2018 JDRF Revenue and Expenses Overview

JDRF released their 2018 audited financial statements last week. Key takeaways are detailed in the bullets below.

• JDRF is an extremely effective fundraising organization. It raised $227 million in 2018. See Appendix A.

• Nearly all of JDRF’s money comes from fundraising.

• JDRF spent (expenses) $208 million in 2018, up from $193 million in 2017. See Appendix B.

• 37% of JDRF money spent in 2018 was used to fund research grants. The other 63% was used for non-grant expenses such as public education, lobbying, meetings, and salaries.

• 67% of money spent in 2008 was used to fund research grants, while only 33% was used for non-grant expenses.

• $156 million was spent on research grants in 2008, compared to only $84 million in 2018— a remarkable decline of nearly 50%.

• All non-research costs have increased (with the exception of office rent) in recent years. See Appendix C.

• Payroll and Related expenses have increased by $31.2 million since 2008, up 62%.
    • Public Education expenses have increased by $20 million since 2008, up 55%.
  • JDRF has never explained nor justified the rationale behind the strategic shift that resulted in a 50% reduction in research spending levels over the past decade.

Appendix A: Sources of Income

Appendix B: JDRF Uses of Income (Expenses)

Appendix C: 2008 vs. 2018 Annual Spending Change (In Millions)

So we’re all clear, I am not the author of this report. This report comes from a JDRF watchdog group called JDCA, Juvenile Diabetes Cure Alliance

I feel it’s important to get JDCA’s findings and analysis out to the people who actively participate in fundraisers for JDRF. I’m not suggesting anyone turn against JDRF, nor am I criticizing. Every non-profit should be subject to oversight. Transparency is essential to forge trust.

I have raised a lot of donation money individually for JDRF. Each time I participated in a big fundraiser, I believed the funds I handed over were going directly to research to find a cure which I might benefit from during my lifetime. Unfortunately this has not been the case, but if people aren’t aware, they have no reason to demand that it change.

2 Likes

Thank you for keeping this important issue on our radar. I hope JDRF see’s this and responds.