Weight Loss Success Stories

Does anyone have a diabetic weight loss success story to share? The only ones I have found are people who have done the “Eat to Live” diet by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I tried this diet and lost 45 pounds, but I still have a lot of visceral fat and lost where I didn’t want to lose - in my legs and butt! I also never was able to control my blood sugar very well on that diet, and felt tired a lot. Intuitively I felt I needed more protein. I went back on the low carb Bernstein routine and while it helped my blood sugar it actually caused me to gain weight!

Help! Please share your success with me!!

I was gonna toss myself out there but I am T1 and didn’t want to cheat! Congrats on your success though!

After diagnosis, I adopted a low carb diet and basically lost like 25-30 lbs. I took up training after that and then basically regained all that weight, but as muscle mass. Perhaps your weight gain is muscle mass. I don’t think that is a bad thing.

I firmly believe we all have different metabolic equilibriums and what works for some may not work for others. Not much of a story I know but thought I would throw that out there.

Just after I was diagnosed, nearly ten years ago, I decided I needed to be proactive. I had been on every diet you could imagine over the years, but inevitably, after I lost weight – and I lost every time – I’d gain the weight back again in a year, plus at least another five pounds. I was discouraged, because I’d done everything I thought I needed to do. Wrong. I was still thinking in terms of “diet” (which, by the way, is just “die” with a “t” on it)

I started walking to the gym every morning before work. I didn’t spend more than 10 or 15 minutes that first day, working with the stationary bicycle, but after a couple of weeks I added time on the treadmill. In a month, I had lost 15 pounds and I was up to 45 minutes. Since that was all I could afford, timewise, I stuck to that time exercising. Nothing fancy…just walking and riding a stationary bike. In six months, I had dropped 40 pounds. It was slow, but it was steady, and I just kept it up. My glucose levels still weren’t great, but I was learning how to eat all over again, and that takes time. I dropped the word “diet” from my vocabulary. A diet is something you start, work on, then stop. I can never stop. This is my new way of eating. What worked for me best, as a Type 2 was a modified version of South Beach. I eat all the same foods that everyone who isn’t diabetic, but the mix is different. I eat lean meat, and fish, and I eat low carb veggies, and sometimes I even have my beloved chocoloate. Okay…not just sometimes. Truth: I eat at least a bite of it every day. Dark chocolate, 75% preferrably, and it’s like medicine for my spirit.

The good news is that ultimately I lost 60 pounds, and now, ten years later (in January) it’s still lost. This is the first time in my life that has happened, so I’m really happy about it. After dieting…and failing…a dozen times, it feels good to finally have done something positive for myself.

I designed this phrase…Diet…DELIGHT IN EATING THOUGHTFULLY
Better still MOVE MORE EAT LESS
STRESSED SPELLED BACKWARDS IS DESSERTS
It is hard work. I use a healthy life style. I watch fats calories and carbs
I have lost 56 pounds and have kept it off for 16 years
I Journal
]I go to a weight loss group every Wednesday morning
You can do it I know you can
\Be motivated committed and,then,use MODERATION

A little bit of humor…

The most fattening thing you can put in an apple pie is a FORK.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Dr Fuhrman says that a high protein diet is really bad for the kidneys. Very confusing for me. It’s great that you gained all of that muscle, that’s amazing. Did it help your numbers?

Yes, I really think you are right about that.

Yes, and fat. Bernstein says we need fat, Fuhrman says it is the worst thing for us. Aggh!

What a fantastic story!!!Thank you for sharing it. There is a progam on the internet called “The Truth About Abs”, written by a guy who is a body builder. He says that the 75% chocolate is really good for you, has tons of antioxidants in it, and makes you feel good. He says to eat just a little bit, like a square a day.

Wow, Helen, you have done a great job. Can’t believe that nurse said that to you! One thing we aren’t is stupid - diabetes to me is like a job, and I have to have my thinking cap on at all times or there will be trouble!!!
Also I wanted to note that when I was on a vegan diet, the arthritis in my hands went away. I’m not on it now, and I can feel the stiffness returning.

