670 upgrade

Aye, what’d you say? Just kidding. Us Canadians are notorious for saying “Aye”

1 Like

If someone is calibrating 4x/day on the 670G theyre doing it wrong and could be hurting their own numbers.

I right now am doing fine managing my blood sugars with a mealplan and activity so have not had any reason to look into other options.

That’s only what I read about it. I sure as well don’t want to pay 1300$ for an upgrade from my 630 only to find out that I can’t achieve the results that they claim, and then my 630 will be gone because the trade in is nonrefundable. I guess I should be happy with my progress. My D educator says I am doing well and I should be proud of myself. I get very frustrated that things don’t work out like I would expect.

I doubt anyone from outside of Ontario, or even most Ontarians, would know what ADP is unless they’ve had to get funding for a medical device! I know Americans look at us as crazy for having milk come in bags, but I learned in university that this isn’t a Canadian thing, but only an Eastern Canadian thing, when I met some people from BC who looked as perplexed as American visitors in the dairy aisle.

I guess milk kinda starts in a bag. Still, its odd even on a cow.

Who is saying that? Maybe July 2020, but even that seems like a stretch.

@Eric2
Is the Insulet Omnipod Dash system (FDA approved June 2018) still in limited release or is it full release now? If still in limited release than perhaps the date which @mohe0001 heard about was actually referring to a reasonable full release date for the Omnipod Dash system? Last I read from Insulet was: “We know that our current and future Podders are anxiously awaiting DASH and we are working to deliver a terrific experience for the full market release in early 2019.”

Insulet describes their next system, Horizon, as “automated insulin delivery system”. The Horizon is not yet FDA approved. Insulet has further stated:
“… our HORIZON automated insulin delivery system will be controlled by an app on the user’s own mobile phone.”

Reading further, what is interesting is that Insulet is going to allow Dash to be controlled from a smartphone. Now that is very interesting.

“… Omnipod DASH which was designed as an app on a locked down Android phone…”
" … we now plan to launch Omnipod HORIZON and future generations of Omnipod DASH with personal smartphone control."

“Now with the Breakthrough Device designation and the exciting addition of phone control, we plan to complete a fourth IDE and estimate HORIZON with phone control will be on the market in the second half of 2020.”

IDE = Investigational Device Exemption

“Paramount to our ability to deliver phone control is our commitment to cybersecurity. Just recently Omnipod DASH was the first pump to receive DTSec certification from the Diabetes Technology Society.”

(That goes without saying. That being said, it is nice they said it. lol.)

1 Like

I really hate the whole cell phone thing. One episode of low blood sugar and that thing is broken beyond repair. I do not want to learn about securing my phone, but I have an extra one that someone gave me and I can assign to only do diabetes stuff. I haven’t seen it yet. I’m hoping its not from a Chinese manufacturer. Things are getting so ugly between us and them. This will be my “play” pump. Ill have the old one on backup (and, maybe for primary use).

Original thread and article:

Ok, so let me get this crazy horse race straight…dont you think openOmni will have a good shot once the phone/Dash system is released? That seems like an open door. I feel like its time to start getting ready. Am I jumping the gun?

News that I have read so far is that Samsung phones will be used to control the Omnipod. One would imagine additional devices would be allowed but this may be the best path to get approval in place and then expand to more smartphone devices?

1 Like

Thats super helpful information. God help me if I need to learn, in depth, about more than one of these horses in the race.

Been using the 670g for about a year now. The hardware is great. This sensor works much better than the earlier one.
The software and the support could not be much worse.
Here’s what I found
When staring a new sensor I put it in the night before and wait till morning to turn on. Usually asks for initial calibration within 30 min. I take a blood sugar when inserting and another when it asks for one only calibrate if not changing rapidly.
Once calibrated in auto mode I never put a blood sugar test in if there is arrows on the screen. Due to the time lag between finger stick number and sensor readings, it will either throw off sensor or ruin it if it’s too far from the number sensor has.
Arrows I just put in whats on the screen demanding blood sugars while arrow are on screen is just poor software. Calibrate later.
If you get a blood sugar more than 20% off it won’t likely take it. If I’m stable get a bg of 140 screen shows 100 i put in 120 wait ten minutes and then put in another reading. I continue till It gets close. Otherwise I ruin the sensor and have to talk to whatever untrained support for 50 questions.
Auto mode somewhat useful, but makes such small adjustments you need to bolus often to adjust. This morning had a blood sugar of 220. I would normally take around 9 units. It suggested 1.7 units so I had to tell it i ate enough carbs to make up difference. Often in auto mode it threatens to take me out of auto mode with max delivery for 4 hours. demands a bg. typically i just reenter whats on the screen and take some insulin to adjust by entering “carbs” especially in the middle of the night. We need to get some sleep.
Maybe my experience is difference since I need relatively high doses of insulin.
The software is the biggest bogey. Looping request for calibration. Minimed now say it will replace sensor to solve. 2-3 months wait list.
I find the number of key stroke to do any thing it ridiculous. Hit bolus screen goes to bg select carbs next, but nooooo! then hit deliver bolus. Same hassle to enter bg. If you get replacement pump it won’t go in auto mode for three days. Why. Now I leave it running for three days on the night stand and enter a bolus when I go by.
The amount of times I’ve not finished a bolus for a blood sugar is now down to a couple time a week.

The people using homemade systems are faring much better I think.

If you’re have same issues never miss a chance to let the customer support people know. Maybe a blizzard of complaints will help. I asked customer service rep why it goes to bg when carbs is selected. She told me she was not allowed to comment.

In my opinion great hardware much better sensor than earlier one. Software is garbage designed to minimize medtronics liability at the cot of our longevity.