successfully during warm weather and they are sufficient for keeping Humalog cool enough for keeping out of the frig and available for pump or syringe use. My insulin seems to work well unrefrigerated for 45+ days.
Also regarding swimming, I use Omnipod with no issues. However I was told by a pump rep that adding an extra bolus before swimming then disconnecting the pump should work with a little experimentation.
Enjoy your well-earned vacation before starting the next job, and maybe the Endo visit is NOT needed! Save the $$ for enjoying more on your vacation!

First of all, thank you for your hard work as a health worker during this incredibly challenging times. You deserve a vacation and especially a beach vacation!

A few points, since you mentioned you are going out of the country. I have done a lot of overseas travel (sometimes stretching to 3-4 months at a time for research projects) including some beach time. As others point out, I have back up supplies (and back ups to the back ups and back ups to the back ups. Most of it on my person as opposed to checked luggage).

While I understand the note of caution about hotel fridges (I have had a bad experience too), my new protocol is to keep a glass of water in there for 2 days and if it does not freeze I will place my back up excess insulin in the door of the fridge reserving the open and active insulin vials/pens in my frio. Why did I do this? well, not all places in the world have perfect temperature control/ac especially beach communities where the air is humid and I don’t want to keep all my vials in a frio. I also label my Frio and any other container with my name and mobile number and indicate that this bag contains life sustaining medication and supplies.

When I am on the beach (whether that is Corsica, Greece, Mexico or Miami), I simply did not let my pump out of my sight. So if I was in the water, a friend or family member was nearby to watch over my pump (which, by the way one can keep in a frio too to prevent it from getting too hot, and yes, I also mark that Frio with language that this bag contains a life saving medical device and I include my number). Some beaches have built in umbrellas and rentable mini-lockers at the base of the umbrella so I felt secure to go for a brief swim (these were not high end resorts either). I would be extra cautious on the beach as sand the overall stickiness of saltwater can get on your pump.

Definitely keep Dexcom out of the water if you can stand it and I would not take out the transmitter especially if you are near a beach with sand, salt water etc.

In any case, with proper planning, you’ve got this–an added bonus is meeting other type 1 diabetics on the beach as libres, dexcoms, pumps are on display making it easy to find members of our special tribe. I have had some amazing conversations with diabetics or parents of diabetic children. One type 1 even watch over my stuff while I made a quick run into the water.

1 Like

oops I meant keep dexcom out of hot tub water. regular water is fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

There still seems to be some confusion about my removing the transmitter to dry it. I’m not leaving it out for more than a moment. I’m not swimming/bathing without it installed. All I’m doing is solving one of the inherent flaws with the system (freely admitted by Dexcom themselves), that the system reads high when it’s saturated with water.

Why wait up to an hour for it to dry itself, when I can pop the transmitter out for a mere moment, dry the connections with a tissue, and reinstall the transmitter without any disruption in readings? It still takes 15 minutes for it to fully come in line, because of the 3-reading algorithm Dexcom uses, but it’s way better than just waiting it out. I don’t understand how anyone can possibly figure that’s a bad thing. There’s no downside at all, just more accurate readings.

2 Likes

I agree with (nearly) everything you just noted. I think that they’ve started graphing more “raw” data from the G6 receiver, which is why many of us have noticed bumpier tracings. So you likely have more immediate but less averaged out results.

I have the T-slim and Dexcom G6 and travelled a lot this year. Assuming you travel by airplanes:

• pack all supplies in carryon bags. You can have a backpack and a small suitcase which was enough for 3 months of supplies in one trip. So no risk of lost baggage with supplies.
  • TSA will pay you down if you go through the metal detector because your pump and Dexcom will cause alarms. Going through the body scanner will also alarm but it identifies where the devices are located. Show them your pump and identify your Dexcom as a CGM. They will ask you to touch the pump and then check your hands for dangerous chemicals.
  • if you travel with a companion, have them go through security first so they can collect your carryons while you are held up by the TSA test.
  • Tslim is not waterproof. Should never be in a pool, hottub or any body of water.
  • I presume that swimming will cause my Dexcom will fail specially if I go into saltwater so I only swim if I am willing to replace it.
  • I bought enough pump and Dexcom supplies to have an extra month’s worth with me (trip was 2 months working in Hawaii where shipping takes extra time). Also needles and vial of Lantus in case pump fails. Also lots of test strips, lancets and a backup BG meter.
  • GET VACCINATED AND GET THE BOOSTER!!! No one, medically trained or not, will know as well as you how to manage your diabetes.
    I was in a ICU a few years ago when a Doctor ordered 5 units of Novolog when my BG was 55. Fortunately I was conscious and stopped it.
4 Likes