After a false start, success - and some unexpected positive feedback

I can finally say with confidence that we’re having success with the pump now. Still making adjustments to the basal overnight (we keep getting morning lows) but it does seem to be working well now that we got those defective reservoirs out of the picture.

I had an interesting encounter this morning. Mom, the boys and I all went to a restaurant for breakfast, and as I always do, I asked the waitress to bring Eric exactly 1 cup of milk, specifying that I wanted it measured. She gave me that “what are you, some sort of wacko?” look that prompts me to explain that Eric has diabetes so I need to keep careful track of what he eats, and upon hearing that she expressed surprise that one so little should have diabetes. I never miss a chance to broaden horizons so I explained that more and more children are being diagnosed younger and younger, and that I’d heard of children even younger than Eric being diagnosed, too.

Just after the waitress left, a man in a booth nearby leaned over and said he’d heard what I had told the waitress, and wanted to know how it was I’d figured out that Eric had diabetes. I explained to him about the symptoms and gave an on-the-spot tutorial about Type 1 diabetes. They were fascinated by the insulin pump. Not long after, as the man was leaving with his wife and kids, he turned back and said, “It’s amazing to me that a parent can do what you’re doing. Keep up the good work.” I’m not sure why it was so touching coming from this total stranger–the sincerity in his face, maybe–but I almost cried.

Man, but it’s been a tough 11 months! And yet it’s so much easier now than it was those first two weeks. I do know that I couldn’t do it without everyone on this site!

Its good to be able to talk to people that know the life that you live. Our routines and habits are sometimes looked as weird from people on the outside or who dont understand what requirements we need to make a good day. I know it must be harder when its a child since its harder for them to express what they are going through. It is good to meet a stranger that makes us feel good about what we do. Have a good day and take care. This is an uplifting story you told.

great story, Elizabeth. I remember when you joined TuDiabetes. Some things do get easier, and I’m sure Eric is able to do more things for himself as he grows up, too. I’m so proud of you for taking the time to talk to the people about diabetes. That is what we’re all about here! I recently had the chance to meet Manny Hernandez and his family in San Francisco. Although I’ve had diabetes 42 years, I feel the same way: I don’t know if I could do it without Manny and my friends here.

I couldn’t agree with the “stranger” more. You are amazing and an inspiration!