3rd nerve damage

Hi-I've been type 2 for 10 years. And have had my third episode of double vision. The first time was 6 years ago and it was only an issue of temporary double vision when looking up and down. It was like my eye was delayed in re-focusing. Last year same thing happened, only lasted a few days. One month ago...it happened again and didn't go away. I've been experiencing double vision continuosly. Went to the neuro-opthamologist and he told me it was damage to the 3rd cranial nerve and that it could take up to 3 months to go away.

Has anyone experienced this, and has anyone had it happen again, and does it get worse?

I have experienced this, but I never asked my opthomologist about it. Sorry. Wish I cuold help.

I have had the double vision ( diplopia)on and off , for about 7 years. It has never been continuous. though I have had it for as long as 3 days… Most recent long-term double vision episode was June of 2010: Lasted 3 days…

I went to a neuro-opthamologist in 2008, again in 2009, no definitive results… He did not think I had 3rd cranial nerve palsy, which I postulated to him… He also checked me, through blood work, for MS.( occasionally diplopia is a symptom). That also ruled out at the time. My neurologist and pain management doctor have recently suggested a brain and lumbar spine MRI for a more definitve look at possible MS, due to the episodic vison issues and nerve pain, numbness and tingling , all of which MAY NOT be diabetes- induced(back and spine involved). I get a brain MRI at the end of this month.
I do sometimes get double vision when I am very low ( blood glucose) , but It goes away with treatment. My periods of diplopia always go away… I know not to stay on the computer for long periods of time without taking frequent 25 to 30 minute breaks; and I try to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night, It seems to occur more often when I am very tired/sleep deprived, and goes away after I get some rest…I am so sorry your diplopia has persisted. I will pray for you.

I read that third cranial nerve palsy was like Bell’s Palsy, the syndrome where one side of your face and eyelids get droopy, and one side of your lips and mouth are slow moving: My younger brorher, who was in the Navy at the time, and got excellent medical care, had it ( Bell’s Palsy)for about 31/2 months, but it did go away… Google up 3rd cranial Nerve Palsy on the Internet… U will be ok… I know how tough it is… I wear an eyepatch when I have episodic diplopia…

God Bless.
Brunetta

Thanks for replying. In a strange way it’s nice to know some one else has experienced this. I’m happy to say that a week ago the double vision went away and now I’m patch-free. It was difficult trying to drive and work with only one eye. Considering they also did tests for MS, this is pretty minor.

I know have a lovely selection of decorated eye patches. I just hope I don’t have to use them again.