We need to spread the word about LADA

Hey all,

I had a long, very frustrating road to my diagnosis of LADA this year. My primary doctors refused to do any testing for almost 2 years until I finally got so frustrated and angry that I delved into google and taught myself about LADA and what tests to demand. This is considering that I’m a nurse for the same hospital! I want to get the word out, so I wrote a blog post and would love if you all shared it on social media. I’m trying to get it published on kevinmd as well, but don’t know if that’ll happen. If you’ve been in the same shoes as me, I’m sure this will resonate with you, so let’s get all the misdiagnosed LADAs some knowledge!

Here’s the first paragraph from my blog entitled, “Do You Really Have Type 2 Diabetes?” The embedded link at the bottom of this introductory paragraph will take you to the full post.

Have you been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes or Pre-Diabetes AND you’re lean? Maybe you’re a serious runner and eat a healthy diet? You need to keep reading, because you may actually be “Type 1.5” or LADA. LADA stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adults and is really Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (DM), but it’s onset is different. When you think of a Type 1 diabetic, you think of a kid who went from being normal to requiring insulin for survival over a very short period of time, such as days. The reality, on the other hand, is that there are plenty of adults who become Type 1 diabetics later on in life. According to a large European study, approximately 10% of those who are diagnosed with Type 2 DM are actually misdiagnosed, and should be diagnosed with LADA(1). (More …)

Thanks!!!
Mary

2 Likes

I just saw this as I was ready to sign off for the night and didn’t have time to dig into it. So I unlisted it to give time for review. - Terry