Victoza - Who has taken it for more than 3 years

I have been on Victoza for over 2 years. My endocrinologist checks my kidney, liver and other blood test every 3 months. Victoza has been a life changer for me. I was pre-diabetic, over weight, depressed, fatigued, sleep deprived (can’t sleep), 50 year old woman. Victoza changed all of that for me. However, after 2 years I’m afraid of continuing to take this medication even though it has worked so well. Has anyone been on Victoza for more than 2 years.

I have took it for around the same time as you maybe longer. I hated it…it did nothing for me. My weight stayed the same even under exercise and diet…i am on an insulin pump now so my endo has stopped that medication. If it is working why stop?

1 Like

I took Victoza for 2+ years, and every 6 -8 months I would get off it for a month then start again. The reason was that I found the effects to be greatly reduced with time. I was a major drag to re-start the process and go through the dosage ramp up and the nausea/sugar swings again, but worth it in the long run. I no longer take this and have moved to insulin full time. Not sure if this helps you or not, but good luck with your journey.

Hi, I’m insulin resist but not diabetic and overweight. 2 years ago(5/2015) my endo put me on Victoza and i was amazing!! I lost 25-30 pounds in 3 monrhs!! ( im also in Metformin 1000 2x daily for 8 years)now sense Jan 2017 thru current 4/2017 i have gained 15 pounds. Wondering if i should atop taking for a few weeks then restart in hopes it will work again!! Any advice or thoughts would be so helpful & grateful. Thanks a bunch

In response to your post TraciS, I have been on Victoza for over 2 years and lost over 30 pounds. Prior to victoza, I was 1 point away from being diabetic Type 2. While my regular dr considered putting me on insulin, I ran to an endocrinologist who put me on Victoza and that helped me tremendously. We discovered that I had hypothyroidism and had other issues that no matter what I ate or how much I exercised my weight would not change and I would be extremely lethargic, depressed, could not sleep, and anxious. Now, bare in mind even when I was over weight I watched what I ate and jogged 3 to 5 miles a day with no real results. I thought I was going crazy! lol… Now, I still watch what I eat, I exercise regularly (12 to 15 miles a week) and with my synthoid and victoza I have never felt better. So, with that history and from what I have heard, getting off victoza and retaking it again would have the same effects. Lose and gain again… I don’t think that yo yo will not help in the long run. In my experience, what I do know is that the dosage level is what makes the difference. So, talk to your endo and maybe he can increase the dosage and with diet and exercise you can go back to your desired weight and healthy lifestyle. I hope that helps!!!

How have you been feeling since taking the insulin? Any better?

In response to your post TraciS, I have been on Victoza for over 2 years and lost over 30 pounds. Prior to victoza, I was 1 point away from being diabetic Type 2. While my regular dr considered putting me on insulin, I ran to an endocrinologist who put me on Victoza and that helped me tremendously. We discovered that I had hypothyroidism and had other issues that no matter what I ate or how much I exercised my weight would not change and I would be extremely lethargic, depressed, could not sleep, and anxious. Now, bare in mind even when I was over weight I watched what I ate and jogged 3 to 5 miles a day with no real results. I thought I was going crazy! lol… Now, I still watch what I eat, I exercise regularly (12 to 15 miles a week) and with my synthoid and victoza I have never felt better. So, with that history and from what I have heard, getting off victoza and retaking it again would have the same effects. Lose and gain again… I don’t think that yo yo will not help in the long run. In my experience, what I do know is that the dosage level is what makes the difference. So, talk to your endo and maybe he can increase the dosage and with diet and exercise you can go back to your desired weight and healthy lifestyle. I hope that helps!!!

1 Like

Much better. No more un predictability (I tend have huge out of the blue
bg swings). No stomach distress, and it doesn’t seem to have any loss of
efficacy over time (that I have noticed). I also forced the issue when I
was on a business trip by buying Insulin over the counter because I could
not get my bg 's down even with Victoza.

