Why you love your pump?

Please share with me what you love and hate about your particular pump. I am trying to figure out which one to go with. Your opinion is valued here.

I am using an Animas 2020 right now.I liked this pump because of it has the smallest basal rate of .025 for those who are really sensitive.It also has a food database.The One touch Ping has a Calorie King database that can be uploaded to your meter, so you will have accurate carbohydrate counting.The screen is illuminated so it is good in the dark.It is also waterproof if you like to swim alot.My 2020's warranty just expired and I got my One Touch Ping today.I really like it.

I don't have any problems with my MiniMed 722. It blew up once and they sent me a new/ refurbished one that worked great out of the box. The new MM Revel pumps also do the .025 increments for rates so I've been intrigued by the idea of swapping it out but when I called them, they said "go online" and when I went online, they said "call us" so I haven't followed up but the warranty is toast in April so I'd better get 'er done soon? I like the simplicity of the interface and that it seems very durable. I've put a lot of miles (Tae Kwon Do, running, cycling...) on it and it's worked great. When it blew up, it'd been drenched in sweat on a two hour run in 87 degree heat. The rep didn't think that caused it but I never saw the report and, perhaps unusually, I fixed it! When I got home, the "button error" message wouldn't go away so I took the battery out and left it in the sun to dry it out from the sweat. A few hours later, I tried the battery and it was still beeping and I didn't want to listen to it (it was 4th of July weekend and we had a party goin' on...) so I put it in the freezer and, when I took it out, it seemed to have "recovered" as if it would work again? I was too chicken to try it out but I've wondered what happened to it?

I am still using 1st pump, MM 722. 4 years, "it ain't broke so I don't fix it!" I chose it because of integrated pump/CGMS, but I have switched to DexCom for CGMS, the MM system just did not work for me - hard to keep calibrated, always bled w/insertions, hard to keep it taped on as I am very active, etc. When this pump breaks, I plan on switching to Animas as it is waterproof. Maybe I'll be lucky and Animas and Dex will be integrated by then!

I use the Minimed Revel and here are some things I really like about it:

1. It comes in two sizes. Since I use less insulin than most folks, I opt for the smaller size pump.

2. It comes in colors and there are tons of skins you can choose from on Skinit.com (ok, I sound like a woman shopping for a car, but it's the little things sometimes...)

3. Delivers insulin in very small units (0.025). But the Ping does this too.

4. It is easy to conceal.

5. It has the integrated CGM. I don't use this feature very often, but I like having it there all in one device.

6. The menu/interface is very intuitive and doesn't require as many button pushes as the Ping.

7. Bolus wizard. I LOVE THE BOLUS WIZARD.

8. Minimed's customer service has been fantastic. They did a great job getting me through the approval process and I had my pump within a couple of weeks. It was probably the most flawless health care experience I've ever had.

9. The pump itself seems to be extremely durable. I am very active and I love the fact that this little device can really take some abuse and not fail. That said, I try to be as careful as I can with my pump, but accidents are bound to happen when you're wearing something 24/7.

10. Basal patterns. I love basal patterns. For me, it has been the basal patterns that have resulted in better overall control and generally feeling better. I love that I can just turn down my basal rate and go for a run, rather than having to decide the night before if I'm going to go for a run the next day.

11. Minimed has a really good selection of infusion sets. I love the Mios, but some people have other preferences. With so many to choose from, it's easy to find something that works for your body.

12. I have found that the "NO DELIVERY" feature on the Revel is really sensitive. And this is a good thing. You want to know immediately if you're not getting insulin.

Those are the things that come to mind. Overall, I've been very happy with my Revel and wouldn't trade it for the world.

You are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you so much for helping me along this journey. One question, how do you conceal the pump? How do you wear it.

I LOVE my Omnipod! No tubes, auto-insertion, can wear it in the water, bolus from my handheld PDM which is also my meter, and I can put it anywhere on my body! My favorites are the back of my arms and my low back. I am very active, so I love the temp basal and again no tubes :) Also love my Dexcom CGM!

I'm on the omnipod. It was the only pump I would consider because of the self-insertion feature. I had a pump back in the late 90's and never got the hang of inserting it. I hear that it's "not so bad" these days with other pumps, but I started hyperventaling just thinking about inserting the site again :)

I am really happy with the choice of the omnipod. I really love the ease of changing sites. It's a 3 day rotation. It did take me a bit to figure out where I could wear the pod and get good absorption. Thankfully, I have been able to use my arms, flank and upper butt (none of which I used with MDI so they are all new real estate for me).

