A dream crushed

Growing up in a military family i always told myself i would be joining my family in serving my country.
I dreamed from the time i was in diapers of seeing my name stiched onto a TRUE camo uniform fit for me. I always wanted to be a soldier.
At 13 when i was diagnosed with T1 i never thought it would impact my furture as much as it did.
When i was 17 i started my enlistment papers. I had talked with my parents about my recruitment and they were willing and ready to help me do whatever it took to become a soldier.
About a week after i had everything sent in my recruiter called and gave me the worst news of my life.
Because i was a diabetic they wouldn’t be able to accept me. They had nothing against me sincethe service knew my family just they couldn’t let me into boot camp with my diabetes supplies. I couldn’t have any syringes with me and i couldn’t keep my insulin on the grounds while i was in training.
they said if i could skip training i would be fine but that just wasn’t possible.

since then i have changed my future goals but just knowing that the one job i had wanted my whole life wasn’t approachable hurt not only my pride but for the longest time made me feel like i was letting down my parents and what we stood for.

i am starting school this jan. to become a pre-school teacher but i still wish i could of earned my camos. i love kids but i have always wanted to be an army of one.

i know my diabetes isn’t completely to blame. but at times i wish i could just wash my hands of it.

i am 18 yars old now almost 19 and have had diabetes for five and a half years. i have learned to live with it but at times i just wish it had happened to i donno maybe my little sister instead of me…well no, thats a lie, i wouldn’t wish this on anyone, not even my worst enemy.

it’ll take mefour years to finish school but i know that maybe, in the tiniest way i might thank my diabetes (don’t ask how) for making me change my career goals.

Sometimes what we wish for does not come our way,just to find another open road which is as challanging and lovely as the one we always hoped for.
Merry Christmas and wish you happy fulfilling career & life.

I remember when I was first daignosed, I took a weeklong diabetes education class, and the was a Navy kid in the class with me who was being medically discharged. He was frustrated too, because his career was pulled out from under him. There was also a newly diagnosed truck driver, who was losing his professional license. I would have to agree with Sohair, that I believe that when one door closes, another is opened. Maybe there is another way you can serve your country, or another career you have not come across yet. Maybe through your preschool job you will come across families that you will be able to help out due to your diabetes.

I think that as a Pre School teacher, you will be able to help so many kids, not in spite of , but because of your diabetes. You’ll not just help those families with diabetes, but with other diseases and chronic conditions. Your going to teach them things that they never thought possible, just by doing “your teaching thing.” The gifts that you’ll give by your example, and receive will be amazing and priceless. Good Luck!!!

I understand your plight, but like the others who have commented here, sometimes our plans aren’t necessarily the best plan. Please don’t look at the overall scheme as a failure, because your young, and you have plenty of time to figure out what your niche is. Let me share a short story with you.
I was raised in a dysfunctional family–my parents were very abusive. At the age of 16 I got drunk for the first time, at the age of 17 I was smoking pot, and by the time I was 18 years old, I was sticking needles in my arms strung out on amphetamines. I didn’t have a clue what I wanted out of life, and in my current condition what ever it was, it was never going to happen. I wound up in the U.S Navy, because I was constantly in trouble. Needless to say, I didn’t fair much better in the Navy, because I had huge problems with authority figures. I eventually wound up in a military pen, and it was in that place that I finally began to take an honest look at my life. But I still didn’t know what I wanted out of life.
Anyway to make a long story short, I got out of the Navy in 1980 with a Bad Conduct Discharge. I worked as an auto mechanic for the next 30 years, and hated it (it was what my father had done). In 2002 my family and I took a vacation to the Chattanooga, Tennessee area. We fell in love with the people and the country side. We went home and sold our house and moved to Ooltewah, Tennessee. My job didn’t pan out like it was supposed to–I was making about half what I was making in Texas, and I became very discouraged.
I eventually wound up in College and it was there I decided God had called me to the ministry. I graduated in December 2006 with a BA in Theology. I received a call to pastor two churches in southern Georgia and was put on the payroll two weeks before I graduated. I have been in south Georgia ever since.
The point is, we don’t always get to choose, what, when, or how its all going to happen, but we have to believe that there is a greater force at work in our lives, and it ain’t us. My very best got me locked up. Things happen for a reason, and we don’t always get to know the answer to that either. But if we’re persistent and patient, it will eventually work out, and one day we can look back and say "I understand."
I wish my life had been different, but it wasn’t. I wish I had tried out for the Navy Seals, but that was something else I failed to that I wanted to do, I wish I had gone to college when I was young, but I wasn’t ready–I never would have made it. I wish I had never been diagnosed with Diabetes, but I was. I was 50 years old when I graduated from College, and I had children that were older than the other students in my class, but I made the best of it. About a year and a half before I graduated I was diagnosed with Diabetes, and I was devastated. It was just another negative in my liife, and I knew it was going to take away everything I had worked for. But I determined in my heart I wasn’t running away and I wasn’t backing up. I bought a mountain bike and started exercising like a mad man. I changed my eating habits and lost 22 pounds. When I graduated from College I have two younger children my wife and I adopted as babies and they were there to see me graduate.
I have had my share of challenges since then, and some days I absolutely hate having Diabetes, but I understand its here to stay. Someday it may well put an end to my ministry, but not today. I refuse to let it get the best of me. I refuse to let it define who I am, and I will not go down without a fight.
I don’t write these things to tell you what a success I am, because I don’t view my life that way. There have been more failures in my life than successes. I write these things to encourage you. There is something for you to do, and in time you will discover exactly what it is. When you go to College take all the academic stuff first, because it may be that in time you will know exactly what it is you are supposed to do, and it may not be at all what you thought it was. Don’t beat yourself up because you didn’t get to fulfill your dream in the military. Put the past behind and press forward to what ever it is that awaits you. Your family will still love you, and they will understand, and we here at Tudiabetes will love you too. One day you will look back and you too will say, “I understand.” Do not let Diabetes rule your life, rather live your life and learn from the Diabetes, but always press forward, leaving the past behind.
Good luck to you, my friend. Nothing happens in God’s world by mistake.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Bobby D. Weldy

I can only imagine what you must be feeling. Life really throws us curve balls… and we sometimes don’t know why. I went to school for one thing (though I confess I didn’t feel as strongly about my major as it sounds like you felt in terms of wanting to serve in the military) and over time I ended up doing something different, and then since early 2008, I am doing something I would have NEVER imagined: working heading up a nonprofit.

I guess, like the other ones before me, that is my way of saying: things happen for a reason and I wish you find another way to channel your passion and love for your country, so that it doesn’t go unfulfilled.

I’ve had diabetes for 41 years. I worked for the Navy and the Joint Chiefs for 11 years at the Pentagon as a Programmer and Systems Analyst. It was very satisfying to know I was supporting our men and women in uniform.