When you forget your lancet

That first picture gave me the shivers. I remember when I was in college I donated plasma and they would test your BG. They used a device similar to that and it hurt like hell. It was worse than the needle into the vein.

When I look back on it I am not sure how I did it but that 15 dollars was beer money so I guess it was worth it and that was only 94, yikes!!!

Now that’s funny Dino!!! Would it work after you peeed on it??? Or would the urine make it quit working???

agh! I would NEVER not use my lancing device!! I’ve been without it and the fear of manually lancing my finger (or using another object) is enough to make me treat what I think my blood sugar is simply by guessing!

I give blood every other month and they still use the old lancing device that has a mile or so to swing down and gain speed before it jams through my tiny, innocent finger. That’s the worst part. =o( You’d think modern technology would’ve caught up by now.

I’m not sure. My cell phone still works…

I used a splinter remover needle thingy at my father in laws house when I forgot my clicker … lol

and I used a lancet on it’s own once or twice…

not fun but felt it was more important to check

i just use the lancet. my what i call picker broke. i do it fast it makes it easier for me.i now have two pickers incase i lose one.

HA! HA! HA!

I agree Stacie - when will the doctor’s offices get with the times? I remember that my pediatrician’s office used the old kind of device - torture! I remember one time whipping out my own lancet and device and doing it myself to the confusion of the poor nurse who was just trying to take a blood sample for some test! I have always found myself explaining “trust me, I know how to do this” - even as a kid.

Anyone else ever tell a poor intern “no, you want to go for such-and-such vein at such-and-such angle b/c of my scar tissue and, oh, you’ll need to use the butterfly” or tell a paramedic what to do in an emergency. Once in a car wreck, I told the paramedic that I thought I’d suffered an injury to the gonial edge of my jawline. I remember him giving me the “wtf?” look. Hey, we know our bodies. So sue me! :wink:

Gotta hand it to the manual lancet users…d*mn. Don’t know how y’all do it. I’m not afraid of doing it, but I find it bruises me and leaves my finger tender. I don’t feel pain at all from the devices on the market now, so that’s gonna be my preference.

Melissa,

I find myself tellig those ppl more than once sometimes you can’t use my right arm to start an IV or draw blood it was waisted about 16 years ago thanks to a transpland! Also don’t try that vein you won’t get nothing out of there or it will blow in no time!! But do they EVER listen most of the time no and they put me through about 10 sticks before they decide I knew what I was talking about!!! That’s one reason why I try to stay around Jackson TN. They know me here in the hospital and most of the EMT’s know me too! They won’t argue with me 1/2 as much!! HA!! AND YES I WILL ARGUE WITH THEM!!!

(I know, this is an old message but I just found it).

I can’t remember forgetting a lancet, being that mine always stays in the stabber device – whichever I use at the time; though I HAVE lost the cap and had to figure out where to hold my finger before (courageously) hitting the button! In those cases, I usually just give up and do it manually.

I always, now, carry extra lancets in my meter pouch. I was in a situation a few years back where a person I was with was having a hypoglycemic reaction, or so it appeared. I knew that I should test his blood sugar and was willing to use my own meter/strips to do it, but – uh oh – only one lancet. And it’s the same one I’d been using for weeks. (No alcohol swabs either). Considering the situation, I ran it under hot water, tested my friend, then ran it under hot water again so I could test myself again when the time came. When I got home, I threw that one out, and since then, I’ve always kept at least two additional lancets with me just for that reason.