4 months on Dexcom CGM. i wouldn't ever want to be without it now that i have it, but

Apparently body chemistry really does differ a lot from person to person and is why sensors last longer or shorter for different people. I simply could not get PLUS sensors to average longer than 10 days.

I've been using the G4 system since November 2012. I mostly used the side of my abdomen above my hips for sites. I started to get more and more ??? indications around the 10 day mark.

Someone here suggested trying sites on the back of the arms. I've had fewer ??? displays and have consistently experienced sensors that last 14+ days. When I went back to my old abdomen sites, the 10-day mark ??? reoccured.

So I'm using the back of my arms again. One other advantage with the back of the arms sites is that the sensor doesn't get compressed when sleeping like it does with the sites on my sides. That compression often produces an erroneous deep "V" in a BG line.

Interesting discussion as I just got my G4 and am wearing my first sensor. I'll just see how long it goes. This is very cool info. Thanks for this thread!

My first day on the G4 was yesterday. I'm really liking it so far, much better than my first CGM experience 5 years ago. How's it going for you on day 6?

For those that have said you are addicted to it....I felt like that too. It's sort of like I didn't need my phone and my dexcom and my pdm and my tablet.... Anyway, I felt like I fussed over it for sure. It bothered me. Anyone else feel this way?

I have a feeling they would not. I once slipped up and mentioned that I had the sensor on my arm (where I get far more accurate readings BTW) and I got the "it's only FDA approved for blah, blah, blah..." speech. I know its the FDA and not the rep, but I really felt like saying, "Yes, I am aware of that. There is the FDA and then there is real life." But I held my tongue. I'm sure their job is already stressful enough.

Gayle, I use my sensor for no more than 14 days and do what I call the cheat stop and start when my G4 Receiver stops the sensor. I have learned that with the Dexcom the first few days can be a wild ride with up and down reading that are 90% of the time incorrect. When I do restart my sensor, or insert a new one, I try to do it when my sugar level is stable or in the normal range. I take no insulin or eat for the two hours needed my the system. This seem to help the sensor to produce better results for some reason. It just takes time to get to know what work best when restarting or replacing the sensor.

This I can tell you for certain I have been a type 2 diabetic for over 20 years and I never had total control of my sugar using pills. In August of 2012, I had to go on insulin because my kidneys started going south and I had to stop the pills. From that point until January 2013 my sugar was still out of control. I did keep my A1C under 7%. In January 2013 I was lucky enough to get my Medicare Humana plan to pay for the Dexcom G4 CGM. Since that time using the CGM and insulin pens and sensible eating I have had total control of my sugar levels. My last A1C about a month ago was 5.2% and has never been over 5.6% since I started using the G4 CGM. I don't use a pump because I don't want the tube type and Medicare will not cover the Wireless Omnipod. However, I did make my own manual pump by using pens and I-Port Advance device that I insert the needle of the pen into. This saves a lot of hole in the belly. I do still inject my basal insulin with just the pen, but I can stand this once a day with no problem.

Gayle this I know, with dedication any diabetic using pump, pen, inhale, combined pump and CGM or whatever can gain total control of their sugar using the Dexcom G4 System. If this one tool was made available to diabetics by insurance companies and Medicare for us old folk, out of controlled sugar level would be a thing of the past. Bottom line, Medicare finally got up with me about a month ago and will no longer cover my Dexcom G4 System. They will for now pay for my sensors. I will continue to use the system and pay for the Transmitter and Receiver out of pocket.

One Very Happy Diabetic,

By the way my Endo can't believe my success with the G4 and my I-port.

Bob

Hi- I am new to this group but reading this post has raised some questions . I just filled out the paper work for the rep and dr to get insurance approval for my new a one or rather first one. Can’t wait to get it. Any advice on how long the proses takes to get approved and then get the equipment? Im very excited because I’m testing 6-12 times a day so this should cut it down a bit. Being new at this do I have to finger test when readings are on the move or do I just test before meals so I know how much insulin to use . Thanks for the help