What to do when (BG is high) and it is time for a Dose?

Only problem with getting a vial of humalog is once it is opened, it is recommended to use within 28 days. If you are just using it for corrections then I am afraid it will "expire" and not be as active if you try to use it too carefully. There are 1000 units in a vial, so 28 days worth is 36 units a day.
I too have gotten so much help here, and I asked a question not long ago how long people actually keep their vials of lantus or humalog and with the cost at $145 a vial, I can understand using the less expensive options for insulin. Check the discussions https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/do-you-really-throw-out-lantus-or-humalog-after-28-days I got a lot of good responses and learned a lot from it. Just copy and paste the link and the discussion should come up.
I switched endos after 20 years and am thrilled with my new one. The clinic I go to also has a refrigerator filled with "salesman samples" for lack of a better term. I took advantage of some freebies and tried Apidra which is another fast acting insulin. I like it better than the humalog I had been taking but both are equally good for bringing down a high blood sugar.