Would you be happy with an A1C of 6.3?

I should be happy, 3 months ago I was 10.5 but a few Years ago on pills alone I was (5.8). I guess I just figure now that I am taking insulin, pills and eating almost no carbs or anything good, I would like it to be better.

You should be very happy with a 6.3 at this stage. That's a 4 Point drop and is pretty impressive. A1C is sorta like an average of the past 3 or 4 months. I'm sure that you did not drop suddenly so some of the higher reads are still part of the equation. If you keep up the good work the next might be even better.

And besides 6.3 is by it's self pretty good. Some people can never achieve a number that low no matter how hard they struggle.

So yeah I would be happy with a 6.3 but I would not let that stop me from trying to do even better.

Gary S

Uh, heck yeah!!! That's great. Nice job.

YEP!! Would be so happy exp if it had dropped from a 10.5 although it went up a little from that 5.8 I don't think I would worry that much about it too much.

Well, I think It All Depends
- For the Average It's Very Good
-For others that feel having Non D Levels is the only answer, 4.5-5% A1c's and of course, avoidng having very many hypo's..
-You can Get Dr. Bernstein's Book, Diabetes Solutions and Ck out his WebSite as well

But hving all but very Little Carbs is doubtfull to maintain for the Long Term..
Having a Good I;CR and Being as Accurate as Possible in couting your Total Carbs is Key..

http://chriskresser.com/when-your-%E2%80%9Cnormal%E2%80%9D-blood-sugar-isn%E2%80%99t-normal-part-2

Sine they won't let me post the link

Let’s take a look again at what the ADA thinks is “normal” blood sugar:

Marker Normal Pre-diabetes Diabetes
Fasting blood glucose (mg/dL) <99 100-125 >126
OGGT / post-meal (mg/dL after 2 hours) <140 140-199 >200
Hemoglobin A1c (%) <6 6-6.4 >6.4

But as we’ve seen in this article, these levels are only normal if you think increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer and other serious complications is normal. Just because these conditions are common, doesn’t mean they’re normal.

If you’re interested in health and longevity – instead of just slowing the onset of serious disease by a few years – you’d be well advised to shoot for these targets instead:

Marker Ideal
Fasting blood glucose (mg/dL) <86* OGGT / post-meal (mg/dL after 2 hours) <120 Hemoglobin A1c (%) <5.3 *If you’re following a low-carb diet, fasting blood sugars in the 90s and even low 100s may not be a problem, provided your A1c and post-meal blood sugars are within the normal range. Another key takeaway from this article is that fasting blood glucose and A1 are not very reliable for predicting diabetes or CVD risk. Post-meal blood sugars are by far the most accurate marker for this purpose. And the good news is that this can be done cheaply, safely and conveniently at home, without a doctor’s order and without subjecting yourself to the brutality of an OGTT.

Yes. I have an A1c of 6.2 and am very happy. Anyone who says you have to be in the fives to be happy has not spent a lot of time in the 7s and 8s. Good job. ;-)

While the A1C is a good marker, take into consideration other health markers. Are you exercising regularly, getting good sleep, avoiding stress, etc? All of these things should help you maintain good health, along with good diabetes care.

I feel that way too. I have seriously whacked the carbs and take my pills, exercise and can't control my bs. Off to the dr. on Monday.

I think type 2s often beat themselves up because people always treat us like we're fat and lazy and that's why we have this. We actually start to believe it.

Well, my A1c was in the 5's pretty consistently in the early years of my diabetes, and I was able to eat pretty much anything I wanted, as long as I took my insulin, but didn't even have to be all that precise about dose.But my pancreatic function has clearly deteriorated, and between last June and October, when I tried REALLY hard, I managed a 5.8, but what with the holidays, and some depression and lack of self-control, my last one was 6.3. I can no longer tolerate much at all of carbs, and I have to make sure I take enough insulin, because my body is providing little to none for food at this time, so there is less room for error.

So what I'm trying to say is that change is the name of the game, and no matter how hard you try, it's NOT going to get easier. So you have to do the best you can within the limits of your own metabolism. Some people need to have a break from time to time and eat some foods they enjoy, in spite of the risk of elevated BGs, and others have a will of iron. It all depends on your level of comfort, and what will keep you sane! :-) A 6.3 is NOT so bad, and the risk of complications is only slightly elevated over that of a non-diabetic. It's when you consistently get into the 7's and 8's and above that it becomes a problem.

So you need to set your goals where you can be comfortable with your lifestyle, not feel overly deprived, but also feel like you are taking as best care of yourself as you can. Good luck! :-)

Nicely stated Natalie! Thanks..

mine use to be 7. now its only at 6.5 since i am taking care with what i eat now i want it to come down more

This makes me sad... but because I can relate.
Hugs... I am struggling right now too and driving myself insane!
**sigh** and good luck!

