Why can't I PUMP!?

Okay, pick one of the more progressive endos in the practice you are in or find an endo who will prescribe a pump. See ONE endo; why do you need approval from all three? Sounds more like a jury than a practice. And, yes, you could tell him you want him to prescribe pump and CGMS and kill two birds with one stone, LOL! I would call up Minimed and get a list of the pump friendly endos in your area (does not mean you have to choose a Minimed pump). Not allowing a pump because your blood sugars are high or low seems strange (pump is just an insulin delivery device really). Our practice did make us keep really good blood sugar logs, taught us basal/bolus routine on MDI (basal testing on MDI, etc.), two visits with social worker, two with CDE and a few with endo. But they accomplished all this in a four month period. Deliberately sought out an endo who was pump friendly, but also one who prescribed the pump right away. Endo in town has people wait a year usually. P.S. As for the pump keeping on pumping when low, you can at least set a minus temp basal for lows with the pump. What does the endo think Lantus does once injected if you are low?

Saya, I have been on my pump for three months now and won’t go back to MDI. Stand your ground. I didn’t really have to fight to get one, it was suggested to me and I made my mind up the next appointment and now it’s all mine. It really sounds like you’re a candidate for one. Good luck.

Saya, I’m sorry you’re having such an issue getting a pump! My doctor, he isn’t an endo, but a diabetologist with 25+ years of diabetes research, etc, basically told me on our last visit that not going on a pump wasn’t a option, if I wanted the control that I told him I wanted. If I were you, I would find a different endo or even a diabetologist and talk to them about what you’re wanting. I know for me, my next appointment we’re going to discuss CGMS and all that fun stuff. My doctor on our 3 month visit spends about an hour and a half going over everything (I go in the week before my appointment and do blood work so he has the results at my appointment). When I first called into Animas to get my pump, the pump rep actually said that I had one of the best doctors she has ever worked with. When I was first diagnosed, my first endo was such a bad doctor, he wouldn’t listen to me, told me that I needed to only take insulin when i was feeling “bad”, and a whole bunch of other stuff! It was awful! I realized one day that my doctor works for me, if I wasn’t happy with him, then I needed to go endo-shopping. I did and haven’t regretted it since! Good luck my dear!

Well, I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I think you meet the criteria mostly because you want one and know what it entails. Lots of testing… You have more control with the pump at night than you do with Lantus !!
Besides, are you asking the endocrinologist to pay for the pump ??? NO I think you may need to find someone who is a little more progressive in your treatment. Don’t give up. YOu are motivated and deserve to use the pump to help you manage diabetes. Good luck !!! Nancy

I got my hypo awareness BACK when I went on the pump! And so did another long-term diabetic I know who had very severe lows and complete unawareness. She just went on the pump a few months ago, and now she can feel it if she goes down to 70. (me, too).

Ruth

I had the same issue over and over. I went through three endo’s until finally someone who felt the same way I did. I told her how the las tendo told me it could take up to another year to get me pumping and wanted all this info. I am the mother of two, at the time they were29 months and 8 months not to mentioned I work full time. She also stated there would be about tweleve classes etc. When would I get the time, let alone the sanity. Then I was finally listened to. I walked in and told her the pump I wanted and she tolld me to think it over. Her experience was that the pods made the most sense especiall for me and my crazy life. Turns out she was right, and it took a toltal of 8 weekes with insurance approval (I didn’t do anything but sign a few things, her office did the rest) and the delievery of my starter kit. If I wouldn’t have changed Dr.'s I’d still be waiting instead of enjoying my 6th month of being on the pod.

In short, you need to find a Dr. that understands whats important to you. Some never want to consider a pump, others don’t understand, and for ones like you and me, we research and research, and yet your talked to as if you have no clue what your in for. Trust me, if at all possible, change Dr.'s

You know, I was thinking, you can tell them because the pump can give you exact and small amounts of insulin, you won’t have the tendency to over correct or give less accurate amounts of insulin. Especially if you have hypo unawareness, the more accurate the dosing, the better able to keep you in range. Besides, the pump can keep you from overcorrecting for highs as well. You have all of the reasons and rationale - now you need someone who thinks the same way !!! Nancy

You should consider finding another endo. Or any other med professional that can support you in your efforts. You don’t absolutely need an endo to have a good health care team. I’ve never seen an endo in 5 years. I’m on a pump, CGM and use Symlin. I have good A1c’s. I work with a CDE/PA almost exclusively.

Get rid of those who really aren’t helping. Take the initiative.

A pump actually helps you to not have hypoglycemia unawareness.I know because I was like that.You can set your target sugars to be a little higher and you will eventually get your feeling back.I have no idea why they won’t let you start on a pump.