Ya Sure Yabetcha Cheesecake

My Mom was an original contributor to the first Betty Crocker Cookbook back in the 50s. She traded recipes back and forth and at 89 can’t remember the source on this one or who she developed it with. She can’t do much in the kitchen any more and so each time I go back to Minnesota to care for her I adapt one or two of her old recipes so that I can enjoy them with her. This one was a major success.

Recipe called for a ring mold, but I couldn’t find Mom’s so I used her large pie plate—one of those that’s a little deeper and has a fluted edge----this makes a big cheesecake! Greased it well with butter.

Gerri’s crust: Stir up 2 cups finely ground pecans or almonds or walnuts–I used pecans-- and 5 TBSP melted butter. Press into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10” at 350. Keep an eye on it as it can burn all of a sudden.

Ingredients:
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese—best to soften first!
Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar—I used Splenda
3 TBSP almond flour (or other nut flour, I’m sure)
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 TBSP vanilla (I tossed in extra as I’m a vanilla freak!)
Fresh berries for top, or other sweet treat. Raspberries were great.

With electric mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar and flour, adding eggs one at a time. It will be stiff at first but “Perseverance furthers and the superior woman triumphs” (that’s the I Ching–hah!). Blend in sour cream and vanilla. Pour over crust. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 250. Continue baking for 1 hour. I think it took just a few minutes longer. Let settle and cool a bit. Chill in the fridge. Add fresh berries before serving. If it’s not rich enough for you—hah!—I’m sure it would be great with a dollop of sour cream or whip cream on top, too! Makes a whole bunch of servings! I actually figured out the very negligible carbs, but can’t find the #s. It’s very, very few. Sorry about that.

Thanks Judith…might die from a major gall bladder attack, but who cares…this cheese cake sounds divine…the type to die for actually!!! Will be SUPERB with raspberries…I’m in! Doing this one for father’s day…thanks again, I’m certain to get rave reviews!

1 Like

How much Splenda did you use in this Judith? I love to cook, and I am new to diabetes. I have been craving a cheesecake, so I am quite excited about this! Thanks

I’m going to have to try this! I am a cheesecake freak and was afraid I’d never be able to have more than a sliver again in my life.

Hello Judith,

Do you think the cheesecake would come out fine if I didn’t add the crust and make it a crustless cheesecake?

1 Like

Judith,

How about posting your pound cake recipe! ;->

Jeff

1 Like

Ooooo…if you could actually find one of those I’d be in heaven :smiley:

I am going to try this recipe this weekend and will report back on the results.

I love cheesecake and I am continually craving sweets!!!

Richard

I like Splenda, but when I've used it in a cheesecake, it does have a different flavor. Has anyone tried using mostly Splenda, but just a little sugar too? Does it hide the Splenda taste?