A Favorite Dinner

Well, my new friend Diabetic Chef posted some recipes, so I will post a meal that is one of my favorites. It has three of my favorites, fish, a "mock" carb like dish and a green veggie.

Seared Salmon with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and Fried Green Beans

Serves 4

1 lb Wild Sockeye Salmon

3 tbs Soy Sauce

1 tbs minced garlic

1 tbs minced ginger

3 tbs olive oil

1 tbs brown sugar

2 tbs lemon juice

2 tbs capers

1 head cauliflower

1/4 c cream cheese

1/2 stick butter

1/2 c sour cream

2 tbs minced garlic

1 c parmesan

1 tbs pepper

1 tsp salt

1 lb whole green beans

3 tbs olive oil

2 tbs garlic

1/2 c minced onion

3 tbs soy sauce

Slice salmon into 3 oz portions. Mix soy, garlic ginger, sugar and lemon juice in bowl and marinate salmon for 15 minutes.

Cut up cauliflower into 1-2" portions. Steam cauliflower until tender. In a food processor mix cauliflower, butter (1/4 stick), sour cream and cream cheese until smooth. Often this takes some pulsing to get everything smooth. Use a spatula to rotate it around until it mixes and processes properly. Add salt, pepper,1/2 c parmesan and garlic (to taste). Place in oven safe dish. Cut remaining butter over top, sprinkle with remaining parmesan and bake at 300 deg F until rest of meal is ready.

Add 3 tbs olive oil to hot pan and add garlic and onion. When onion starts to turn transparent and garlic turn brown, add green bean and start frying. Keep frying until green beans start to turn slightly limp. Add soy sauce and continue frying until just limp and slightly crinkled.

Preheat oven to 250 deg F. Add olive oil to cast iron pan and eat to very high temperature. Thrown on marinate salmon, skin side up. Sear at high heat for 2 minutes. Turn Salmon over, skin side down, still on vaporizing high heat. Remove pan, spread capers over top and place in oven. Finish rest of meal, fish will properly cook over 10-20 minutes in the oven.

I these the elements in parallel, cauliflower first, placing in oven, then the fish and beans in parallel. The fish is tolerant of timing and when the green beans are properly fried, I can remove everything from the oven and serve. With practice, everything can be completed easily within 45 minutes, and with a bit of a rush within 30 minutes.

Just because you eat low carb, you can still eat gourmet healthy food. This meal is prepared from basically all whole foods.

Nutrition (per serving): 750calories, 55g fat, 20 g carbs, 43g protein

If you are trying to cut back on calories/fat, then cut back on the butter and parmesan, they are major sources of calories and fat

I like this. I can eat 20 g carbs. If you have more of this kind, you should be contributing with ecstatic glee to our mealtime happiness time after time. Don’t stop with just one meal!

I have this kind of meal all the time but I leave the sugar out, only because I prefer the taste without!

Mock mash made with cauliflower is a particular favourite, although I do mine without the cream cheese (use more sour cream with a touch of milk).

Another thing I do is I put the garlic in with the cauliflower to cook, so it’s not so harsh and it gets mashed with the rest at the end.