Adventures in Hospitalland -Part 2

While I was in the ER, medical personnel asked me many questions about the meds I took for my maladies. One of these people was a hospitalist ( a doc who works at a hospital, but has no outside practice.) When discussing insulin, she said I would be put on a sliding scale. I said NO I WON"T, the sliding scale is out-dated and an old way of dosing insulin. She looked at me confused and said how do you dose your insulin ? I said I count my carbs and dose according to how much food I will be eating. ( I skipped telling her about I:C ratio, I didn't think she would understand it) She said how much insulin do you take with each meal ? I said between 2-6 units. OK she said, I'll put that down for the nurse. So when I went up to my room, the nurses would ask ME before each meal how much insulin I wanted. Of course, this was after my BG was taken. This reenforced the idea of being your own advocate. I am definitely not intimidated by doctors. I hope you are not also.

Wow, Cat, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!
I am surprised the hospitalist was so easily convinced to let you do your own dosing. Usually they are not.
Did you get the right things to eat?

GOOD FOR U CAT!!!!!!!

Well done!

Great job. Cat... Glad you were NOT intimidated and asked for what was aprorpriate for you.

God bless,
Brunetta

Inspiring!