That’s amazing you can do that. I always watch the calories, I count them in my head, but the other 2 are beyond me. If you don’t mind me asking, what weight loss group do you go to? Just curious.

Re what to eat and what not to eat, I think that BSC may have originally posted this video, of Christopher Gardner, a nutritionist who compared four different diets (ATOZ…) to compare their efficacy. I found the video fascinating, not really diabetes related but, in the end, they concluded that the lower carb diet was the most effective. He also talks about some of the challenges about studying food and eating, getting participants, getting participants to log everything honestly, etc. that also resonated with me, since I utterly loathe logging anything!

It’s a bit long but have some popcorn. Or maybe some eggs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2004, I weighed 323 lbs also had hypertension and high cholesterol, after reading a number of articles on weight loss, diabetes, and nutrition, I chose the dash diet because it addressed all my health concerns it is a high fiber, low sodium, low fat and low sugar eating plan that was designed to lower blood pressure. I was also on medication for blood pressure at the time. After four months my blood pressure became normal and I was off the medication.

I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, non fat diary and lean meats. I lost 150 lbs in 1 1/2 years and have maintained the weight loss. I also started a exercise routine 30 minutes 3 to 5 days a week. I was able to stop the glyburide I was prescribed when I was initially diagnosed after 1 month. My initial fasting blood sugar level was 257 and a1c of 10.5, now my fasting levels are between 70-85 and my 2-hour postprandial levels are between 85-105. My a1c has been 4.2 for the last 6 years. This is a high carb eating plan I usually eat between 300-400 grams of carbs a day. Even when I was losing weight and eating 1600 to 1800 calories a day I was still eating 200 to 250 grams of carbs daily. I’m not saying that all diabetics should follow this eating plan, only stating what works for me. For me it was tough to adjust to this diet in the first couple of months, after that it became the way I ate and realized that this was a permanent change in my eating habits and I have no desire to return to my old habits.

I go to TOPS (TAKE OFF POUNDS SENSIBLY) chapters in every state and Canada. Annual dues to HQ $26 chapter dues $6 a month to pay for rent. The members do the Programs. We once in a while get a speaker. Florida where I live has 244 chapters. I am a KOPS (Keep Off Pounds Sensibly). There is no magic bullet for weigh loss hard work and a change to a healthy life style. YOU CAN DO IT. I am 84 years of age and a Navy Veteran of WW2. I was heavy addicted to SWEETS.I just mafde up my mind I was not going to be heavy anymore and I made it. To keep it off you have to work just as hard. YOU CAN DO IT. I flunked Typing 101 and type with one ARTHUR RIT IC finger so excuse my errors. Reed

How about a success in progress? I was diagnosed in March this year with a A1c of 6.7 and weighed 275. Found TuD shortly after and decided to low carb it - about 30g carbs a day, no more than 15g carbs at any one meal. - lost 25 lbs in 3 months and lowered my A1c to 5.7. I’ve lost another 25 lbs since them. Also exercising 250-350 minutes a week, mostly elliptical machine, walking and WII fit.

Although Ed’s post has me thinking about the DASH diet. I’m also dealing with hypertension and high cholesterol and they haven’t budged much yet. I still need to loose at least another 25 lbs and my morning number is still higher than I’d like it.

Thank you for posting that video! It was really the most interesting thing I have read about weight loss in ages. I feel it is really hard to get a straight answer because everyone is selling something. Wow!

Thanks for your post. I tried a similar diet and found that grains of any kind cause my blood sugar to shoot up, as well as most fruits. I was on the “Eat to Live” diet last year, a very similar diet, and though I did lose a lot of weight on that diet, I couldn’t stabilize my blood sugar, and had to take a nap every day. I also retained my belly fat, which didn’t make me happy. I am coming to the conclusion that we are all different. I think I am going to have to figure out what works for me by trial and error.

Reed you are amazing. And I think you hit the nail on the head - it’s work. I think of the people I know who are at a healthy weight, and they all work on it! They exercise a lot, and eat healthy, and not a lot of food - just medium sized portions. I was addicted to sweets too at one time. I decided to stay out of the hospital and stopped eating them years ago. Every once in a while I get a craving. I am going to try the dark chocolate 75%. :slight_smile: