Wine to lower bg?

It may sound stupid question but have anyone ever drink dry wine to lower blood sugar? I practice low carb but try to be vegetarian as I feel better (I try to listen to my body and realize that animal protein including egg dairy products make my body more tired). I maintain good A1C as well (5.1). BMI is 17.9.

However my bs is like this: I eat 45g carb (mostly fiber), then my bs goes up 1hr 90mg, 2hr 120mg then 3hr 115mg. My peak is definitely late and it stays about 100mg-90mg like 6 hrs later from last meal. It really takes long time to drop. Walking temporarily drop my bs but it goes up again. Then my fasting is getting higher like 90-100mg/dl. When my fasting is higher than my ideal (below 85mg/dl), I take a glass of dry wine then my bs drops.

It may sounds good but I am not too sure if it's healthy approach to drop bs. In regard to pancreatic function, I thought it's better to avoid alcohol, am I not right?

Obviously I don't have enough insulin secretion or delayed secretion but I want to preserve my pancreas health as long as possible without medication. So short term, glass of wine may be fine to drop bs but is it really health thing to continue in long term?

Does anyone have advice?

Well now wait till we get started on this discussion. To be honest it sounds like a lovely idea and most docs I know say one glass of wine isn't going to kill you. It would need to be very nice wine though. I couldn't see myself explaining to family that " I'm just lowering my bg ". I have read that people who take the odd drink are far healthier than those who abstain completely.

I like wine with dinner. Yes, whites or a good French rose (not the horrible white zinfindal stuff) tend to lower blood glucose levels. That is one of the reasons diabetics are warned away from drinking--if you smell like alcohol and have a low glucose level, it could create an iffy situation.

I have never heard that wine affects pancreatic health, but that may be true; I don't know.

Chablis

The reason that alcohol causes a blood sugar drop is that it occupies your liver metabolizing the alcohol. During that time, your liver is too busy to dump blood sugar. So having a drink will fasting can drop you blood sugar. But during dinner? I don't think it has as much effect. Your blood sugar rise is due to food, not glucose from your liver.

If you really want to improve your blood sugar response at meals, you might consider vinegar which has been shown to reduce blood sugar surges.

ps. I enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner, but not because it drops my blood sugar, because I enjoy it and find it relaxing.

pps. An A1c of 5.1 and a "spike" of 120 mg/dl with 45 g of carbs. You realize that many here would kill to have that problem. If I smell a potato chip my blood sugar would be that high.

Thanks all for the reply, I haven't tried Chablis but I've heard that is pretty good. (for lowering blood sugar)

and Brian thank you for the liver dump explanation.

When I said 45g carb, most of them are fiber. my sugar dairy intake is less than 15g in total. (not pure sugar but entire sugar counted all veggies, etc). potato will give me +200.

Too much wine really makes my blood sugar plummet. As a result, I don't drink too much at one time anymore. But if a glass of wine keeps your blood sugar a little lower, I don't see the harm. A glass a day doesn't sound like it would impact liver or kidney function.

Considering your BS is so low (compared to most diabetics), aren't you afraid of hypoglycemia when drinking?

I think a glass of wine is a lovely thing what ever the reason. I drink a glass or two with dinner but don't find it does anything to affect my blood sugar. On the rare occasion I go out and drink more I do have to watch not to go low hours and hours later.

No, I don't think a glass of wine is bad for your health. What can be bad for your health is stressing about blood sugars of 100 which many of us would kill to see on a regular basis! Your blood sugars are near perfect. Relax! Have a glass of wine!

Real French chablis or the junk they sell in the US as Chablis? HUGE difference.....

Thanks again ... Megan, my concern is health of my organ. I want to give them enough rest to work (digest) properly. I think it's always important to listen to your body (not your brain) and it is really tough

Hi Lots. You might try a good dry white wine, maybe a Chard or Pinot Grigio. I have a headache problem with reds, too, except for one red mixed: Shiraz Cabernet. Cheers!

I didn't even know they sold junk Chablis, this should be brought before the UN as a crime against humanity.

It's no secret that alcohol consumption lowers bg. The problem is, unfortunately, that it's only temporary. In the mean time, it messes up your normal metabolism. Personally, I feel that we type twos should focus more on lowering insulin resistance through exercise and careful supplementation. We should also focus on reducing our insulin needs by modifying our diets. "Practical Paleo" by Diane Sanfilippo illustrates a tasty way to do just that. Finally, we should focus on foods and supplements that nourish the body and rebuild damaged tissues, like the beta cells. By accomplishing all of those things, you should never have to take medication. I did for a couple of years, but things were going downhill. After doing several years of research into alternatives to conventional medicine (doctors), I learned that with some tweaking of the diet and walking a few miles each day, I can manage good numbers without medication.

Hi Yum. I grew up with an alcoholic parent, so I worry that you may end up believing that you need alcohol to cope with your preD. While I’m not against a glass of wine, when you start becoming emotionally dependent on it you’ve got a problem.

If you have to choose between medicating yourself with wine or metformin I’d say go for the metformin. It’s safer in the long run.

Good point. That is my concern too. I used to drink a lot. Now I don't have enough energy to drink more than a couple of glasses.

I manage my blood sugar pretty well with low carb diet in general so I will keep drinking in a couple of times in a week for now.

Mr. Peachy, you have stated my concern very well. Long term health is my concern. I somehow doubt I have insulin resistance but insulin deficiency but I totally agree with your comment in general. With malfunctioning pancreas, I want to keep its health as long as possible.

I drink quite a bit of wine when I'm not working-- probably more than I should. I do notice that my fasting levels are consistently lower when I'm at home than when I am at work-- which may be caused by several things; stress, keeping normal hours, etc... but I'm convinced wine also is a factor. At work I'll often wake up at 120+. At home if I've had more than two glasses of wine the night before, rarely over 90.

On consecutive nights recently I had 2 glasses wine. I went to bed with blood sugars in a good range. Both nights I woke up after midnight, tested, and was low both times! I thought it might be the wine since I haven't experienced nighttime lows for quite awhile now. But yesterday I didn't drink, and still went low last night.

I think that drinking, whatever one's poison, cuts off some DP. My problem is it also cranks up the munchies which presents a different challenge!