4 year old newly diagnosed

Hi I am Wendy and we have a 4 year old that was diagnosed 9 weeks ago with type one. We feel so lucky that it was caught early before DK.
He was thristy all the time, drinking excessive amount of water and using the bathroom a lot ( which at the time I figured it wasn’t a big deal) by week three he was waking up going to the bathroom three or more times and wanted water. once he started wetting the bed ( we had never had a issue before) I just felt like something was off. I never imagined that out life was about to change that afternoon we were sent to the ER in Roanoke Va where we spent the next 6 days.

Hi @Wendy21 , Its good that you caught your sons diabetes before DKA, I have moved your post to a new topic so it will be seen by more people.

Hi Wendy

I hope your son and you are coping with the new life style that diabetes brings. It can be daunting and scary to face this challenge as a parent. (My daughter was diagnosed aged 11 almost 4 years ago…) This is a great forum to connect with others, learn and share. All the best, (another) Wendy

Hi Wendy, that’s exactly my story, but over 50 years ago!! I was 5.

You will find lots of support and help here, take your time to absorb the information. There is a lot to learn and handle, but it will get easier.

Welcome to TuDiabetes, @Wendy21. Your instinct to search out peer-support is a good one. No one knows diabetes as well as those of us who live with it 24/7. Learn all you can about type 1 diabetes and give yourself the time to do that. Just learn something new every day and it will soon add up to an incredible amount of useful knowledge.

You can do this! I know of few forces in the world stronger than a parent’s love for their child. Good luck to you and your son!

Your son’s diagnosis is 100% identical to my daughter’s 2 years ago earlier this month. She is now 8 and doing amazing. This forum was a lifesaver for me and my wife. Emma is on a pump and uses the dexcom G5. Truly amazing technology. There is a lot to learn about Type 1 and it is important to know that you are not alone in this. Our community here is kind , considerate, knowledgeable and forth coming when it comes to giving advice. Best of luck with everything and don’t be afraid to ask for help, vent and share any concerns. Take care.

Welcome to the forum Wendy. A long time ago I was the 5 year old your son now is.

His future is bright with loads of newer drugs, pumps, technology like meters and CGM’s, and best of all a group of like minded folks who are all willing to reach out with answers to what might seem like basic questions.
Jim