What do my numbers mean?

Very new to the forum and new to “yes i have diabetes”.
This morning after a coffee with half&half and splendia, string cheese(1) and an apple, I tested at 91 bs.
This afternoon, I fell off the wagon and had a bbq sandwich, bowl of Brunswick stew, onion rings and a fried apple pie! I know bad bad bad…but i only get to this restaurant once a year…hole in the wall bbq joint. However, after testing this afternoon my bs was only 139…(oh and sweet tea).
Numbers Good bad miss leading?

How long after lunch did you test? It all makes a difference!!!

2hours

Hi, Tracy,
If you are newly diagnosed you might try testing at an hour, just to see what is going on. it’s possible you are going higher after eating but still have enough second phase insulin to bring your BG down to normal after 2 hours. The problem with this is that you could be putting too much strain on your pancreas if you have high BS after an hour. Also constant swinging up and down us also bad for us. Worth testing to see.

Your insulin resistance as a type 2 may be worse in the mornings (due to hormones that fire in the a.m. hours to get us ready to face the day) and improve later in the day, especially if you’ve been physically active even a few hours before the meal.

It’s useful to test, as recommended by others in this discussion, before and two hours after some breakfasts, lunches, and dinners to see if your body responds differently at different times of day. To make these “experiments*” a little more accurate, you should try to eat similar amounts of carbs and fats at the meals. Good luck!

*Having diabetes often seems like a constant science experiment–a poorly designed one with too many variables and too little funding! But taking the time (and spending the money on test strips) can help your figure out when it’s best for your to splurge on a big meal (so you don’t feel deprived) without too frequent highs.

Dear Kelly. Another variable to worry about.

Dear Tracy.

God is usually not so merciful.

“*Having diabetes often seems like a constant science experiment–a poorly designed one with too many variables and too little funding! But taking the time (and spending the money on test strips) can help your figure out when it’s best for your to splurge on a big meal (so you don’t feel deprived) without too frequent highs.”

VERY WELL SAID!

~Danielle

It’s possible that the fat in the meal delayed the peak. It could have hit later.

Then again, maybe your pancreas could just handle it, after having had a break from the highs.

Dunno, I’d suggest trying it again and testing at one hourly intervals to figure it out.

if i ate that meal it would drive my blood sugar up to around 300