What's the record for the days a sensor has lasted?

You’re amazing, Jonah! The most I EVER got out of a Minimed sensor was 6 days, and that was by the skin of my teeth. I really don’t know why some people get so much wear and others don’t – and it seems like the accuracy of the devices varies by person too. I’m hoping, when my MM warranty expires, to get a Dexcom, because the MM doesn’t give me the accuracy I want – it reads too low in the low range, and too high in the high range. If that was consistent, OK, but it isn’t – I’ve had lows that it never caught, and I only know about them because I HAPPENED to test on my meter – I didn’t feel them. That’s sort of scary. I’m not even sure why I continue to wear the CGM, except that as a percentage, I at least know if I’m high or low about 80% of the time, even if the actual numbers are off.

Thanks to this discussion, I am now trying to make my sensors last longer than 3 days. how do you keep the thing charged? I kept the sensor end in place and recharged the battery for 15 minutes yesterday. I then put new tape over the whole thing. I use a minimed CGM.

I've kept mine in for longer than 3 days, but loss of battery power isn't what indicates that it's dead. The sensor just stops coming up with anything close to accurate results. Either it reports the BG as 'flatlining' or plummeting towards zero.

Best I got with my Navigator sensors was 75 days, no infection, irritation. It got more accurate the longer it was in. I only stopped it because I bumped it and knocked it off.

Best I've done with Dex is 20 days.

I start to itch under the skin after about 3 days,, same with the infusion set. I wish I could make the sensor last longer but the itching is so uncomfortable. I've had to change it out after 2 days because of this problem too. :(

I wonder if you're allergic to the tape? Maybe you could put down some sort of barrier before inserting?

My sensors usually last 2 - 3 days. The last couple lasted for 6 days. Is there a trick to calibrating the sensor in order to make it last longer. I try to calibrate 3 times over a 24 hour period.

Since I started using IV3000, I've had better length and performance out of the sensor. I think the "trick" might be to cover up the "front" of the sensor (where the wire goes in the skin) sufficiently so that it doesn't move and water (from showers, etc) doesn't seep in the area too much. I really believe the placement of the IV3000 makes a difference.

Andy, have you tried Opsite Flexifix? I just restarted my current dexcom sensor for the start of week 3 and the flexifix hasn't deteriorated a bit. The stuff is amazing!

The longest I've gotten with accuracy is 3 wks 1 day.

Jrtpup, doesn't the site start to get irritable after that much time? With the Medtronic, I generally get either 2 or 7 days out of it (rarely anything in between), but it really starts to itch as time goes on.

Scott, nope, I don't even know it's there, and no mark left when I remove it after a few hours. I don't know what the sensor is like in the MM, the dex is about the thickness of 2 human hairs. It's one wire wrapped around another, one is platinum - I forgot what the other is but equally inert. Accuracy seems to improve with time, till it crashes.

Yes, this is what I think is best too. I use two pieces of 3000. First one covers the transmitter and the second covers the sensor. It's hard to get the tape off my skin after being on a week.

I change my sensors after 2 runs- 6 days. I just don't want it in for longer than that. It just seems like longer is too long to have anything in. My sensors are actually working well when I take them out. I use a iv3000 to cover mine and it never gets wet. It never gets irritated either. I think keeping it dry is the best way to make the sensors last.

Tape always gets irritated and itchy.

In Australia they are studying a sensor that stays in one year, But participants are saying they are still getting good results after year two. The entire sensor is transdermal. I would love to have one of those. Maybe in 30 years it will pass the FDA over here in the US.
The only trouble is that it has to be placed by a doctor and removed by a second procedure. Still they can just switch them out I would think, and only once every year or 2. I'm in,

+1

I think it really comes down to variations in body chemistry.

Ok folks help out a new user.
Currently i'm following the directions and changing every three days. Apparently i'm a lemming.

What do you do? When you get "Sensor End" do you just say there is a new sensor and do the two hour warm-up?

How do you know when the sensor is "not working" after 12 or 20 days?
If it goes for 12 days why not 50?

BTW - I think the software that runs the CGM is pretty crappy.

Mine itched and drove me crazy so I use a barrier spray by 3M called Cavilon. Make sure to insert first and connect the sensor so the needle tip does not get contaminated and nothing gets in the sensor. Then spray and add the tape. I have zero itchiness now.

I also would like to know how! I'm a newbie to the CGM and am very excited about what I have read in this group. I hope I am not too late to join in - most of these posts are over a year old......
Do you just charge and reconnect? with or without a warm-up?

man What r u guys using? I use Dexcom, and 8 days (once) is its best...Ive heard there is another CGM out there - but is much more invasive..

Dexcom G4. Sam, don't know if this has been answered for you yet. On the Dexcom, you stop sensor, start sensor, enter the calibrations and it's good to go.