When you finally accept your site failed

I hate accepting a bad site when it feels ok. But then this happens.

1 Like

Wow, that’s some aggressive bolusing!!!

I also did an early set change (day 2), due to pain. But run most 3-4 days so didn’t feel too bad doing it, and keep buffer supply.

My average bolus is 25 units per day… And that one high was more than my entire day, so I need to just change it sooner. I keep thinking it will just start working.
It’s not logical

2 Likes

After the second or third bolus didn’t work, I would have tried a syringe rather than continuing through the pump. If the syringe worked it would prove the site was bad. If the syringe didn’t work I’d keep using the syringe until the problem was solved, and then try the pump again to see if it was working and I just had a problem with insulin resistance or more carbs than I thought.

Rage bolus, baby, YEAH!

Tim

3 Likes

I just had a pod a couple of nights ago I knew I probably dislodged when turning over while sleeping. (Slight pain feeling) Sure enough, first high alarm, hey I had only been asleep for a couple of hours, gave a correction, went back to sleep. Second high alarm, gave another dose, tried to go back to sleep, but in the back of my mind I knew I should take care of it but I really wanted to ignore it. Sigh, got out of bed and changed my pod.

2 Likes

Good for you, Marie! That’s not an easy choice but does speak volumes about your commitment to your health.

2 Likes

Isn’t it amazing how often we all do this?! You just keep thinking it will be fine, it’s working, it doesn’t feel bad, it’s not leaking etc. We just keeping throwing insulin at it, when we all know, just change it out and see. But do we, nope!
You are in a huge group of people who understand and who have done the same thing. And for me the frustrating thing, I don’t really need to worry about losing an infusion set early. I have enough but nope I keep hoping. Sorry it was one of those days. We all have them! And maybe this example will help us prevent it from happening to us.
I know, wishful thinking, right?!

2 Likes

I’m terrible. My partner is really sensitive to the smell of insulin, which I don’t notice anymore at all. If I hit 200, I’m shoving my infusion sites under his nose to sniff for leaks. If he doesn’t start retching and making awful faces, then it MUST be fine (right???) and I become a rage bolus fiend!

And without fail, as soon as I give up and change the set out, my BG starts dropping immediately. As in, too soon for the new site to be working yet. I should’ve just been more patient.

2 Likes

Ahhh the concentrated smell of band-aids ! I know it well.

If I smell it at all, I’ll change out my set.

2 Likes

Makes you feel like fate is toying with you. I would argue that it’s much better to change out a suspected bad site that turns out to be good than it is to stick with a bad site in hope of glucose levels returning to normal.

Sticking with a bad site too long is fraught with danger because it wastes precious time when you should be adding insulin to a fresh site to backfill a bolus and basal cumulative deficit. Whereas switching sites too soon does not carry the same health risk. It’s aggravating to replace an expensive supply before its time, but spending excessive time in hyperglycemia is not worth it to me.

2 Likes

It’s a new psychological disorder.
Diabetic site denial : all data tells you do act, but you don’t.
There is a false belief that it will resolve on its own, but it never does.
It’s a very weird condition, and I suffer from it.

There is also a level. I have stage 5, where I don’t give up until the fifth unsuccessful bolus. I am working on pulling down to stage 3.

I’m trying to find a support group just for this

10 Likes

If you do find a support group, please come back here and post the link as I ‘suffer’ from this problem too. I find that “rage boluses” don’t seem to remedy my problems with bad site. Sigh…

1 Like

Great. Something else to look forward to. I have not experienced site failure . . . yet.
I find the amount of biomedical waste I generate with each new site alarming. I want to see if I can, contrary to the firm advice of the nice diabetes teaching ladies, go 4 days between changes!

@Timothy , two words = scar tissue. Insulin in between two layers of scar tissue and then, like a blister, is released into the interstitial fluid. You know the rest of the path into the body and the drop occurs.

Hope this helps.

That drop was from the final 5 units on the new set. I have often wondered where that insulin goes taht didn’t get absorbed

Though it’s not entirely irrational. In my case it doesn’t derive from the need to be frugal with insets (I have a stockpile built up), or even the knowledge that if I get up at 4am and change it, I’m not going to get back to sleep. It has much more to do with the real estate problem. I just hate having to use up the extra location when that is becoming a dwindling resource as time goes on. I just hate wasting extra locations to get through a single reservoir (I only load up a 3-day supply). Probably the biggest argument for the non-tethered approach: more locations. There are places like the lower back, the back of the arms, that just don’t work for a tubed pump, or at least not for me. Clothes catching on them and ripping 'em out; the hassle of threading the tube around to wherever your pump is located. I’ve tried, but it’s always a disaster. OTOH, when I read about pods I keep seeing comments about stuff that I knew would drive me nuts. I guess it’s a case of the devil you know.

The more I read about pumps, the more determined I am to stay with mdi.

@machiya We might complain about our insulin pumps, but I bet almost all pf us wouldn’t make a choice to go back to MDI if we could help it!

1. I can have different basal rates, I have FOTF and DP sometimes and that is extremely useful. I also need less basal insulin as the day goes on.

2. I can do a temporary decrease or increase at any point during the day if needed. Invaluable when I decide to swim for 3 hours or the night after I swam for 3 hours. Or when I have an infection.

3. I can give micro doses to adjust my BG level all day if I want, I never bothered with trying to give an adjustments for 5-10 points before with a shot.

4. I can give a dose with a push of a button. Sure a shot isn’t that hard, but a button push is super easy.

I’m sure there are plenty of more reasons, Those are the 4 I can think of as important to me. And sure I pay for it with having to do a pod change every 3 days, and site failures, but I think those don’t come close to offsetting the pluses.

I know plenty of people that are happy with MDI, it’s important to use what you like better and what works for you. People are usually writing when they have an issue, not about all the happy times. I know even with any issues I would not give up my pump easily.

2 Likes

When I was on mdi I was taking 8 or more injections every day
I would get little red spots on all of my shirts because my sites would bleed so often.
When I tried to tighten control, I was needing 12 injections, that’s when I started pumping.
Nothing is perfect. We just heed to figure out which he’ll is tolerable.

3 Likes