6 year old daughter sick, Insulin not working

@ndidinwosu thank you very much… today shes already feeling a lot better, I think we have officially passed through the worse…

thank you again.

3 Likes

Did you try to use a new vial? It’s rare but it happened once to me, the insulin was not working and for some reason was not good. It spoiled I guess. When I used a brand new one, my sugars came down. I hope your daughter feels better soon. I’m sorry.

Hi, I’m the type 1 in our family. But I got it at age 11 in 1990. Back then I used R and NPH via syringe. The ill protocol with MDI is to check at least every 2 hours and correct via sliding scale, plus regularly dosing for meals. Basically it was taking a unit or two every couple of hours. (Whatever the hourly need is for correction.)

If on a pump, a temp basal increase works great. She might still run a bit higher.

This is a completely normal thing. The body actually creates its own glucose when you are sick by breaking down fats/proteins to help fuel the hard working white cells who are working hard to stop the virus or bacterial infection. It is worrisome, but completely normal.

@laceyma @J1112 thanks for the feedback shes gotten passed the bug.

1 Like

It is the best pediatric sick day rules. that also applies to adults, I’ve come across. It has a simple chart to follow. As well as very detailed information for those that want to understand more.

It’s a lot better getting your head around it before you need it. Than trying to work it out at 3 am, with a head in a bucket and heaving.

2 Likes