Query for Longtime T1s

What happens when your lancet pen hits 5 and you are so callused that you struggle to get enough for a test strip?

Some brands of lancets seem to do better getting through caluses. I like the Multiclix and Fastclix lancets that come with Roche meters. Sometimes I have to fire again if it doesn’t draw enough blood. Most times I can get a sample, however. I always use my fingertips and exclude thumbs and index fingers.

I use the BD Ultra Thin 33g lancets, they work in all my devices. I use a new one every day, the sharper the lancet the less work it has to o. I use my thumbs and sides of all my fingers. There are also options for alternate testing sites on parts of the body other than the fingertip: most commonly the forearm, palm or thigh.

1 Like

I use a Multiclix and change my lancet about once a week, sometimes more. It’s significantly helped with my callouse issues.

I wish I could remember the name of a special lotion that the sherriffs office gave me before when they had to fingerprint me (voluntarily on my part) I had been roofing houses all summer (long time ago when I actually did real work) and my fingerprints were sanded down to nothing and calloused over… That stuff was absolutely amazing. I’ve never seen it since.

After 40 years of T1, I still use 1 or 1.5. Of course there wasn’t home BG testing that long ago, so it’s only been 33-34 years of poking my fingers.

My issues for getting blood have more to do with the temperature. When I am cold, I have a hard time getting blood. When temperatures warm up, no problem at all.

I use Multiclix and Delica. I also have a Fastclix, but like the Multiclix much better.

Change lancets more often - you may not want to, and you may not think it’s necessary, but the only way to get rid of those calluses is to use a fresh lancet more often - even changing daily makes a huge difference vs “never” changing it.

I’ve had T1 for almost 16 years and for the first 5 years or so I rarely changed my lancet (and unfortunately used a meter for the first year that required a HUGE drop of blood), and developed calluses. I hated dealing with that, and switching lancing devices to one that is no longer available (renew) that forced you to use a new lancet every time you tested, and gradually they went away, and I was able to set the depth to be much less. Now I use my fastclix on the shallowest setting… even setting it to 1 is too deep. I change the lancet twice a day (when I wake up, and after lunch), and the drum about twice a week - it’s not a huge inconvenience.

1 Like

I change mine (one touch delica 33g) nearly every finger stick now. I still have some callouses and I’ve only been at this 4 years or so but it helps, the sharper the better. For me the side of my finger is better. It is often more of a circulation problem for me too so running hands under warm water is the best when needed.

I’ve been doing this for 27 years. I got a free poker from Anthem who had a chronic disease management program that I was enrolled in 5 or maybe a few more years ago. I have pretty bad callouses on my fingertips and rarely change my lancet. Usually, I don’t have a problem getting blood. If I’m cold, though, it can get tricky. Sometimes I will just poke my finger myself with just the lancet, sometimes I will poke twice in a row with the poker (it doesn’t need to be cocked so I just hold it still and press it twice). This kind of makes two blood drops that will combine to make a larger one.

Maybe try a different poker or different lancets.

I think I changed lancets every fingerstick for like the first week after dx, but that was over 30 years ago and nowadays I think I change it about–gaack–once a year maybe? I do rotate to a new finger every day though. Maybe that’s why I don’t have too much problem, except on certain fingers that have just always been stubborn. And I play guitar a lot, too, but those callouses are out on the fingertips, not so much pad or sides.

Thats easy, when that happens…

I CHANGE the lancet… then it works every time :smile:

I snap the lancet three times in rapid succession.

I’ve never had that problem, but I imagine you could start pricking your forearm or another place until your fingers heal up?

Could be the spring in your lancing device, too. I had a onetouch device where the spring wore out. As for callouses, I prick all over my fingers, front, back and up and down along them and palm of hand to give each site a break. I also use bag balm overnight to soften my hands.

Are you all telling me that you are supposed to CHANGE your lancet? I assumed that you just kept using the same one until the spring broke in your device or you lost it???

Joel

7 Likes

Oddly enough, yes, it can be done. Just one of those obscure details many of us have overlooked for decades…

I always thought the clicker devices were a LUXURY. Much better than a direct stab with a naked lancet! AND you needed about a half a pint of blood to cover the pad on the end of the strip.

Unfortunately, for me, I have Medicare as my primary provider and am in a Competitive Bid state, so I get what Medicare gives me! I know that you are approaching Medicare eligibility so please be aware that your doctor must keep very good records including how many times a day she/he wants you to test. Medicare allows three tests pre day for anyone using insulin! I test 12 times per day. I have been appealing denials for the strips and lancets that they won’t cover. The Medicare Appeals process is very time consuming. They will require doctors progress reports from your visits and glucose logs for your tests. Those must be signed by your doctor. They also do not answer any questions. The read from a script and don’t vary. They are totally unfamiliar with today.s technology and are not used to dealing with T1D’s and especially T1D’s like you and I who monitor closely, use ans insulin pump and CGM (not medically necessary, according to Medicare) and have great A1c results (5.9%). I am sharing this info because I have been through this and more and wish somewone had shared this info with me. It gives you time to be prepared.

My understanding is that you can choose to buy supplies locally at places like Target, Walmart, Walgreen’s, etc. Then can you get the exact brand that you want?

I am in what is called a Medicare Compeititve Bid area… I must use a Medicare contracted supplier because Medicare is trying to “save money”. When I go to the Medicare .gov website and go to the Competitive Bid section, it asks for my zip code and the type of supplies. Diabetic Testing Supplies are listed under the competitive bid portion and when I hit the search button. it lists the Medicare contracted providers I can use.