The a1c that runs at that is successfully stopping the rot is not necessarily for everyone.

For me, once average BG dropped to 155 ( 6.9 a1c) the kidenys stabalized, the excess waqter dropped, the hemorages on eyes dropped etc. I got off excess insulin, dropped the actos and booted the glyburide/starlix.

Getting to sub 6.0 will be dependent upon how well the liver and its fifo operation is working correctly - adding glucose when sub 100 and sbub 70.

If liver can be trusted to do the glucose add operations without adding the full pail, then by goodness, one can go lower on the low glycemic diet and move to lower average BG and a1c.

So far all data is showing that getting average BG to 140 and below stops the rot.

In my case, my doctor had me stop my bg going sub 100 (70) and triggering the liver glucose add operations as it would NOT refrain from adding full pail ( a1c ends up ay 13.3 and all the attendent rot issues)

Data from hospitals, my doctor et all suggest that healing, lower deaths etc happen when average BG is between 140 and 180 and when they try to maintain the "young" regular properly operating body BG numbers; deaths go up and it takes longer to heal.

As usual here in the "dam the torpedo's land and full speed ahead" always seraching for the one unified field theory solution and single silver bullit that kills vampires we end up missing the better overall balanced answer and why settling one answer does not help all.

still an excellent number don't beat yourself up to badly there is always another chance for improvement

Aimee, just remember that every person is different, and the A1c is only ONE indicator of how you're doing with your diabetes control. If you know you're eating well, and exercising to the best of your ability, and you're testing, and correcting in whatever way you do it, and you feel good, then I'd say you're doing a good job, regardless of what the A1c says.

If 7.0 is where you tend to gravitate, so be it. Just do your best and don't stress. OK? :-)

In over 20 years of Type 1 I've never had an A1c as low as 6.3%, and have only ever had two of 6.5% or below. And it hasn't been for lack of trying.

I would be very happy with a 6.3% A1c. That's great.

Aimee...
Do you mind sharing what some of the things you are doing to try and get your morning BS lower? I am having the same issue and all my Dr continues to do is want to throw medication at me. It is driving me crazy! Currently I am taking Victoza 1.2 and 500mg Met in the morning and evening. My last A1C was 6.7 A year earlier it had been 5.8 which was right before my diagnosis of Thyroid disease. Since then its been in the crapper. Dr. does say that a high morning BS is a sign of whats going on during the prior day however, my BS readings during the day are great and I eat lower carb and practice yoga.
CONFUSING.
xoxoxo

It is a shame the lack of consistent knwoledge and understanding of the body and type 2 diabetes.

Certainly high morning glucose can be a result of yesterday's meals and last night snacks and delayed digestion.

Bur not always, the liver and its response/lack of response to early moning hormones and the wake up dawn wffect can effect morning BG dramatically as well.

In my case, until I got liver stopped in its tracks with metformin, morning bg was 238 to 248 every dam day. No snacks after dinner at 5:30 pm day before and carefull carbs control eating. Midnight would be 100 and at 3:00 am was 150 and 238 by 6:00 am.

SOmetimes this is a result of low insulin levels and basil insulin in blood at late night and sometimes only metformin at 10:00 pm and 1200 am midnight - for me 500 mg dose at each time - one large dose useless. COntrary to all the pill jockey experts. That approach for me shut down the excess glucose so that midnight number of 130 was 130 at 6:00 am wakeup.

One has to monitor every hour thru midnight 12:00 am to 6:00 am using caveman fingerprick machine to watch liver and monkey shines or by CGMS.

Present midieval/stone age data collection one shot lab tests one a day are usless and unrevealing as Dr McCoy of Startrek 23 third century time might be inclined to say.

Until we put loaner analysis pack that can collect real time data on 24/7 basis on a complex multi organ -multi hormone system, much of what is being done is still experience , guess and by golly and the wand of merlin, incantations etc. There is much more light that needs to be shed on the darkness to get all the claptrap and goof ball theories and misleading idea out of the loop.

Jim... how many nights/weeks do you think it takes before you see a pattern as to what is going on with your BS overnight?
I am ready to kick it DB in its ugly face with my morning highs. I hover anywhere from 119-140 first thing in the morning.
Interesting what you said about figuring it out on your own. My Dr wasn't sure about when was a good time of day for the Metformin and suggested split breakfast/dinner so I wouldn't forget it. I did take it one night together and my BS was HIGHER than usual. Its all a mystery isn't it. I am going to start the testing and tracking and figuring it out on my own (and with help of all you knowledgeable people here)