630G vs. 670G

Does anyone have any comparisons (personal, not from the company site!) between the Medtronic 630G and the 670G? I’m up for a new pump this month and, since I have a backup supply of infusion sets and reservoirs, I’d like to stick with Medtronic. I’m on Medicare, so they may not even approve me for the 670, but am curious as to the difference. Also, I’m not getting the CGM at this point, if that matters.

Thanks for any input.

Ruth

lf you want to chance using auto-mode, you’ll need the 670. I’ve got the 670 (Medicare provides that one, refurbed) but do not and never will do, Auto-Mode.

Ruth,

I have used both and can speak to some degree about the difference. If you are not intending to get the CGM the 630G is far more appropriate. The differences between the two generally revolve around the use of the pump in a standard pump like fashion. The 670g on the other hand is designed to be placed in auto (self adjusting) mode.

The two pumps weigh the same (more than the 530g because of battery size). Both are vertical pumps, and both are color.

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things about Medtronic devices or the company. In fact, they do not pay me at all. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

2 Likes

I agree with Rphil. If you arn’t willing to go with the CGM and auto mode, there isn’t much difference between the two. I only upgraded from the 630 to the 670 ecause I liked the extra features you get with auto mode:

The micro boluses are delivered every 5 minutes and are determined by the real time readings provided by the CGM.

The CGM provides high and low predictions and the pump responds accordingly.

I can sleep easier knowing that the pump will address my highs and lows while I am sleeping at night.

Therein lies my issue with the whole idea of a pump controlled by a CGM. I have been wearing one of the best CGM systems, the Dexcom G5. Despite my two years of high praise for its overall accuracy there are times when it is off more than 30 points, and for a substantial period of time (I’m getting more relaxed about checking it against a meter). I’d be ill-served to have my pump with it’s carefully set up basals, be offset by the interference created by a sensor that was feeding it inaccurate data, especially while I’m asleep. Now take what I know about the whole “compression” issue with CGM sensors in general (ie, not just Dexcom or just Medtronics CGM’s but the entirety of CGM’s), and take what I would fully expect from switching back to Medtronic sensors, and there’s not a whole lot going for me when it comes to my safety. I won’t bore you with copying/pasting a deluge of comments from 670 and former 670 users over the failures they encounter in auto mode, thanks to Medtronic’s CGM system. We both know there are countless pumpers who have either stopped using Auto Mode or have switched to another pump entirely. And I wouldn’t feel much better if I had an X2 and a G5 or G6. I would still have times when the sensor data is faulty and that translates to incorrect basal rates, if said sensor is controlling a pump. I would NOT sleep easier at night, knowing I’m at the mercy of near-perfection of the sensor’s data.

My nightly glucose levels tend to vary depending on the type of food I have eaten during the previous day and often run high during the night for some unknown reason. For me, I would rather have my sensor (perhaps not always totally accurate) control the infusion of insulin based on regular readings rather than a predetermined amount of insulin which could be too little or too much for the varying blood glucose levels I experience during the night.

I say what is good for you may not be good for me and vice versa.

Thanks to all of you for the information and advice. Since I’m on Medicare and do not need nor want a CGM at this time (and feel exactly like you do, Dave, about someone else controlling my pump), I’m going to try for the 630.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it. Apparently Byram, which I just switched to, is not working with Medtronic on pumps, only on the supplies. AND, they’re now telling me Medicare won’t pay for my barrier tapes, without which I cannot use the quicksets.

As one of my friends said recently, if it’s not one thing, it’s twenty others! Looks like I’ll be spending some time on the phone with Medicare this week.

Update…Medtronic contacted me automatically because my 5-year warranty date came up, and they connected me with a company called CCS Medical, which is authorized to provide Medtronic pumps through Medicare. The day I spoke to the Medtronic rep, he contacted CCS, they emailed me that they were starting the process, and they also followed up with a phone message. And I’m definitely going with the 630, since Medicare will not approve a CGM for a T2 anyway and I’d never want the auto mode.

One problem I forsee is that the new pumps don’t use the same reservoirs, which is a bummer, because I did have a good back-up supply. Ah, well.

