Adding Insulin --- what's that about?

I have a sick feeling in my stomach that after my next A1C and other tests we might be adding insulin to the mix of my meds and treatment.

I’m NOT against this, but not necessarily sold on it either for many reasons.

I didn’t know where to post this, so am putting it on both the type I and type II threads.

Tell me your experience with adding insulin to your treatment plan. How did you go about the change, how did it work out for you. I do realize that we are all different, but generalizations will do.

No need for panic and long explanations…just simple information will suffice.

Thanks,

Hi Cathy,
I also had a sick feeling in my stomach when I was told that I needed to add insulin. I felt that I had somehow failed in my approach to treatment. I got past that and have been on Lantus for about 4 years now. My last A1C was 5.6 so I believe it really was for the better. Also it wasn’t until I had done some reading and found that there are some in the medical profession who believe that aggressive treatment of type 2 by using insulin as part of the treatment actually delays the progression of the disease. 14 years in as a type 2 and I’m very pleased with the way my health is. No complications other than the progression of being in a 52 year old body. Of course you are the one that has the control in your situation, so listen to the wide ranges of experience you’ll find here and you’ll make an informed decision. I hope this helps.

Pat

Insulin is a tool in your treatment plan. It is in no way a failure, although it’s perfectly normal to feel that way at first. I found that I needed it after 10 years of treatment because the strategies I had been using over time became less effective. I was negative at first & I did procrastinate in doing it, but wish I hadn’t now. The only downside for me has been a small weight gain - about 7 pounds over 7 months - but, that stablized in the 8th month & I’ve been on it now for over one year. I would do it again.

Some people find they can actully cut down and no longer need some of their Type II meds wth a little bit of insulin. … More importantly you will probably feel better… Insulin is not a sign you failed, oftentime the drugs become less effective, due to changes in your body, that are NOT YOUR DOING… Seriously, iv seen a Type II or two who actually changed their life for the better with a daily dose of lantus,.

To all: So, I am on a plan to loose about 50 lbs, if insulin will put on weight, won’t I be defeating myself that way?
Or is there a way to combat that>? I hate having to take one away to get the other.

IInsulin and weight gain

Yes you will gain a little, but you can offset it with diet and exercise, and as you lose weight, youll need less insulin (usually)… so you can spin the what starts as a little defeating cycle in the direction you want to go :wink:

In my personal experience, i went from taking Metaformin for about 2 weeks before going into severe DKA and finding out that the clinic had mis diagnosed me with type 2, to having to take shots 3 times a day. It was a difficult transition, not being afraid of needles but not really keen on the idea of having to stab myself so often, but soon after I started to feel so much better and my health improved dramatically.

I started insulin 1 year after diagnosis and I felt better immediately. Which led to better weight loss for me. I had the energy to excercise and didn’t have the ‘gotta take a nap’ feeling after eating. My spikes where huge after eating, even with a extremely low carb meal. I have come to that point where I still need to lose 40 pounds and am having difficulty. But that happens normally.

Wish spring was here, it would be so much easier to get more excercise…

I lost weight on insulin. It had to do with the number of carbs and calories I was taking. I asked for a nutrition plan for 1300 calories when I first started insulin. I knew anything more would be more than what I usually ate. So I never did gain weight and haven’t in all the years of diabetes.