A late starter – advice

The heat is so oppressive here in the summer all day time walking is out the window - so I am trying to walk home in the evening 1 hour, three times a week. This will have to suffice for now because my schedule doesn’t permit much else.

I have relatives coming next month, your single-malt has just inspired me, here in an effort to conquer underage drinking they have upped all costs of spirits astronomically. I moved here 8 years ago and a bottle of arak was 18 shekels, now it’s 80! So you can quite imagine where single-malt falls into price ranges. But with travelling relatives who must pass duty-free, that may be changing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think this advice is often misconstrued.

Rather than eating what you want, I think more about eating what you need, but leave some space in your diet plan for what you want in smaller quantities.

Hmmm… that’s probably inelegant. What I am trying to get to is the body is a living organic thing. It is not a machine that can repeat everything exactly every time. It is dynamic. You can see this by just trying to eat the same thing every day at the same time with the same amount of insulin and the same amount of activity. Your BG results will have a pretty wide variation in spite of efforts to eliminate the variables. I think of this “eat what you want” advice as you can’t eat like a prisoner, eat sensibly and have a wide range of healthy, nutritional foods.

Our treatment of diabetes has to be dynamic as well.

For you, @Shea613, you do need to work on establishing some foundation to start from. The books recommended will help a great deal. I:C, ISF, Basal dosing (glad to see that you are already splitting that).

Ah yes, this old favorite. It’s no contradiction to what @Thas and @YogaO said to note that my favorite response to this was recently posted on another thread:

Bernstein has written about his law of small numbers. It basically says that fewer carbs drives taking less insulin which in turn means smaller mistakes.

This, to me, is the voice of someone who has actually experienced living with this disease. Some people do find “Eat what you want and dose for it” to be simple, followable advice, but a LOT of us find we need to rein that in considerably to avoid riding the BG roller coaster all over the place. In my case I restrict most of my carbs to midday meals (chiefly bread, because sandwiches are just so darned convenient compared to everything else) and keep it low-carb or no-carb in the evening because it’s just so darned hard to hit the carb-insulin number exactly on the nose, and then I find myself waking up the next morning with a higher fasting # than I like to see, or worse, risking an overnight low that at best is going to force me out of a sound sleep to gobble glucose tabs and at worst… well, we all know what at worst is.

To me it’s just a lot easier to Not Go There. Possibly because I had 20 years on the old R/N thing where there was a lot more Thou Shalt NOT and “eat what you want and dose for it” wasn’t possible, let alone recommended. Looooonnnng experience of just keeping my hands in my lap when the pastry plate comes around during weekly staff meetings and the like.

2 Likes

Potentially this is also the difference between what a newly diagnosed T1 is likely to be able to handle on top of the shock of the diagnosis in the first place…
as compared
To the experienced T1 who understands all the basics implicitly and is now ready to add additional complexities and fine tune the treatment at an individual level.

Most people have to walk before they can run…

1 Like

Yeah, Tim, that’s valid, but we are creatures of habit. If a newbie follows the “eat as desired and cover with insulin” path, more often than not they will end up needing to abandon it anyway, somewhere down the road, either because of weight gain or some other reason. It’s easier to not acquire a habit than to get rid of it after the fact—just ask any smoker. Much easier said than done, of course, but then most things about D are. The effort is worth making, IMHOP.

1 Like

I can see that, yes. Reminds me that even with the caveats we’ve all been raising it IS a lot easier than it used to was. I just remember being handed a No-No list with “BEER!” right at the top. Imagine the effect of that reality check on the tender sensibilities of a 28 yr-old guy just transitioning out of a career in rock music. Injections, pfah, I can deal. But you’re telling me beer…? It’s a wonder I even survived.

2 Likes

@DrBB - hold on a minute! NO BEER?

2 Likes

Don’t panic–that was then, this is now! If there is any merit to “eat what you want and bolus for it,” it certainly applies to beer. It’s a major health food after all. Mental health anyway.

1 Like

Tricky thing about beer is that its carb content varies pretty widely by brand and type, and it’s hard to get decent nutritional data as soon as you go beyond the major brewers. This list is not too bad:
http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

The problem I have with beer is the same I have with drinking something like regular coke or juice - if I bolus enough to prevent a massive spike I will go low, and if I don’t I will have the massive spike!

Glad to see some sanity has crept in over the years. Beer is, after all, one of the five basic food groups (Sugar, Salt, Alcohol, Caffeine and Preservatives).

3 Likes

As Dr. BB suggests beer and wine are essential sanity keepers. With regard to food there are lots of low carb recipes scattered all over the net. There is also a recipe section on this site, recipes that members have used or found that are low carb. Just click on the three horizontal lines at the top rh corner of the page and you will find the recipes section.
Good luck.

Hi Shea613 and welcome to a great group af people with a lot of knowledge and experiences to help with just about any problem you might have.
You have gotten some great advice and I agree knowledge is power. I after 46 years have started going back to take some classes the diabetes clinic I go to offers. While I know most of the stuff, every once in awhile I learn a new tidbit. It sounds like you didn’t get a lot of coaching at the beginning and if classes are an option, you should push your doctor/insurance for that.
And books are a great resource. One I would add is a new one by Adam Brown Bright Spots & Landmines the Diabetes Guide I wish Someone Had Handed Me.
Knowledge is power and you can do this. It is a long haul not a sprint. I always say little baby steps. Don’t try and fix everything at once. Small changes and start with something that will give you the biggest bang. Good luck and check in with your progress!