Wordage

Yes, we have well established medical knowledge, but we also have “interpretations” by so called healthcare professionals. Unfortunately, some of those interpretations border on “alternative facts.” Here is what we know from the Diabetes Prevention Program after 15 years:

At year 15, the cumulative incidences of diabetes were 55% in the lifestyle group, 56% in the metformin group, and 62% in the placebo group.

I have written about this before. These were pre-diabetic patients. The majority of patients still progressed to full-blown diabetes and the differences between “lifestyle” and doing nothing was minuscule. The Number Needed to Treat (NNT) was 14. An NNT over 10 suggests that the intervention has a high placebo effect, a low cure rate, goes away by itself or actually sabotages the cure. All berry, berry bad things. The Intervention does not help which is a huge red flag that T2 is not caused by lifestyle. And association is not the same as “cause.” It is more plausible that insulin resistance is the cause of T2 diabetes.

Don’t get me wrong. I strongly believe that you can manage your diabetes by restricting carbs and keeping your blood sugars normalized. I just don’t believe that lifestyle and being overweight “causes” diabetes. That is a “wrong” interpretation of the medical knowledge and is harmful in just so many ways.

1 Like