Accept diabetes?

How do you accept diabetes, make it your own? I have alot of trouble with that.
Getting my mind around that it’s not going to go away.

I like to add a few quotes , which I borrowed ( because they make sense to me ) and hope these are helpful : 1 ) knowledge is power …research , communicate with others , who have diabetes , here at TU , support group, your health team etc. 2 ) when you know better , you do better 3 ) information is vitally important to your success( living with diabetes ) , but it is only half of the solution . We need to apply our learning, until they become new habits . Knowing is not nearly as important as doing Number 3 quote is by a person living with diabetes
PS I did not ask permission to quote the quotes, however am sure OK , that I did .

I never really “accepted” diabetes but I like to think it keeps me in balance with my health. Diabetes makes sure I eat right and also live a healthy lifestyle.

For me it happened the day after diagnosis. I went out fishing and decided its the sh*ts, but I wasn’t going to let it stop me from living my life.

Having diabetes makes you special.
It makes you unique among all people.
It means you get to treat yourself special, eat special foods and engage in special routines that nobody else, except a special few, get to particpate in.
It means you can speak a special language that only you understand.
Revel in your specialness, but don’t brag about it or let it go to your head.
Keep it to yourself unless you need to give it away.
That’s how you own it.

Terry

Hi. Don’t think any of us accepts the condition BUT you learn to live with it. You can live a NORMAL life. Be more active and healthy than other people that don’t have diabetes. When I get “down” I try my best to have an “attitude of grattitude” and try not to focus on the “diabetes” all the time. Hang in there. It will get better.
Kind Regards
Riana

Life is divine chaos
Fall in Love or fall in Hate.
Get inspired or be depressed.
Ace a test or flunk a test.
Make babies or make art.
Speak the truth or lie and cheat.
Dance on table or sit in the corner.
Life is divine chaos. Embrace it.
Forgive yourself. Breathe.
And enjoy the ride.

For me, being diagnosed with diabetes felt like a part of me had died. Looking back, I see that I went through the five stages of grief outlined by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model) : Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and then finally acceptance. For me acceptance came not just by realizing that this was just something I had to deal with and move on, but that diabetes became part of my identity. And that part of my identity has in certain ways made me a better person, I take better care of myself and am far fitter than I ever was. I am a diabetic, and being diabetic is just part of what makes me who I am.

After I was diagnosed 13 years ago as a type 1 diabetic at the age of 28, I went through therapy. I was angry. It took a good year or so, but I got to a point where I figured out where to put diabetes in my life. Its a part of my life, but its not all of my life. I’ve educated myself, I educate others. I have 3 children, ages 5, 8 and 11, and they’ve only known me as a diabetic. They are also advocates for me and help me.

Find a good support group. I have one and its awesome being with people who know what you live with on a daily basis. Its one thing to tell a non diabetic about your issues, but they won’t get it. These people walk the walk.

And be good to yourself and take care of yourself. Its the best thing you can do.

Varena - you stole my words right out of my mouth! I feel exactly the way you do!!

Thank-You, These are better answers then I’m getting here at home. It’s mostly suck it up, get over it, learn to live with
it, quite it, it’s your life now. I do talk to my sister and she’s the only one who understands as she is type 2. I know afew people around here with it but they have had way longer then I have and it’s just part of life to them.I have had this for almost 4 years now with the first 2 years not doing anything about it. I let my mom do all the appt. and give me shots 2x aday, feed me the right stuff ect.she was really good at it and i just went along for the ride.Last year I finally kicked her out of my Dr. visits,made my diet even more strict, and am trying to handle it myself, but it’s hard I am waiting for this to go away.It isn’t.Accepting it is hard! I love the anwers I got here, can I copy some to put into my binder? So I can read them over, please.

When I was diagnosed I was scared… then I just had to tell myself that it wasn’t going to go away. I did so much research to understand the disease and after you understand it it’s not scary anymore. Diabetes is a part of me, it’s made me who I am today. I like what was said in a blog. Diabetes isn’t something that holds me down, but rather something that raises me up.

For me, it has always helped to tell myself what I tell my high school students. There is not a parallel universe where such-and-such didn’t happen to you and you got to go forward living some better life. There is one path and it’s YOUR life. There isn’t a non-diabetic version of you laughing over a hot fudge sundae somewhere without a care in the world. There is only you…and diabetes is a new aspect to who you already are. Another layer.

I think about the friendships I’ve made here because of diabetes, the knowledge I have about my own body, the conversations it has sparked, etc. There’s not an aspect of diabetes I’m thankful for or that I like, but I decided early that life is a one-shot deal and I’m going to live a meaningful one. And I don’t have a choice about whether or not diabetes has to play into that.

It makes me extra sweet and keeps me from doing impulsive things that I will most likely regret

When I was little, Diabetes scared me and made me cry.
When I was a Teenager, Diabetes made me mad and it got in my way.
When I was a young Adult it boggled my mind.

As I matured, I slowly learned the facts about Diabetes
from many sources and how it and all the other elements
affected my body and my mind. I was an uncertified Scientist
where trial and error was and still is the norm.

I eventually decided that the needle wasn’t as Bad as I
had thought and neither was Diabetes, once I
had all the pegs in the right holes.

Diabetes doesn’t scare me or make me cry any more
and it only occasionally makes me mad. It’s just another
minor task that I must perform daily. Insulin and my meter
are my Best Friends.

You can do this. Good Luck!! :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed less than 2 months ago and I still play this game that I’m not really diabetic, not like other diabetics. I know that’s stupid too. Diabetes doesn’t go away but I wish it would.

Terrie …very well said …love you …

Hi HB,
You never accept it, you just adapt to it. I was in denial for quite a while, My physician said Denial is a river (smile).
I am from a family of diabetics and did not want to accept the fact that I was different from a lot of other people, so I ate whatever I wanted. I am taking control of my life now and taking the necessary steps to stay on top of this disease. My glucose readings are getting better. I limit my carbs, which I love(smile). Every day I go to tu diabetes for support, and I read the blogs here and research and gather as much info as I can. I agree with Nel peach knowledge is power. Cynthia

You just try your best to do what your told. Not do it your way (or atleast that’s what I’ve learned). My way always found me waking up in a hospital either too high or way too low. Your the only one who can accept it your way. Ok a little bit of the Type 1 for 36 years talking here so ignore me if you think it best.

I wearr myy pump prouddd!!(: