When do third trimester highs start?

Hi all,

I’m 30 weeks pregnant. Blood sugars have been pretty good throughout my pregnancy (A1C has been 5.3), which has been a huge relief. But now I’ve hit the third trimester and expected insulin resistance to kick in by now. I’ve had to increase my carb ratios some but not nearly what I expected. Has anyone else experienced this?

It started at 29 weeks for me, but it’s been gradual, I make minor adjustments every couple weeks.

1 Like

Hey! Not super helpful, except to provide solidarity… I’m 30+5 now also with an A1C of 5.3-5.4 through pregnancy, and I’ve also been wondering where my mega resistance is! I did have to increase my nighttime basals about a week ago… and of course my carb and correction ratios some along the way, but I’m definitely not using as much insulin as I expected to be using by now. My endo was wholeheartedly unconcerned so I guess I’m just counting my blessings!

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one! Mine hasn’t said anything either but I might ask the educator when I send her my stuff.

I no longer remember exactly, but mine came in pretty “late” in the pregnancy, which made it even more of a shock. I would say it was at least the whole last month (I made it to 40w3d), maybe a little longer. I do know that at the end my total daily doses were about 3x what I was used to from before pregnancy. It felt like I was constantly (and warily) upping the basal and I:C ratios on my pump, like almost every other day.