Again, thanks for all the info and advice.

what do u mean about the reservoirs? I’ve got the 670. The Medtronic sales person said u can’t use the 1.8ml reservoirs. CCS Medical said “baloney” they provide them all the time to their patients.

Seriously? Maybe they changed that from the 630 to the 670? Or did the Medtronics rep give me incorrect info? He did say the same quicksets will work, just not the reservoirs, since they now have only one reservoir that will take a minimum of 80 units and a max of somewhere upwards of 300. Well, if I can use the same reservoirs, I’m definitely all set :slight_smile:

One other thing…he also said that the only bgm that works with the 630 is the Contour…that the 630 will no longer accept transmissions directly from other BGM’s. Same problem again…I have a backup supply. But I could enter manually for a while until I develop a small backup supply with the Contour strips. In fact, I really shouldemphasized text** get a new meter.

According to this article, Medtronics only got FDA approval for 3.0 reservoirs for 630. But technically, the 1.8s will work. I use 1.8 reservoirs in 723 (replacement) pump and works fine.

Sets, Strips & Reservoirs: The 630G will use the same infusion sets and Contour Next test strips as existing Medtronic products. This new device is approved for the 300-unit reservoirs only and not the smaller 180-unit ones (but in theory you may be able to prime the 630G longer in order to use the 1.8mL reservoirs).

1 Like

I have no insight into the approved reservoirs that can or can’t be used with a 630. However, if only the 3 ml reservoirs will work, you can always fill the 3 ml reservoir to the 1.8 ml line or whatever line you want to use.

Keep in mind that the Contour Next strip will probable not be approved under Medicare. You will have to get your Doc to fill out a special form every year to get the strips approved. Most pharmacies are aware of the procedure and will automatically send the form to your doc when the rejection is first received.

I think the question was regarding existing supply of 1.8 reservoirs, used with previous pump. They should work fine in 630 pump.

My bad. Try the 1.8 and see what happens.

That is incorrect! All Medicare/Dexcom users get by default, 150 strips per month of Contour Next strips!! Where are u getting your misinformation from?

Now that I remember, MM1 is totally correct about the 1.8 issue with the 630/670. It’s just an FDA thing, not an “actual” problem with the 1.8 not working with those models.

1 Like

I have the 630 Medtronic pump and use the 1.8 ml. reservoirs all the time. My representive told me I could and I have. My out of warranty 530 Medtronic is my spare pump should I need it and it uses 1.8 ml so I see no reason to have both kinds of reservoirs. I travel quite a bit and always have the extra pump with me.

3 Likes

[quote=“Dave44, post:15, topic:79788”]
That is incorrect! All Medicare/Dexcom users get by default, 150 strips per month of Contour Next strips!! Where are u getting your misinformation

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan and every November my renewal prescription is denied by my pharmacy (both RiteAid and Walgreens) and needs to be reapproved by my Endo using an appeal type form. The prescription also needs to be submitted under Part B and not part D in order for it to be free of a co-pay.

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG! :slight_smile: As of around Nov 2018, the way to get Contour Next strips is NO LONGER TO GET THEM FROM WALGREENS, ETC. You MUST get them from where you get your Dexcom supplies. The rules changed late last year so follow my advice if you want your strips. I and everyone else who gets dexcom G5 on Medicare, from Dexcom, gets 150 strips as a DEFAULT. Got it? Stop arguing, and just follow my advice. :slight_smile: (IT IS PART B) I dont have an advantage plan because I think the term “advantage” is a huge misnomer. I have a Medigap plan–anything that Medicare allows, UHC picks up the remaining charges. ergo nearly everything but meds is covered 100%, be it tests, doc visits, hospitalizations, DME–you name it, it is COVERED. I’ve had a 1/4 million dollar hospital bill covered 100%, and a $42K bill covered all but $17 silly dollars. BTW, I have plan “F”, the most popular plan.

Screenshot_2019-09-29%20AARP%20Medicare%20Plans%20from%20UnitedHealthCare%20-%20Claims%20Summary

I am using the Medtronic Carelink meter, not Dexcom. Apparently, strips are ordered differently.

Unfortunately, my retirement medical plan only provides an Advantage Plan.