What triggered your Type 1?

That’s one of those chicken and egg situations… I was definitely eating and craving carbs when I was diagnosed, but I assumed it was because my cells weren’t “eating” enough without insulin… I had lost nearly 30 lbs and wasn’t heavy to begin with. I always assumed the carb cravings were because of the elevated blood glucose, which meant the rest of my body was starving because all the nutrition I ate was trapped floating around in my blood.

Asthma exacerbation, then double pneumonia and in the hospital for 2 weeks.....BG never went down after that.

I don't know what triggered my T1. I may have been sick before I was diagnosed, I really don't remember. There are also no other T1s that I know of in my family - just an uncle with T2.

The reasons this thread caught my attention though, was because of something I saw on a popular social networking site yesterday. I recently became "friends" on that site with a friend of a friend. She is into veganism, healthy lifestyles, etc. She is also, apparently, republican, and posted an article that went on and on about the evils of "obamacare". I don't want to get into a poltical discussion here; whatever your views are on obamacare are irrelevant. The article said that obamacare was rewarding people for "bad choices" and punishing those who chose healthy lifestyles (presumably because they have to cover those with pre-existing conditions, but I don't know for sure because I didn't read the whole article). It went on to say that *all* chronic diseases are caused by bad nutrition, laziness, and bad lifestyle choices. It also said that nutrition always trumps genetics. This article made me so angry. I was diagnosed at 10 years old. I hardly think I was old enough to have made so many "bad choices". Also, my parents did their best to give me good nutrition both before and after diagnosis. I found the idea that I (and all of you, and everyone out there with other chronic diseases) brought it on myself because I was simply too lazy to lead a healthy life to be so offensive.

I agree, totally galling. I try not to let such people rent space in my head!

I am certain mine was triggered by an emotional trauma (too personal to share with specificity). I had had a physical exam 2 months earlier and my GP always checks glucose. No signs of diabetes. Then the trauma hit. It didn’t take long to start feeling sick – went to doctor 4 months after physical and 2 months after trauma and had A1C of 12. Hit me fast and furious.

I woke up after a 3 day DKA coma age 45. My A1c 6mons prior was 4.8. I had a hx of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 25yrs earlier. A year prior to having T1 diagnosis I had an asthma attack. Never had asthma but I was sent to an allergist. I had allergies to so many things -- peanuts was one of them and I ate peanuts and peanut butter my whole life. The allergist told me that was common to develop allergies as you get older. Well, now I have T1, Psoraisis (which came after the DKA)and Allopecia (Balding which came after the DKA). But my allergies have gotten so much better and I still am darn cute!! Love, Peace and Broccoli !!

I was diagnosed T2D 26 years ago and I don`t remember what could have triggered it. But last year I was prescribed symvastatin tablets for my cholesterol and after about a couple of months taking statins, I had to increase my insulin dose drammatically. I became T1D. Personally I think that the statins triggered my T1D.

I forgot to add in my thoughts about triggers for my type 1 that as child I had chronic bronchitis- every time I had a cold I was getting it.. My pediatrician somehow figured out that it was due to me being allergic to my own bacteria and gave me shots for six weeks with my own bacteria. After that I stopped getting bronchitis all the time. I just wonder if that could have been a sign something auto-immune or just generally with my immune system was going on with me then.

Personally, I think it’s impossible for me to get past the fact that I spent a lifetime of enjoying the typical modern super high carb diet. I never ever thought I could break the carb addiction until I actually tried. Since removing all the usual culprits (sodas, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc) I’ve been able to lower my BG levels and don’t wander around the whole day waiting for the next carb fix. I know there is still controversy over a LC diet, but I won’t argue with success! For me personally it’s as simple as that.

I was still sick with the virus that was assumed the culprit. Coxsackie B virus.
I got what I thought was an upper respiratory cold,cough. I could not shake it. I went to a doc and he gave me some antibiotics and some cough meds. After that I started having my diabetic symptoms like excessive thirst and excessive urination. I was also losing weight and having blurred vision. I just thought the meds were causing the symptoms, so I didn't worry. I was feeling so bad that a friend drove me to the ER and I was admitted with DKA.
They tested me for Coxsackie B because it is the most common trigger in Type 1 and there you go, I had it still active.

You all know the rest of that story.

Several months before I was diagnosed I had a mild but persistent "bug", probably a viral infection. I was also under a great deal of stress and working three jobs so I had no days off.

