A little downer, but what happens as we age?

I am approaching 60. I have a pump and a CGM, plus the meter. What happens if I am unable to control all this technology? I am an adult learner professional and have made quick reference cards for my husband. But, as wonderful as he is, it freaks him out.

I know this is a downer topic, but WHAT DO WE DO? How do we teach our potential caregivers? How do we ensure that medical caregivers can help us over time? Do you have a plan?

I would appreciate discussion, please!

I know what you mean. I am a few years older than you. I too have a pump (Omnipod) and CGM (Dexcom). At this point, I only worry about my husband being able to assist me. What I do is ocassionally have him turn the pump off. To me that’s important in case I’m low and can’t do it myself. I have also had him test my blood. I haven’t had him give me any insulin at this point because I was mainly thinking about me being unable to do things myself due to low blood sugars. But you bring up a good point about taking care of us due to age. I sure hope I have a few more years before I have to worry about it, but you never know.

Intesting subject.

Linda

Like you, I’m approaching 60. I worry about being on Medicare and losing insurance coverage for things such as my Dexcom. Combine that with the difficulty of getting covered for more than 3-5 test strips a day. Scary.

But what I do fear the most is when I get to the point that I cannot take care of myself. Actually there is probably not much reason to worry because I fear a hospital or nursing home will kill me on my first day by giving me a Type 2 insulin dose. I am incredibly insulin sensitive and equally carb sensitive. My TDD of Novolog on my pump is currently 18.5. I don’t think that too many medical professionals understand the difference between Type 1 and Type 2. So when I hit a BG of 250 or 300, some well-meaning doctor or nurse will give me 10 units of insulin. And then it will be Good Night Irene.

I also feel sad knowing that I may not be able to benefit from newer technology as I age. I don’t see Medicare funding artificial pancreases for senior citizens. On the other hand, when I reach 65, I will have had Type 1 for 41 years and hopefully will be in good health. That’s probably more than any doctors would have envisioned for me back in 1976. I’ve always been afraid that I will meet my end in a car wreck in the throes of hypoglycemia. I have some really scary memories of lows while driving, although my pump and Dexcom have helped make those episodes a distant memory. I only pray that if that ever happens that I don’t injure or kill anyone else.

Growing old is not for sissies. Growing old with Type 1 is definitely not for sissies and I feel fortunate to be in my fourth decade of Type 1 and still fighting the battle.

I am soon to be 53 and have thought about all these things as well and I don’t have an answer, as I have never even shown my husband how to use my pump or meter, so I will be totally screwed. I think about this more and more as I see my 82 year old parents struggling bigtime, my dad with Parkinsons and my mother struggling with running the house and taking care of him.

Hi Lathump. I am reminded of other discussions about medical ID’s–I hope you are wearing at least one piece of ID jewelry that says “Type 1”. With Medic Alert, they seem to allow you to print pretty much whatever you want, so maybe you could give some brief instructions. With your experience, I think you’ll do OK for yourself.

I do wear a necklace that says Type 1 Diabetes/Insulin Dependent. The only time I take it off is for my annual mammogram. I’m not sure it will provide me much protection in a nursing home…

I’m 43 and this is already a concern to me!

I am older than any of you, early 70s, and this is definitely a worry. I don’t have kids to take care of me and my best friend, who helps out, is exactly my age. My friend, however, is one of those who is freaked out by giving injections, etc.
I do think the idea one of you posted about putting more specifics on a diabetes ID is a good idea. For pumpers, I think it is especially important to put the I:BG ratio so they know not to over or under dose us. I think I will put a small card in my wallet with all that critical info on it. And hope that a medical person would look for it if I were alone and something happened. The textbook starting standard is 1 unit for 50 mg BG. Mine is 1 unit to 30 mg. Everyone’s is unique and needs to be communicated.
I even mentioned this to my endo when we were discussing me getting a cgm. He totally misunderstood the question so I did not pursue it. I wondered how long my memory for all the stuff you have to know to handle pumping and cgm would hold out. Heck, even now I occasionally forget to bolus before a meal.

Mmmm. Interesting point. My mother after 7 years does not know the difference between a low and a high - offering me sugar for a high and an insulin injection for a low! However much I try to hammer it home, she still does not get it! (She is 74, a technophobe, and despite having had a video recorder and player still does not have a clue how to work it - after 11 years!) And ask for her computer - do not ask!

I do not know! Perhaps it is something I should look in to! Having said that, I would not know what to do with a pump either! Mathematics is my downfall - I am numerically dyslexic!

I hope you are kidding Alan. :frowning:

That’s an awesome motto!!

I never thought about adding T1 to my medic alert necklace. Need a new one anyway…

I do keep a wallrt card, and the necklace points to it. The card states that I am T1, lists contacts, and medications. I also have a small cd with my medical records on it from my primary doc.

Even with all that, I wonder if anyone will even look.

OT but the pump does the math for you! I am the same way re not being fond of numbers!!