Wondering if anyone has had numerous unexplainable lows

For the past 2 weeks I have been having a had time with me sugars. Not sure why but I've been going low numerous times a day, every day for about 2 weeks. Lows in the 40's and 50's. Waking up in the middle of the night because I'm low also. Last Sunday I went all day without taking insulin because I was going low all day, even ate a cupcake without taking insulin and 2 hours later I was only 102. I haven't switched to a new insulin or changed dosage, haven't changed my diet, still getting the same amount of exercise. I just can't figure out why I keep going low and it's getting really annoying. I hate when my sugars are out of whack, it just makes me feel like crap. If anyone has any advice of has experienced this themselves, please give me a little insight to what it could be. I greatly appreciate any comments. Thanks so much!

Unexplained lows are the story of my life. I got a CGM finally. Now I can react to them even when I can't explain them.

Sometimes I see my pump tell me I'm 55 mg /dl and I say " this damn thing must be wrong! I JUST ATE!" and sure enough it is usually right.

Also are you newly diagnosed> because you could be experiencing a honeymoon period,

Msnda I wish I had a nickel for every time that has happened to me in the past 15 years. I am going through that right now as well. COuld not get a BG above 100. Finally got there today...wheww!

No, im not newly diagnosed. I was actually diagnoed when I was 13, this year will be 15 years! Ive just never had this happen. Ive had lows, even went into a seizure because of a low, but its never been constant every day multiple times a day like this. Its really starting to bother me, not to mention worry the crap out of me because I dont know what is going on. =/

You should ask your doctor to check your C Peptide, It will tell you how much insulin your body makes.
My first year was crazy , and did not settle down until my CPeptide was pretty close to zero.

I have heard stories of peoples pancreas begin producing some insulin after years of nothing. There is even some talk about how vaccines can cause this to occur.

It might be worth getting the test so you will know.

Tim,

may sound ignorant, but what is a CGM?

Continuous Glucose Monitor

much appreciated.

I tend to get "clusters" of both highs and lows. Sometimes I can track an explanation; sometimes I can't, which doesn't mean there isn't one. I think the best thing to do, if you have problem-solved the major possible causes (which it sounds like you have) is just act accordingly. I see you are on shots, which makes it harder, but you can still lower your basal if you are having lows on waking, during the night and between meals. You can also change your I:C ratios so you are taking less insulin for meals, at least until this change passes (if it does).

I agree with Zoe. I went through a spell of frequent and severe lows a while back. My nature is to want to know why but I couldn't find a reason. My endo is more of the "for whatever reason, you may never know, so just adjust the insulin" mindset.

I would play with your basal and I:C ratios as Zoe suggested. I ended up having to cut my Lantus way back during that period of time. Then when I thought I had it set, I started going back the other direction with highs. Had to bump it back up a little.

As smileandnod and Zoe have suggested you should start adjusting your insulin regime. I wouldn't focus on why it's happening. By the time you figure it out, something is likely to change again. But I would cut my basal overnight until you aren't having to deal with regular overnight lows.

Good Luck,

Maurie

Yep, many of them. Well, they used to be more frequent before, but now I have a much better understanding of what foods will do what and how they will play with the insulin. Unexplainable lows still happen though, which goes to show you there really is no perfect way to treat this disease.

Ugh! Its so annoying sometimes! This week has been better, not going low every couple hours but ive had a few highs. Just really frustrating!!

Do you find that it is related to any other hormone changes in your body?

I think that is what is happening with me....the hormones are changing as I approach 30 (!!!) and throwing things off. Hard part is, you can't be sure without lots of blood tests. I've got an appointment in 2 weeks, so maybe can figure it out then. I don't have as many extreme lows as you seem to (had my first 36 only a couple weeks ago) but I'm considering a CGM too.

Good luck to you!