I love the fact that I do not have ever disconnect the pod from my body. I do everything while wearing the pod.

I know some people think the pod is bulky and want to wait until the smaller pod comes out (in the TBD future). If the smaller pod never came and the current pod is as good as it gets, I am still completely happy with my choice. (For reference, I am 5'10" and about 150 lbs - when I'm not uber-pregnant like now!).

I have had great customer service from Insulet - from the CS on the phone to the local reps. While preparing for delivery, our local rep trained my husband on using the system, gave us great tips and keeps in touch in case we have any concerns.

I'm not going to say that every day is peaches and roses. I have not had issues with the pod failing at random times, but I have had my share of priming errors. Once I was on the road and knew I was going to have to change the pod. I brought a spare, but not a second back up. Of course, I had a priming error and that spare pod was unusable. It was aggravating to have to leave early and drive the 3 hours back home to get a new pod. (I stopped and tested every hour and took very small correction boluses manually, so my bgs were fine). But now I know better. I know how to pack so that if I have an issue, it doesn't turn into a problem (if that makes sense).

Good luck with your decision!

I wear an Animas Ping and I love it. I chose it primarily because they are slated to combine with the Dexcom CGM in the near (hopefully) future, and I really wanted the Dexcom. I have used MiniMed back in the day (it was a MM 508-old school, I know) but it was pretty good too. I don't think the differences between the two main tubed pumps are so substantial that if you got one over the other you'd be really annoyed. Mostly it's a matter of preferences. If you're thinking about eventually getting a CGM, however, I would seriously do some research as the MM CGM system is a lot different than the Dexcom. I know if you're interested in the Omni Pod they'll send you a trial pod (with no insulin) to wear to see how you like it. Other than that, you might want to check with your insurance co. to see if they cover one more than the another, and take that into consideration as well. When it comes to "concealing" it, I don't really bother. The tubing and cannula are normally under my shirt (unless I've got my cannula in my arm), and the pump itself just clips on my belt like a cell phone or pager. It doesn't get in the way, usually, and no one really notices it. Good luck choosing one!

Omnipod:

The tubeless design is top of the "like" list. It's completely waterproof. Easy to set up and use. Once it's on, I pretty much forget about it until I have to change pods 3 days later. Ut's durable and will remain functional under some pretty extreme conditions. If your body can tolerate what you are doing, the chances are pretty good that the pod can too.

Top of the "don't like" list would be the 10% failure rate. If a pod malfunctions, you will lose insulin. It's very wasteful in general. I always have leftover insulin that has to be trashed along with the dead pod every 3 days. You will generate a lot of trash.

The PDM is easy to use and has it's own BG meter, but it's big and bulky. If you have to carry it around, it takes up a lot of extra space. You can leave it home for short trips, but you'll end up carrying around most of the time.

I "wear" a MM 522.I wear it on my waistband with pants,jeans and skirts, but if I really want to looksmashing in a tight shirt or always in a dress, I sneak it in my ( yes it is) padded bra. The pump will be in a baby sock and pinned inside the bra for really glamorous low cut dresses. I clip it to the side of the bra when I have on a button down shirt.
I will slide the pump out to bolus in public or in private. I have learned to judge the situation and my companions at the time. With Close friends and family, I just slide it out.. In formal situations or with people I do not know well,, I may excuse myself to the restroom. If I am at the shopping mall food court by myself, I have no problem geting my pump from the bra. Just slide it out, put it in my lap, test glucose,and bolus.Nothing is exposed. I have never tried the remote, and that leg garter pump holder is too small for my thighs. Hope this is not TMI, but I know how we,as women, want to know what is what, fashionwise.

Never tried the OMNIPOD . Too immovable, big and egg-like, for my tastes.

God Bless,
Brunetta

My son has worn Omnipod since 5 months after dx (20 months), we have been very happy with it. I researched a lot. Read what others liked about their pumps too. Watched insertion videos. Went to company sites, then we had a diabetes expo and we got to handle different ones. It really came down to features and personal preferences, my son had never liked shots in his abdomen, so Omnipod ease of putting it in alternate places was the biggest selling point. Others include tubeless in the sense of it catching on stuff (plays with 5 year old brother). Don't have to disconnect for swimming and showers, withstands the boogie boarding in the Ocean. Meter built-in, new strips take minuscule drop. Size doesn't bother him. Rotates upper-arms, top of the thighs and flank (along with his Dexcom sensor) when his backpack isn't a concern. Future cgm integration. Pod Changes are fast and easy once you've done it a few times. Like the auto-insert, he's never dreaded changing it out and leaves barely a mark that disappears by the next change. No problem with customer service, not many pod failures for us but they will replace and have always pleasant and helpful. Best of Luck. Emily

I have been looking for a document that I sent several friends who I convinced to become pumpers, but can't find it. I created it the Spring of 2010, right after I got the Animas Ping.