Hope this is helpful and doesn’t confuse things further for you. If you
are having doubts or have questions about Victoza, you should definitely
discuss it with your primary Dr or Endo.

El Ver

1 Like

I have had no issues with Victoza, but not much weight loss. But I am working on this. Nancy

How long have you been on it?

3 years,A1C 6.2 64 years old.

Nancy Matulis
ACB Maine member
CCLVI member, Legislative Committee
ACBDA member,Membership Awareness Committee

1 Like

I have taken victoza for 5 years. I have lost 60 lbs. My blood sugar is 6.9 compared to 9.0 when I first started. I get a blood test every 6 months to check everything out. I actually didn’t realize I was on it that long till I read your post. Im 62 yrs old. My doctor put me on it mainly to loose weight cause it was always going up and down. I have been at the same weight for 3 yrs. Actually still loosing but slower. Im happy with victoza.

1 Like

I was on Victoza for about 6 years, along with Novolog and Lantus. It was a wonderful medication that kept peak BG down. I never had any problems of any type with it. It was a tough decision and a risk getting the C-peptide and GAD65 tests that changed my diagnosis to T1 LADA. I did get an insulin pump and CGM, so the tests worked out for me.

I have been on Victoza for 6 and a half years. My A1C is 5.4 and has been for a couple of years. I lost 75 pounds and had my Metformin and blood pressure pill dosages cut in half, The only real problem I have is constipation. I now have that under control and my numbers are stable. I have an Endochronoligist appointment in three weeks and will be taken off of Victoza. I am scared but excited. My insulin supplies have increased to my body functions on its own without it. I think what helped me the most is eating fiber rich foods, I am a smoothie junkie, using frozen strawberries or peaches, almond milk, sweetener, half of an avocado, and protein powder for breakfast. I also eat oatmeal with a tablespoon with peanut butter added to it. Once your body gets functioning, your on your way. Don’t give up!! it works. I have been Type 2 for 22 years and I am 72. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

I have been on Victoza for 3 months. I also take Metformin 500 x 4 daily. My A1C spiked to 10.7 last Fall, from 6.8 in the Spring. Victoza helped me bring it down to 6.0, the lowest it has been in 3 years. My Triglycerides are 141, down from 495. My Triglycerides are always over 200 and often over 300. The only stomach upset I get with Victoza is if I eat too many carbs. I don’t crave carbs while on Victoza, but sometimes I eat carbs out of habit, then feel bloated afterwards.

I am 61 and 255 lbs, 10 lbs away from not being obese for my height. I am using an elliptical 6 out of 7 days 30-90 minutes per day. My weekly average is 58 minutes per day. I am losing about a pound per week, so I hope to be overweight, not obese by the end of March.

I’m new to this forum and have a question regarding Victoza. I’m at the end of my second week of injections. I started at 0.6 for one week. By the second day I was extremely nauseous, had headaches, no appetite and pretty much just felt crappy. This all went away by the third day.
I am currently in my second week and I’ve increased the dose to 1.2 daily. I’m feeling even more sick and I’m having trouble eating anything. I’m nauseous all day and my headache is really bad. I called my doctor and his assistant said to stick to the doctors orders and this should all go away when my body adjusts to this new med. I’m also taking Metformin, 500 mg x four per day. This is day three of the 1.2 Victoza dose. Next Wednesday I’m told to increase the dosage to 1.8 and I’m dreading this. I know I haven’t been on it very long and I want to give this a chance to work. Is this feeling normal? The thought of food makes me sick. I have lost 15 pounds in three weeks. That seems like a lot. I’m worried about the headache. It’s only on one side of my head. That seems weird. I have it all day. It’s scary. How long does it take for your body to get used to Victoza and will these side effects go away?
My fasting blood in the morning has been around 119. It’s come way down pretty quickly. I just don’t like the way I’m feeling. I don’t think I’m eating enough because I’m feeling so sick to my stomach. I need to know if this sick feeling is normal.

I would love to hear how going off worked out for you, Geisha. I’m planning to go off as well.