Vegan/Vegetarian Diet?

Has anyone tried a vegan or vegetarian diet to help with their BS? Or are already a veg*n? I tried it after my surgery and couldn’t stick with it, and I’m trying to work more of that type of meal into my menu plans. (When I fall off the wagon, I really fall off the wagon sigh). I feel that I had better BS control while trying to do it but I am not sure how much the surgery affected my results too (I had a lobe of my liver removed). Just wanted some feedback I guess.

(Not really sure which section I should put this under: recipes, treatment/cure, general?)

I eat a vegan diet, but I haven’t noticed any difference in my bloodsugars since I switched to this diet over a year ago. My a1c hasn’t changed at all. I just do it because I’m a treehugger. I’m type 1, so I don’t know how much my experience applies to you.

It helps if you like to cook. It also helps to concentrate on non-starchy vegetables. You can’t make potatoes or pasta the focus of your meals or you’ll build up the carbs really fast. There was a study run by a vegetarian doctor’s group awhile ago that looked at a vegan diet to control type 2 diabetes. You can find out more about it at http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes/

I’m technically vegetarian, but with the lack of dairy in my diet, I’m practically vegan. I was before I was diagnosed, and it’s made my “diabetes diet” terribly complicated. On the one hand, a healthy diet full of fruits and vegetables and lacking in animal fat can keep your weight down. That can have some affect on insulin requirements and sensitivity as well as heart benefits. The flip side from my perspective is that most of what I ate before were centered around fruits and starches, now I’m having to get creative with my meals. Also I sometimes run into mineral defficiencies like b12 which aren’t good, and I just found out that can mess with your A1c. I think it’s a matter of preference, but as long as you keep it balanced and healthy, you should have a good impact on your diabetes. Honestly, I think it is one reason, my diagnosis came so late.
If you ever want ideas for foods should you decide to try it again, just let me know.

Definitely anyone who takes meat, dairy, and eggs out of their diet needs to either eat fortified foods (like fortified soy milk) or take a B12 vitamin. This Web site does a good job of going over all the different macro and micro nutrients without either being hysterical or glib. http://www.veganhealth.org/ I’m happy to answer any questions you have about meal ideas or whatever, too.

I have the book by Dr. Bernard (recipes by Bryanna Clark Grogan) and it’s what made me think of trying to do more. Lately our meatless meals still include some cheese (low-fat). After some allergy testing, I found I’m sensitive to milk (not cheese) and eggs. I’m not allergic but I do need to moderate how much I eat (I was already moderating thanks to listening to my body). It’s hard for me to find a forum to talk about the diet with people not being diabetic or being major AR. I guess coming from a health standpoint instead of AR makes it harder to fit in.

And thanks for the offers of help, I’ll probably end up taking ya’ll up on the offers. I am still trying to figure out what works for me and hubby. He’s got IBS (which also does better on a veggie diet) but has trouble (I want to get him allergy tested because I think he’s got some sensitivities to mushrooms, etc), with a lot of beans, tofu and raw veggies. I find I stay fuller longer when I eat more protein vs carbs too.

Over the course of 40+ years as a type 1, I’ve been both vegan (for almost a decade 15 years ago) and vegetarian as well as on a completely raw diet. Currently I am mostly vegetarian, but I consume meat and eggs occasionally, when I feel the need. I’ve also done two master cleanses (one for 14 days and one for 8).

In my experience, BS control needs to be learned/managed for whatever change in diet or exercise I happen to be undertaking.

I’d say that BS control is easier on a vegetarian diet, easier yet on a vegan diet, and stupidly easy during my 6 month raw diet phase. During the master cleanses the only real challenge was to take as little insulin as I could and cut down by half the maple syrup used during the cleanse.

Hi Sam,
I have been following a vegan diet on and off for some years. I would currently describe myself as an occasional vegetarian but as I don’t really like dairy, I really struggle with it. My diet is extremely well balanced and I eat a huge array of vegetables, pulses, grains etc… Like you I have noticed enormous benefits with a vegan diet; it made a big impact with my blood glucose levels and I just generally feel much better on it. I am a long term type 1 with kidney disease (which incidentally I had before I was diagnosed with Diabetes) and a lower protein diet has been hugely beneficial with my renal problems to the extent that having been told I should expect to be on dialysis within 5 - 10 years (over 20 years ago) I am now told that my kidneys are holding their own and the prognosis re: dialysis is at least 10 years if things progress as they have thus far.
Take care
Catherine

Check out a book called Eat To Live. I brought my numbers under complete control as long as I stuck with it. When I veered away…my numbers sky rocketed. Needless to say, I’m going back to it as a permanent change. The other website mentioned is good if you do not have addiction to certain foods.
Grain is good… Processed foods taste great; but my health has taught me the lesson much better. That is why I’m going back to “Eat To Live.” You can find the book used or at the library fairly easily. I got mine for under $10.00.
Huggles
MeadowLark

I do not follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, however, I do include a lot of vegetarian ‘days’ into my eating plan, and have no problem with keeping my bgl’s in a good range while doing so. I’ve found over the years that all carbs are not equal - if I chose what I consider ‘best carbs’, whether eating a mixed diet with meat or vegetarian/vegan meals, I maintain better bgls, and I would argue health, as well.

I believe in moderation in all forms. Vegetarianism is one thing and being a vegan is IMO an extreme. I have read a lot about totally raw diets that include meat which are appealing at times but not that appealing that it would make me want to give up cooking. I don’t care what anyone says you will never get some of the flavors that you get from braising, grilling or roasting.
The raw for 30 days movie IMO is good idea for type 2 diabetics that need to gain control but the movie lost some of its credibility because they really didn’t state the type of diabetes they claimed it would help or cure. Anyone who is type 1 may gain considerable control eating totally raw but it is not going to cure them. Like I said in the beginning moderation is the key. A little bread, pasta or rice with vegi’s and some meat and one can have a low carb meal that will satisfy them and at the same time not send their BG to the moon. I do realize this is easier said than done. I have tried fighting it myself and have not followed the moderation rule-I lost!!! Now I am back to moderation and I have saved around 10 units of bolus insulin on a daily basis.

MODERATION!!!