I have been using a pump since Jan 1, 2000.

I started with a MiniMed 508 and then had a Paradigm 511. One pump died and they replaced it overnight. No customer service problems with MiniMed except for them mis-billing me $475 automatically from my debit card and it took me three weeks of trying to get it through their billing dept Mgr in Los Angeles that they made a mistake. I finally asked a friend who was their District Sales Mgr to intervene, and he got it corrected.

After that problem, I looked at alternatives and ended up with the Deltec Cozmo pump which was near perfection for me! I gushed about it non-stop. They had so many features that I loved like a reminder to take a bolus for each of the three main meals, and if you did, it wouldn't beep at you like a dumb timer you quickly begin to ignore. I am 6'4" 230# so I take 140U of insulin daily. The Cozmo held 300U, which worked perfectly for me. And customer service was stunning! I work in call center technologies and managed large customer service centers over the years, so have an expectation of good service. Deltec never ceased to amaze me with their excellent customer service staff! But sadly Smiths Medical decided to pull out of the insulin pump market, leaving me with no replacement path.

Given the lack of a replacement should I need it, I got an Animas Ping pump in Jan 2010. I gave the Ping many chances, but absolutely hate this pump in so many ways! After four months of wanting to throw the pump at a brick wall, I wrote a document comparing the Ping to the Cozmo for my friends. That's the document I am looking for. Essentially I have been telling my friends to skip even looking at an Animas and compare all the rest instead. I have had nothing but extremely poor customer service from Animas; e.g., I ordered infusion sets 19 days ago and have not received a single notification of where my order is. I called yesterday (they were closed) and left a voice mail, halfway through the following day, still no call back. I am comparing other models right now, planning to dump the Ping next Jan when my insurer will cover a new pump. I sure hope that I can find the comparison document, if I do, I will upload it here. What do I like about the Ping? Color screen that my previous pumps didn't have. There is not one other positive that I can think of.

My advice is to do your homework and don't take one or two people's advice before jumping. Good luck with your endeavor and I sincerely hope that it works out well for you!

I have used an elastic headband as a garter replacement and just clip the pump to it... It has worked well for me even at my wedding.

I'm so glad you asked this because I'm switching from a Medtronic Paradigm to an Omnipod and I love hearing that people like it. :)

I am on the mm 723. I have nothing to compare it to, since being new to pumping. However, it is great for keeping control, with the bolus wizard, small basal increments. Downsize is that it takes getting used to being tethered all the time, especially when sleeping.

I'd echo all of MyBustedPancreas' comments (above). It is a fine device that has greatly contributed to my ability to lower my A1C. That has been a real challenge because nerve damage to my digestive system had made insulin injections nearly useless.

I'll also vouch for their customer service. I had a problem with a pump and from the time I spoke to them I had a new pump in my hands in less than 17 hours.

CONS:
Be careful not to drop it. The case is prone to cracking and "spider-webbing" following impact.

Unlike others who complain about the alarms, I cannot hear mine. Minimed makes a device called "My Sentry" designed for children so that their parents can be informed about alarms at night. I could use something like that owever I am trying to find an alternative that osts less than the MSRP of $3,000. (My health care program (the VA) won't touch it - probably for years.)

I've used both the short and the long infusion sets. At first I thought that the short would be the way to go - less hose to monkey with. After a couple of years with the longer version I find it is more convenient and tucking in an extra couple of inches is not noticed.

Bottom line: if the pump is at all suitable for your needs, I'd recommend the Minimed Revel without hesitation or reservation.

Tom,
There's an alarm clock with a microphone that can pick up and amplify your pump alerts. It also has a bed shaker alert. This works well for the Dexcom receiver alerts but I don't know if it will work well with your pump being being muffled under the bed covers. If not hearing your pump at night is really a problem it might be worth using using an extension cord to bring the microphone closer to your pump. If interested take a look :

"Just go to Amazon and order the Sonic Alert SB1000ss for 60 bucks and the Sonic Alert Baby Cry signaler for 43 bucks. That is all that you need. It comes with a bed shaker and alarm. You can use one or the other or both. The alarm can be set to different tones and loudness. It is very loud.

That is a godsend. I'll have one set up as soon as I get my CGM hooked up. I cannot begin to than you enough!!!