Who Does The Majority Of Diabetic Supper Meals At Your Home?

I’m with you on the dislike of cooking. It’s just not fun for me. But, that’s ALL cooking…I don’t have a “diabetic” supper plan. I make simple modifications to make the meals more friendly for me or I choose not to eat certain things I serve the family. (Like corn…it’s used to FATTEN up animals so I try to avoid it. But, my husband likes to make corn on the cob so I just skip it when he grills).

I was diagnosed Type 1 a year ago and am starting to leave the honeymoon stage. It’s tough. I’m really working on better meal planning. It’s hard because I have 4 kids and my husband has disordered eating. I can’t keep the foods I need in the house (and I’ve resorted to locking up some items but some things have to be refrigerated). We eat out/order in a lot but it’s not good for our health or waistlines so we are (well, I am!) working on changing some things.

My goal is to start cooking 3 nights a week and having left overs. In the past it’s worked well if I post a menu/schedule so everyone knows what to expect. For me, it’s 99% planning! If I have a plan, I can follow it. The kids love tacos (I do mine on a salad) and I have started making spaghetti squash as a pasta options. (I still make regular pasta for the kids but I’m just as happy with the squash). I’m working on making “real food” items like some of the recipes mentioned in this thread. Roast with veggies, salad, etc. I think it’s much healthier and it’s easier to calculate carbs when we use the whole foods versus casseroles, etc. I also, am working on cleaner eating/organic, etc and am reading a Paleo book. It may be a bit too intense for me but I am working on simple meals that are healthy, easy to prepare and the everyone will enjoy.

I think it’s all about progress not perfection. See if your wife will help you with meal planning ideas. We have a “I cook, you clean” rule which is helpful as well. I’ve also tried to engage the family in the cooking process. My husband enjoys cooking on the grill so that’s a good option as long as I buy the meat. I don’t like the qualify he selects sometimes.

My wife Sheryl does them. Trust me everyone needs a Sheryl

2 Likes

We both cook. We both garden. We are foodies. :sunglasses:
I eat oatmeal every morning,prior to exercise. Lunch can be soup or salad. Supper is meat,veggies. Snacks are sf hot chocolate. Nancy

Once upon a time, about 50 years ago, my family discussed my cooking. They didn’t think much of it. My husband said, “I’m a scientist–I should be able to cook”. We bought cookbooks, he started cooking, and I do believe he’s one of the world’s best cooks. He doesn’t cook “Diabetic Suppers”–just great meals that everyone loves (also gluten-free thanks to my Celiac Disease). Rphil2, I share your thought, but I will rephrase it: everyone needs a Hardy!

1 Like

I am an amateur gourmet chef. I do all the cooking in my family. My wife cleans all the dishes. That is our agreement.

I shop with her at night. I try to keep each meal low carb, but my wife loves her sweet things. In some, I have replaced sugar with stevia. I load up on proteins and veggies. I do bake artesian breads, so she can eat bread. I only eat one slice, if I choose to eat bread.

For Thanksgiving, my sister makes carb heavy dishes, so I take salad makings and a low carb veggie.

Amazing you were gracious and are helping me just by your answer.Robert - How - What - doing for LOADING UP on Proteins and Vegetables?I am very serious in my question and have not succeeded in lowering my carbintake to a low point and sustain that low point. Thus - I am very, very , carb attached.

1. A nice sirloin steak medium rare and a large salad and then sprinkle the plate with tiny bits of carrot. 2. A large thick pork chop braised in chicken broth and white wine for four hours till its way tender and then add some Italuan green beans with Asiago cheese on top. 3. Fresh Farm raised catfish baked with thousand island dressing served with a small ball of rice with onions and capers. My favorite, 4. one chicken breast simmered in butter, flipped and then slathered in Sriracha sauce while it finishes, that with braised cauliflower and a small lettuce and tomato salad.

I use insulin because I will still get numbers from all these. But this will give you an idea of how I do it.

Or really basic like I do low carb, a chop, steak or fish with salad or vegetables. Very quick and easy, you can make sauces to go with this if you want to add different flavours.

yes

Will you share a nice rib eye with me, medium rare, with asparagus and a bit of @Brian_BSC 's aoili?

1 Like

Yes sure, I made tapenade this morning, so we could have some on some flatbread or celery for starters.
How did you know I like my steaks medium rare?!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like