Air Bubbles While Loading Pods?

Has anyone had a hard time removing the air from the syringe while loading the new pods. With the old system I simply tapped a few times and inject back into the vial (just like with daily shots). With the new needles I cannot get the air out. I have tried everything and am now to the point where I simply fill the pods even with the air in. I have talked to Insulet as well as my trainer and they have not heard of any issues. I'm on my third box of the new pods and have had 5 failures so I dont know if the air has anything to do with it or not.

Just curious what everyone else has noticed. I was on the old pods for 3 years and never had any issues.

I was having the same issue, but learned a great trick on this message board. I fill the syringe with more insulin than I need. Then I remove it from the vial and tap the air bubbles to the top/plunger side. I am then able to fill the pod and stop before I even get to the bubbles. I simply put the rest of the insulin into the vial. This system works great for me, but it might not work if you require the maximum amount of insulin. Hope this helps.

-N

I do similar, but have found that even pushing the plunger down 100% doesn't seem to push any air into the pod. I don't push hard at the end, but just until I feel the plunger want to stop.

I haven't noticed any difference.

I have the same problem. The needle is much smaller and sometimes not centered at the top of the syringe....which makes it hard to get all the bubbles out.

I have the same problem. The needle is much smaller and sometimes not centered at the top of the syringe....which makes it hard to get all the bubbles out.

Daft question from me - does it really matter if air enters the Pod? I'm a new user and don't need the maximum amount of insulin, so haven't bothered too much with the air bubbles - now wondering if this could be causing erratic results!

I was told to avoid air bubbles at all costs. I do and I have not had any issues.

Thanks for that - do you have a magical way of removing the tiny air bubbles?

Posted this in another discussion a few weeks ago. It might help...

Thanks again Dave! I don't actually need the pod full of insulin, so only ever fill with 159 units - presumably this is okay.

The minimum fill level is 85 units, I use that level as I use Humulin R-500 and it is 5x normal insulin. I've never filled it less than that and always 'waste' at least 15-23 units. Has anyone ever filled it less than the 85? I know there are problems filling OVER the max of 200..