When I became frequently thirsty and started peeing frequently, they did a urine test (the only available test in 1970 other than a glucose stress test). The results were negative so they rule out Diabetes.

The polyuria and polydipsia continued and I lost over 30 pounds, this when I was very slim and a low-normal weight. My vision became blurry (a serious problem since one of my jobs was as a taxi driver.

The doctor finally had me go to the hospital for a glucose stress test and blood workup. My blood glucose test was over 700, I had advanced Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA), and was critically dehydrated.

I was admitted to the ICU, given IV fluids and started on R and NPH insulin. I was hospitalized for 13 days. During this time I received intensive training in taking multiple daily injections, frequent dual void urine tests, Diabetic Food Exchange lists, and overall self-care. I had daily consultations with a Diabetologist, Nutritionist, Dietitian, and Diabetes Nurse Educator.

I started with glass syringes, and had to use Clinitest tablets and a test tube for urine BG testing.

When I received the diagnosis I was actually relieved because for three months that had not known my condition. They thought I might have Bright's disease or some other rare condition since the initial urine test was negative.

When I entered the hospital I knew my body was seriously extremely ill, but felt that the "I" was fine. After the diagnosis I was determined to learning everything I could to take care of this chronic but manageable condition.

In 42+ years I have never said "I am a diabetic". Instead I say "I have Diabetes. I control Diabetes, it does not control or define me."

Hope this is helpful

I had chicken pox at the time I was diagnosed at age 5.

Well, I know that T1 (and T2) runs in my family. However, I think what triggered my T1 was stress related. A few years ago I was literally burning the candle at both ends (working two jobs, dealing with a mother with Alzheimer's disease, and an assortment of family issues. A long story). So, between October and December of that year I started feeling very lethargic. I knew something was wrong but I just assumed it was because I needed a vacation. Then in early January I went into DKA and was properly diagnosed.
While I have the genetic traits for it I definitely think it was the stress that triggered it.
I've since alleviated all of those previous stressors from my life and I've maintained better control over my Diabetes and general health.

This is exactly what happened to me, verbatim!

I have had type 1 for 31 years now and have known many people who like myself had a transfusion when born who also have type 1, leukemia & different genetic illnesses. I also have a blood disorder called Spherocytosis. I think anything added to a babies body when the system has not yet developed causes future health problems.

That is interesting, Toddy. I can't point to similar stress as a cause for myself but a friend of mine got t1 after her son was severely injured in a motor vehicle accident.

I wasn't there :) but my Mom said that I had Chicken Pox at 6 or 7 months old.
I know that is a far cry from being dxd. at 3 years old but it was an interesting thought.

I'm not sure how long it takes for the immune system to kill off most of the beta
cells before the Type 1 Diabetes symptoms actually show up. I read somewhere that
it usually takes between 8 - 12 months. Not sure if that is correct.

Hi everyone,

My situation is quiet weird. I kept getting colds and tonsillitis loads when I was a kid and the doctors would not take my tonsils out. When I reached 17 I went to the doctors with all the diabetic signs and he said I was doing too much sport !!!

I carried on until I was 29 and could not take the peeing all the time, fatigue feeling like I had ran a marathon before I had even started my day, craving sweet foods etc. I went back to my doctors, by this time I had moved house so a new set of doctors. They said straight away I doubt you are diabetic, but we will check to be on the safe side. Hey presto diabetic. They labelled me as type 2 to begin with, tried dieting, then in came the tablets still no control. S I asked my doctor if I could try insulin, she was not overly convinced but said she would let me try it for 1 month and if I could gain better control I could stay on it. It was the best self decision I had ever made and really pleased the doctor listened to my views about what was not working for me.

Most likely stress. Family drama

I was not diagnosed type 1 until age 26. However, I had my 4th child at age 25 and she was born with a low blood sugar. I had gone through a clinic with Placenta Previa and after the blood transfusion and a 4th c-section they realized I was never tested for diabetes the entire pregnancy. Between the age of 20 and 25 I had 4 c-sections ( one also including placenta eruption an emergency appendicitis. I was told when my baby was 6 months old I had diabetes but it had to be type 2 because of my age. One year later I weighed only 92 pounds and had a terrible dry mouth. Turns out after 2 weeks in ICU I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes finally insulin was given and all the doctors could say is they were sorry. I think my body had just taken all it could and diabetes is the result. I finally recieved a pump one year ago and it has made my life a little easier.