What have you learned about yourself, since being DX w/ diabetes? What has it taught you?

My diabetes has taught me that I have the greatest husband in the world! When I have a really bad high or low, he gets out my tester, tests my blood for me, and either gets me some orange juice or some insulin. When I was in dka, he stayed by my side the whole time - only leaving to go to work, and returning as soon as he was off. He has supported my new organic food kick, even though he really isn’t into the whole food scene. He is awesome, and I really don’t know what I would do without him. :slight_smile:

I have found that for me, (unlike many others) this is not such a great cross to bear. I see other’s problems in a more sympathetic light.

I have had to learn patience, not for others so much, but for myself. I finally realized that i have been in such a hurry for so very long. Now I have slowed down and stopped skipping things for me. I found a deep well of strength that i always used, but didn’t think about being grateful to have. Long ago, my cancer patients taught me the importance of seeing the beauty around me and appreciating the love given to me. I have been working very hard to make sure that all the people in my life know how very much I appreciate them and all that they give on a daily basis. Being diabetic has taught me a greater understanding for the needs of others and a deeper determination to help my family to work their best to be as healthy as possible. And it has made me hold on even tighter to my responsilbiliity to my family to take the best possible care of me that I can. I am very grateful for my life. There have been some good times, some hard times and some bad times. But I am so glad to have had a chance to be here and go through all of it. And i am so grateful to have a place like tu diabetes where we can get on here and say how we feel and talk to each other. My heartfelt thanks to all of you.