What do you eat before a workout?

The other day, my boyfriend pointed out that I look a little squishy in the middle. (Gotta love that, right?!) But, he's right, I have gained 10 pounds (4.5 kilograms) recently and now it's time to lose the weight and firm up for spring. Bikini season is right around the corner, and I doubt I could put a bikini on and still feel good about myself looking like this! I'm not overweight, not even with the extra 10 pounds; but my middle is squishy and I need to work out. I never really worked out before, but then again, I'm not as young as I used to be. Things are starting to sag! Anyway, my main concern is, since I never worked out before, I really don't know what to eat before a workout to keep from going too low. I don't really eat very much, I would consider myself a vegetarian (but not strict) and I don't use too much insulin lately, as a result. But, I have been getting lows lately, and don't want to risk it working out. What's a good snack before a workout to keep from going too low and make sure I don't go too high? Thanks so much!

Snacks should not be necessary. I eat my meals and do my thing with no need for snacks, ever. If you are going low, you need to adjust the insulin and it will require testing to know how much and when. I do keep glucose in my pockets when I work out but rarely need one.

I don't know what kind of work out you are heading for but want to suggest that you get a handle on the lows you "have been getting lately" before you start a program. And for the weight loss you seek, I'd start by losing that boyfriend of yours ;)

1 Like

Alicia, very good question we all deal with note the site is being restructured, so you may not get responses, so check the schedule and repost when site goes up again.

I try to spike my sugar up to 180 with something extremely light and then I usually just keep a Gatorade on hand in case I start to fall too much. It’s not good to eat right before you work out. A cgm is extremely helpful for anyone, especially if you work out. Good luck

2 Likes

I like something light… I usually have shakeology with half a banana as a breakfast & then do my workout soon after that. Works great at keeping my blood sugar up while I workout. Sometimes if my sugar is a bit lower… I’ll do a temp basal (-0% for 30 mins or so)…

It all depends on your workout. When I cycle I drop fast and need to carry and eat lots of carbs (bars and gel type stuff). I try to start my rides around 140-150 bs. I tend to drop every 15 miles or so. When I play racquetball my bs tends to spike. Probably due to the adrenalin. Having a dexcom is extreme helpful. Knowing what your trend is allows you to make adjustments. Good luck!

Karen 57, I’m intrigued. How do you get through a workout without snacks? Temp basal rate? How much cardio do you make it through without glucose?

Thanks!

It works best for me to eat carbs 45 min. to 1 hr. before my workout. I take 50% of my insulin needed for that carb meal. My workout, usually cycling or kickboxing, lasts for 1 hr. I usually eat 1/2 banana with milk and cereal (usually cheerios). The workouts are very strenuous! That works very nicely with a pump!