A nice thing a friend said

Hello Everybody,

I wanted to share a thing that someone said to me recently about diabetes, since it made me feel better and maybe it can make feel others good too:
I met with a very dear friend around christmas and we spent some time together, and as we were sitting together over a glass of wine she said that seeing me handle my diabetes, only six months after diagnosis, surprised and amazed her. The fact that I seemed so in charge of my illness and so informed already, tackling all the issues with this kind of discipline and commitment was fascinating to her and actually was inspiring her to rethink her own relationship with her body and her health.
She said she felt huge respect and admiration for people with diabetes, she asked many questions and was very curious to learn and understand more about it.
The way she looked at things as a non-diabetic person left me feeling stronger and more courageous – it made me realise how important the right perspective can be when it comes to diabetes. Of course I m sure there are harder times ahead and I won't feel this positive all the time, but I m sure I will remember that conversation for a long time and it will help me get through those tricky phases easier.

What a wonderful compliment to you from your friend and how insightful of her. Diabetes is no fun, but it sounds as though you are on the right track of being strong and living a good life despite diabetes. Be sure to remember this conversation when you have other people say really stupid things to you.

Doing a decent job with diabetes is quite an accomplishment. I had a weird thing the first time I went to the doctor for years after blowing them off and he came in and gave me a little pin type of doo-dad he got from a pharmaceutical sales rep that said "<7%" and went "your A1C is 5.8, I was suprised [as I hadn't seen a doc for like 5-10 years...] but they don't make these that say '<6%' so that's what I've got" and I was like "cool". I had some ups and downs after that but there's a lot to be said for keeping your head in the game.

Excellent anecdote. Important to remember that you're thriving, not just surviving.