What motivates you?

What motivates you to want to change something in your life that may not be working for you?

I’ve worked with people who have diabetes for the last 13 years, and one thing I try to do is help motivate people who want to change. Telling someone what to do is never effective. I have found what works is ultimately letting someone decide when they want to make the change and what changes, if any, they are ready to make. That’s when I provide guidance and support along the way.

I admit, I don’t wake up every day of my life ready to tackle the world. There are some days when lying around seems like the best plan, and there are times when I lose motivation to cook, exercise, or eat healthy. And you know what? I think that’s OK. We’re all human, and we’re all going to have those days or even weeks. But I think where it becomes an issue is when you lose all motivation to live your best life.

Different things motivate people. For some, it may be the way they look, the way their jeans fit (or don’t fit) or the way they feel. Or maybe it’s an incentive that motivates you or the support of a close friend. Perhaps even seeing the sun or listening to music is something that gets you up and going. Whatever it is, I think it’s important for us all to identify what motivates us to create positive change in any aspect of our lives.

My motivator to change what I was eating was based on how I was feeling every day. I got to the point where I said, “Enough is enough!” So I did my own research and came up with a plan that worked better for me. No, I still haven’t figured myself out completely (not sure if that’s possible). I consider myself an experiment in the works, but I learn something new about myself every day.

I’ve never been one who loved to exercise everyday either. It’s something I make a conscious effort to do, and I admit, sometimes I just don’t want to do it. Unfortunately exercise has never been about losing weight for me (because that’s not usually the result I get), so I had to find something that would motivate me to want to do it. I had to discover what benefits exercise had for me. I found that I valued the mental benefits like improved mood and more motivation and confidence in myself, so that became my motivator.

I believe that if people can find what works for them and what motivates them, they are much more likely to stick with it and begin to create positive changes in their lives.

So I’m curious: what motivates you?

In Honor of National Diabetes Awareness Day we recognize that there are an estimated 8 million Americans who are undiagnosed with diabetes and are not getting the treatment and education they need. If you have a friend or family member who may be at risk, please share to help us reach as many Americans as possible!

http://www.livongo.com/whats-your-diabetes-risk-factor

Feeling good

Doing everything I can to avoid diabetes complications.

feeling good as karen says, so i can do sport and be active.
and as lloyd says, to avoid complications. whenever i see a blind person or an amputee (should i be pc and type pwal? i dont know) it takes my breath away. fear is a good motivator. i have friends at work trying to lose weight/eat right. i was the same before t1, but vanity was never enough of a motivation for me, i liked my carbs too much. now im scared. fear is powerful.

When one is sick and tired of being sick and tired, one will take care of their diabetes. That is one of the most meaning statements a doctor ever said to me. The doctor made a big impact on me when he directed that statement to me.

@blogabetic, I have heard a lot of the members I coach say the same thing, they are "sick and tired of being sick and tired" and that is what motivated them to take their diabetes seriously and make some changes. I feel the same way, although I don't have diabetes,I have felt this way many times and it surely motivates me to get back on track.

I'm fairly new to being dxd with Type 2. I take it very seriously and learned as much as I could as fast as I could and still do learn as much as I can.

My main motivation is to make tough choices and stick to them to avoid complications for as long as possible! Currently my BG #'s are in the safe low range, thankfully!

Unfortunately I also have a lower back injury, this is making things a bit more difficult but I think with enough effort and asking for help where, when and however I can get it I'll make it through my next hurtle (I am selling my house and moving) Luckily I think I realized I can hire help and get the move done, just in time to relocate to a warmer mellower climate and rebuild from there...and of course have more time to focus on caring for my D.

Peace, MrS.